Wireless charging Orb

Search This thread

sumit999

Nov 21, 2012
Guys I m a lot confused for the wireless charging option b/w t orb or a pad. Gonna use it @ my desk and @ home on my side table. I feel a pad will b more suitable for t bedside to charge overnight while t orb on t desk. Will b using t phone for calls while charging too. Totally confused ....drop in ur views to help me take a decision.:confused:

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using xda app-developers app

DarkShoko

Dec 14, 2012
I want it but the price is such a turn off
70 bucks for charging my nexus 4?
oh wait now I understand why they dont fix the battery life problems.. they want us to buy all the chargers!

ryan stewart

Jan 4, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I want it but the price is such a turn off
70 bucks for charging my nexus 4?
oh wait now I understand why they dont fix the battery life problems.. they want us to buy all the chargers!

A. all but the nameless Chinese models sold on ebay/amazon with a sketch warranty are the same or more and don't display the phone with magnets.
B. battery problems? My phone has an excellent battery. Its just a really powerful smartphone and you aren't going to get a week on a battery with it.
C. If you cant afford it don't get it, it still doesn't make it subversive.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Guys I m a lot confused for the wireless charging option b/w t orb or a pad. Gonna use it @ my desk and @ home on my side table. I feel a pad will b more suitable for t bedside to charge overnight while t orb on t desk. Will b using t phone for calls while charging too. Totally confused ....drop in ur views to help me take a decision.:confused:

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using xda app-developers app

Im winning an auction for one of the LG pads and now I am really hoping I lose so I can put that money towards another pod.

Talk or not the pod is superior. It secures the phone with magnets, it cant be easily bumped off or vibrate off from a call. It has a rubberized base and without a risk of movement or bumping its less likely to scratch the back of the phone. Also, it displays the phone making the screen easier to glance at if you get a notification.

NoL1m1tZ

Jul 16, 2012
Ogden
Just for the sake of rationalizing, Based off of this thread the orb only costs around 35 bucks disregarding shipping and tax. Sure you can get a cable and block for much cheaper than that, but if you use those prices this dock comes out to be much cheaper than most other qi chragers. Also consider that since it gets power from a micro USB you can use the cable for other things if you needed to, same with the power adapter. On most of the other qi chargers I have seen they do not use a micro USB for power instead using the wall wort to pole connector (the Vu being the exception that comes to mind).

m3lover1

Jun 12, 2010
California
My ups my choice account said its supposed to be at my door today. Lets see if its true when I get home from work today

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

And what do you know...just checked my email again...its actually my brother's package...idiotic me was still have asleep when I read the email this morning. :shakeshead:

UberSlackr

Apr 5, 2012
Anyone know if this will work through a Case, or will it need to be removed so it will connect to the Charging Orb?
I want one, but don't want to remove the case every time I need to charge...

(Possibly been asked already, but I've gone through 15+ pages already and saw nothing)

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
;)
Anyone know if this will work through a Case, or will it need to be removed so it will connect to the Charging Orb?

(Possibly been asked already, but I've gone through 15+ pages already and saw nothing)

Because no one actually has the orb yet, we are all assuming it will based on the LG and Engergizer chargers that we use.

enviii

May 8, 2012

It's not about whether it will charge, it's about whether or not the magnets will even hold the phone up through the case... You have to remember that without the magnets it will slide right off. So the question here is how strong are the magnets.

UberSlackr

Apr 5, 2012
;)

Because no one actually has the orb yet, we are all assuming it will based on the LG and Engergizer chargers that we use.

Kinda came to that conclusion too.. Just didn't know if anyone has used the Wireless Charging feature with a case on a different charging Pad/"Orb." Usually a company would send out Review Devices to select people, to get the word out and let people know more about the product.. but doesn't seem to be the case with Google. Just hate to order one of these at a $60+ price tag, and it not work through my case. Although its pretty slim (clear back)...

There also seems to be mixed messages about it having Magnets, or just using the Rubber Surface for Grip..
But I would assume it would require the Magnets to active DayDreams (Dock Screen).. but it could just be activated from the connection made via the wireless charging..

I guess I will just hold off on ordering, and wait for some reviews to come out.. Hopefully they will mention the effectiveness of the Orb when a Case is in use.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

It's not about whether it will charge, it's about whether or not the magnets will even hold the phone up through the case... You have to remember that without the magnets it will slide right off. So the question here is how strong are the magnets.

Well couldnt the Rubber Surface help in holding it up? The back of my case is not "smooth" (slippery might be a better term)..

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
Kinda came to that conclusion too.. Just didn't know if anyone has used the Wireless Charging feature with a case on a different charging Pad/"Orb." Usually a company would send out Review Devices to select people, to get the word out and let people know more about the product.. but doesn't seem to be the case with Google. Just hate to order one of these at a $60+ price tag, and it not work through my case. Although its pretty slim (clear back)...

There also seems to be mixed messages about it having Magnets, or just using the Rubber Surface for Grip..
But I would assume it would require the Magnets to active DayDreams (Dock Screen).. but it could just be activated from the connection made via the wireless charging..

I guess I will just hold off on ordering, and wait for some reviews to come out.. Hopefully they will mention the effectiveness of the Orb when a Case is in use.

There will be a plethora of reviews and takes on the orb when they come rolling in to us end users. If you can hold on that would be your best bet. I'll def let you all know if no one has reported yet.

UberSlackr

Apr 5, 2012
There will be a plethora of reviews and takes on the orb when they come rolling in to us end users. If you can hold on that would be your best bet. I'll def let you all know if no one has reported yet.

Can definitely hold on.. Charging via USB works well enough..lol. Only with my luck, once I'm ready to order - it will be Sold Out.

Thank you for the offer to let me know how it works with a case.. It's much appreciated.

thos25

Aug 19, 2011
Blm-Normal IL
I would have gotten it if I didn't already have the LG charging mat. I'm not spending 70 on another charger though when I just got the mat last month.

In the future Google should try to get these accessories out a little sooner.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
I think many of you that are complaining about the price fail to realize google has to recoup the cost of "losing" money on the phone. I wont be buying one immediately but within the next six months yes. Im not hoping for a price drop just a paycheck increase (lol).

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
Google really needs to find a way to provide free shipping, I was more than willing to pay for it on my Nexus 7, not thrilled with a $350 phone costing $390 after it was said and done, but now with the accessories, it seriously makes them less attractive. I understand they aren't a retail company and thus don't ship enough stuff to get a discount from ups or FedEx but still their are ways, like partnering with another retail company, or having a free shipping option that takes say a week instead of 2 days. Also almost any nexus product you gotta wait a while for it to ship anyway so I feel like I'm getting ripped on 2 day shipping. Sorry but in my book 2 day shipping mean I get my product 2 days after I ordered it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: eollie and _ice_

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Bowling Green, KY
I'm afraid everyone wanting to use a case with this charger will be sadly disappointed. Common sense tells me it won't hold to the base with the back covered.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey guys not sure if anyone has said this yet but you can charge the phone with the orb when it's off without doing any weird trickery. Turn the phone off. Put it on the Orb. Hold down the power button like you're trying to turn it on and the battery icon should pop up instead of the phone booting up.
    List of Qi Charger

The following is list of charger that conform to Qi charging standard (that I know of):

- (Hitachi) Maxell AirVoltage WP-PD10 (rebranded as Energizer Dual Inductive Charger)
    - (Hitachi) Maxell AirVoltage WP-PD10S (rebranded as Energizer Single Inductive Charger)
    - (Hitachi) Maxell AirVoltage WP-QIST10
    - Panasonic Chargepad (QE-TM101)
    - LG WCP-700 Qi Charger
    - Zens Wireless Single Charger
    - Zens Wireless Dual Charger
    - Nokia FatBoy Pillow
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi12, a.k.a Nokia charging plate (for Lumia 920 and 820)
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q9 Single Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q100 Single Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q200 Dual Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Q300 Dual Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi300 Single Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi400 Dual Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi500 Dual Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Qi600 Single Charger
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Solar Wireless Charger (dual charger)
    - upcoming Nexus 4 Charging Orb

Qi Charger with additional function
    - JBL PowerUp Speaker (speaker with NFC Auto Pairing function)
    - upcoming TDK Wireless Charging Cube (speaker with NFC Auto Pairing function)
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Wireless Charger with Bluetooth speaker
    - Citiwave (Yijieneng) Wireless Charging Table

Other Wireless Charging Standard:
    - Duracell Powermat (and the original Powermat) is using different wireless charging standard and NOT compatible with Qi standard.
    - Palm Touchstone charger also NOT compatible with either Qi or Powermat standard.

Hope it helps...
    just a quick unboxing...

F6YhSMLD

3MhqP7iO

iNuBC9Au

without a case and just a screen protector on the back, the dock has to be "pried" off because it sticks so well. no motion or movement at all. i can lift the phone up, and the dock still sticks. i feel a very small amount of magnetism, but it is held on primarily because of the "gel" like rings. no info on the rate of charge, as my phone was fully charged when i received the orb.
    As someone else has posted already, I also put a touchstone coil in my Galaxy Nexus as well as replacing the iron discs with some tiny rare earth magnets (neodymium) and I too feel compelled to spread the gospel that if you haven't had the privilege of using integrated ( not those adapters) inductive charging then you need to before deciding it's useless. I don't think I could go back to anything without it now. And no, the magnets/coil don't affect the compass/NFC capabilities.

Let me paint this picture for you: alarm goes off in the morning I sleepily reach over and rip my SGN off the rock steady touchstone and quiet that sucker down.. no unplugging a cable and letting it dangle behind the headboard where it'll be a PITA to retrieve later. Without looking I bring the phone reasonably close to the touchstone and the magnets do the rest, lining it up and locking it down. After I'm dressed, once again, just rip it right off the touchstone straight to my pocket and out the door. Get into my car, well what do you know?! I've got a touchstone mounted right next to the radio, just stick it right there, vertical or horizontal, and it's charging, playing music, and can be swiped up in the blink of an eye if I want... again, never thinking twice about plugging/unplugging. This continues at my desk of course. And then again at night where it sits there, almost levitating with the night mode alarm clock.

It's one of those conveniences that once you get used to, the "old" way just seems like a big hassle. The best analogy I can think of is the cars that have the keys that you can leave in your pocket all while locking/ unlocking/ starting/stopping. Once you get used to life where you just grab your grocery bags and go the idea of putting things down so you can fish in your pockets for your keys or hold them in your mouth is just so quaint. That's another thing I just never want to go back to, classic car keys (I'm including remote entry in that category too)
    Well there is a "sorta" video of it on Maxwells site (it isn't really a video video as more a flash movie of it) :-

http://www.maxellair.eu/air-voltage-home/

At the end of the day for me what matters is that it works. Higgsy did a great job of answering any questions I have so I don't need to see a vid. I would ideally love to buy the Google Orb I like the idea of the phone being slanted but that isn't an option. The only option open to me in the UK is the Maxwell Air Voltage so I am going with it now I know it works.

Heres a video, anyways only a quick one - there not much else to see lol. :good: