[Q] Touch Screen Responsiveness

Search This thread

horsemom

Feb 5, 2011
Device: Nook Color rooted to 1.1

I had my Nook Color in the car today (40 degrees or so), pulled it out to show her what it looked like rooted. While standing in the driveway showing her different things, I found the touch screen was overly sensitive. As I was scrolling through different things (the app list, twitter, facebook), the slightest touch would select/open an item. It normally doesn't do this. It was incredibly frustrating and almost unusable. I pulled it out later and it seems to be behaving like it normally does.

Does temperature affect the NC screen? Where they any touch screen changes in 1.1? Is there a setting to calibrate the touch screen? I can't seem to find one. Any other suggestions?

I tried doing a search on the forum, but the search crashed.

Thanks.

robjective

Dec 13, 2007

zdrifter

Aug 31, 2010
Jupiter, Fl
Guessing what you experienced was due to condensation on the screen. Doesn't take much and can be 'invisible' to you but the screen is sensitive to 'stuff' on the screen and will become overly sensitive if there is anything on it, like moisture, skin oils, etc .. a screen protector may help but unless it continues that is probably the cause.

foxdl99

Aug 1, 2010
North East, MD
My daughter accidentally got a little water on the screen and it was a little erratic. I put it in a ziplock with a handful of rice for about 6 hours and it was like new.

migrax

Feb 5, 2011
I have owned 3 nook colors, the first one I owned freaked out when I used a damp cloth to wipe the screen. It exhibited some strange behavior and emitted some loud static from the speaker. It would not power down or anything... finally it just went back to normal, so I took it back to B&N and then went and bought one at walmart. I took it back because I thought I wanted the Viewsonic G Tablet. But after trying it I finally bought a Nook Color at Best Buy, bought a screen protector too so that I don't have a repeat of my first NC. The screens on these things are, I believe, rather sensitive and the cold or the moisture may have played a part in your unit's behavior.

migrax

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
I'd be interested in a solution for this as well, since the edges of my NC screen seems to be a lot less sensitive. For instance, when the Market is launched, it takes 4-5 tries to hit the search button at the right top corner (I know that I can hit menu and select search from there, but I am trying to illustrate my point).

don_ernesto

Nov 19, 2010
I'd be interested in a solution for this as well, since the edges of my NC screen seems to be a lot less sensitive. For instance, when the Market is launched, it takes 4-5 tries to hit the search button at the right top corner (I know that I can hit menu and select search from there, but I am trying to illustrate my point).

this modified kernel solves that
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=925451

and you'll also get a speedier nook :)

willverduzco

User Experience Admin
Staff member
Apr 30, 2010
Manassas, VA
It's funny, actually... The cold makes your skin less detectable because of vasoconstriction in your fingers as a physiological response to the cold temperature, but a hint of moisture by means of condensation has the opposite effect.

For me, condensation is rarely a problem, but the decreased capillary blood flow effect is quite noticeable.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

Hextall

Sep 7, 2010
One thing that's been mentioned before (and the B&N salesman told me while buying a screenprotector) is that if the screen has a lot of fingerprints, it'll make the nook act weird.

Try wiping the screen of fingerprints.

don_ernesto

Nov 19, 2010
Is it safe to assume that the screen sensitivity would not be an issue in Honeycomb since it is designed for tablets? If so, I may just wait for the final release of HC before fiddling with different kernels,etc. Thanks!

final realease of HC? no one knows if we will ever have one...... anyhow, it seems to be a fix at kernel level (had to be fixed in eclair, froyo and HC), and it fact, it was discovered by deeper (the guy who ported our HC version)

my suggestion? go for it now. the sensitivity problem is way too bothersome, and it is very easy to apply

Last edited:

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
final realease of HC? no one knows if we will ever have one...... anyhow, it seems to be a fix at kernel level (had to be fixed in eclair, froyo and HC), and it fact, it was discovered by deeper (the guy who ported our HC version)

my suggestion? go for it now. the sensitivity problem is way too bothersome, and it is very easy to apply

Thanks again for the reply.

Yes, I'd love to take care of it ASAP, since I'm sick of trying to hit a small button on the screen and going somewhere else instead.

My NC was rooted with B&N 1.1 + Autonooter 3.0. Will I still be able to "apply" the changes that you mentioned on top of that or do I have to start from scratch?

Thanks!

don_ernesto

Nov 19, 2010
My NC was rooted with B&N 1.1 + Autonooter 3.0. Will I still be able to "apply" the changes that you mentioned on top of that or do I have to start from scratch?
Thanks!

go ahead! you won't loose any app or any data (not even your progress in Angry Birds)

Of course, before applying this changes i always make a backup. good to have a way back in case something goes wrong

winkler1b

Jul 14, 2010
Good test tool

I ran GoJimi's tool, and since then my screen has been flipping out. Typing anything is a good test...I enter one key like "z", and get 2 - "zm". Utterly maddening.

A good tool to see what's going on is "Mutitouch Test" from JerryW in the market.

When I press with one finger, I see a "phantom" 2nd point jumping around. Very quick way to see 1) how good tracking is and 2) if there's any random inintended multitouch action happening.

Top Liked Posts