Razr hd / hd maxx 4.4.2 rooting and unlocking - get it while you can!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Thanks billycar11!

From the description I see that the script will flash a 760MB file, the KK 4.4.2 (KDA20.62-10.1). So I won't be afaid that when I wait for some months even if Moto patched their OTA for this bootloader exploit, the unpatched bootloader is still in (KDA20.62-10.1), which I assume is build 183, so I will still be able to use this exploit, as long as my phone is in JB (4.2) state?

There's two things to be aware of. First, it's not the bootloader you should be concerned with. It's the TZ (trusted zone) partition. That's where the unlock exploit lives. Second, however, is that the phone must be rooted to unlock. So let's say the next OTA by some miracle doesn't patch the TZ but does patch root. You'd be unable to unlock as a result of no root. So, you want to stay on KDA20.62-10.1 build 183 until you unlock. That is the version that can be rooted and will allow the unlock. Any OTA update will update the TZ partition, after which, it's likely game over again.

Reactions: xknobi

xknobi

Jul 21, 2013
there is no jb 4.2 i think you mean 4.1..2 . but you will not be able to use it on jelly bean you need to update to kitkat root then unlock.
Sorry I said it wrong about the version.

But yes, I mean of course after using your script to flash my JB to KK, which only uses the ROM you provided. This will not be affected by whatever Moto does to their future OTA and I will always be able to unlock my XT926 with the method above (1-4). Have I understood it correctly?

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

There's two things to be aware of. First, it's not the bootloader you should be concerned with. It's the TZ (trusted zone) partition. That's where the unlock exploit lives. Second, however, is that the phone must be rooted to unlock. So let's say the next OTA by some miracle doesn't patch the TZ but does patch root. You'd be unable to unlock as a result of no root. So, you want to stay on KDA20.62-10.1 build 183 until you unlock. That is the version that can be rooted and will allow the unlock. Any OTA update will update the TZ partition, after which, it's likely game over again.

Thanks for the detailed explaination SamuriHL. My concern is that when I get hand on my phone again after like 2 months, I will not be able to unlock it anymore if Moto brings out some OTA which fix the exploit again. But from the discussion above, I think as long as the phone stays as it is (9.18.96), after 2 months, I will still be able to unlock it using KDA20.62-10.1 build 183 with your method. Is that right?

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Right, if it stays as is and no OTA is installed from here until you get your hands on it, then you use the 183 FXZ with my KEEP DATA script (NOT UNIVERSAL) to upgrade it to KK, root it with tr apk (grab a copy of that now as well just so you have it), unlock with motoapocalypse apk and you're done. At that point unlocked and can FXZ to the latest version without worry.

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Rooted and unlocked using the apk's. Doesn't get any easier than that. Now what is the preferred custom recovery for most of you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

TWRP 2.7.1.0 as mentioned before. Link in thread on page two, or search the original development section under the RAZR HD thread sections. Nothing is any easier than TWRP. Already confirmed working on stock 4.4.2

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Sorry I said it wrong about the version.

But yes, I mean of course after using your script to flash my JB to KK, which only uses the ROM you provided. This will not be affected by whatever Moto does to their future OTA and I will always be able to unlock my XT926 with the method above (1-4). Have I understood it correctly?

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Thanks for the detailed explaination SamuriHL. My concern is that when I get hand on my phone again after like 2 months, I will not be able to unlock it anymore if Moto brings out some OTA which fix the exploit again. But from the discussion above, I think as long as the phone stays as it is (9.18.96), after 2 months, I will still be able to unlock it using KDA20.62-10.1 build 183 with your method. Is that right?

Personally I would do this ASAP and go as far as you can BEFORE the new software is pushed out. Right now you can go as far as updating will let you. After the new update is released it becomes trickier (where do I stop, what update is the one to root and unlock on, etc.)

Just do it now before the update (and likely the patch) are released and you're screwed because of an accidental update too far or something.

Last edited:

xknobi

Jul 21, 2013
Right, if it stays as is and no OTA is installed from here until you get your hands on it, then you use the 183 FXZ with my KEEP DATA script (NOT UNIVERSAL) to upgrade it to KK, root it with tr apk (grab a copy of that now as well just so you have it), unlock with motoapocalypse apk and you're done. At that point unlocked and can FXZ to the latest version without worry.

Fine, I will make the preparation and after 2 month, vola! I can't let my father do it, too complicate for him to make all things right. :laugh:

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Personally I would do this ASAP and go as far as you can BEFORE the new software is pushed out. Right now you can go as far as updating will let you. After the new update is released it becomes trickier (where do I stop, what update is the one to root and unlock on, etc.)

Just do it now before the update (and likely the patch) are released and you're screwed because of an accidental update too far or something.

That would I do if I have it at my hand. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I take no credit for any of the work done in the links below, and am not the first to discover or prove any of this works. All I know is it works for now, and felt the best way was to start a brand new thread with both links contained to get the message to as many people as possible. And another soak test is coming from Motorola, so GET ROOT AND UNLOCKED WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!

Towelroot verified WORKING to root the 4.4.2 HD and HD MAXX:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=135540530

Unlocking possible again as well, after using Towelroot:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783912
    Word of warning, if you used my UNIVERSAL script to flash 183 onto your phone, you must either manually flash the TZ partition or use my KEEP DATA script before rooting an unlocking else it will fail.
    yes but there may be some jumping through hoops like unrooting or sbfing but you will not lose any data and you can just reroot by flashing a superuser.zip . unless moto goes from nice to evil and this ota re locks boot loaders:eek:

Stop that. :) They're not going to relock the bootloader. :) However, screw OTA's. Wait for the FXZ to leak and use my RSD Script Generator to create a KEEP DATA or UNIVERSAL script and flash that with RSD. Flash custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) and flash supersu zip and be done with the whole thing. Forget unrooting and trying to make the OTA work. Too much effort. LMAO :D

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

See what you've done? These poor people are now paranoid about bootloader relocking. LOL! They won't relock it. It's physically blowing an eFuse to do the unlock. Relocking would be extremely problematic and cause more problems than they'd solve. And given the likelihood that this was "accidentally" done (cough cough) in the first place, there's an almost 0 chance of relocking.
    The warranty concern is nonsense. PLENTY of people sent back unlocked phones and no one ever complained. Yes, the soak emails were known about last night which is why we've been trying like hell to get this message out to everyone to get it done NOW. It's an almost certainty that the TZ partition will be secured again. And root will almost assuredly be patched since it was patched in the linux kernel on june 3rd. Unlocking is the surefire way of keeping root forever, and getting to play with new roms which is awesome. Plus, don't like kitkat? Downgrade with my UNIVERSAL script. (Yes, the one that's causing some problems for people unlocking. LOL). We can not stress this enough...NOW is the time to unlock before it's too late. I can't even begin to describe how lucky you all are.
    Good to hear. I want everyone with these phones to do so. This is a great opportunity. No one should be sitting on the fence this time. :)