Overclocking, kernel and governors

Search This thread

chalo99

Oct 5, 2013
Hi, I have some questions with kernels, overclock and governor. I'm using cm10.1 or cm11 or any JB or KitKat and I have some questions:

1- Wich are the best governor for daily use?
2- Wich are the safe levels to overclock the phone?
3- I saw that a lot of people uses OC in Min 122 and Max 806, Is this possible with few risks?
4- Wich are the risks of OC?
5- Should I use a specific kernel? Or the one with the customs ROMs are enough?
5- More questions after I get more information.

Thanks.

PD: I made this thread because the others OC threads are very old, before JB and when ICS was just released I think.

Last edited:

chalo99

Oct 5, 2013
And what are the safest levels? And best governors? Im actually using smartass min 480 max 729

MechanicaIMan

Sep 1, 2011
Overclocking will not "damage your phone for ever." Some of the P500s are stable at higher clock speeds than others, which is typical of mobile CPUs (even the two cores of my Sensation's CPU are stable at different maximum clock speeds). IIRC, my Optimus T was only stable up to 729 MHz. If you try to overclock higher than your phone is capable of, then it will freeze or reboot. There really isn't a "safest" level; any clock speed that your phone is stable at is going to be perfectly safe. Run a stability test or benchmark app from the Play store to check stability. IIRC, another easy way to test stability on the P500 is to open a camera app. The camera tends to crash the phone when the CPU is clocked too high. If you manage to crash the phone by doing any of that, then I recommend dropping down to a lower clock speed. Otherwise, the phone is fine and you can test a higher clock speed. FWIW, I'm pretty sure that most P500s are stable up to 729 MHz, but many of them are not stable higher than that.

I personally like to use Interactive governor. I think I used Interactive with min 480 and max 729 on my Optimus T. Governors Explained

engr_exxi

Nov 5, 2011
Manila
Hi, I have some questions with kernels, overcloak and governor. I'm using cm10.1 or cm11 or any JB or KitKat and I have some questions:

3- I saw that a lot of people uses OC in Min 122 and Max 806, Is this possible with few risks?

Thanks.

PD: I made this thread because the others OC threads are very old, before JB and when ICS was just released I think.

1. I use smartass as governor (well on the jenkins build). It has a balanced battery and performance I think.
2. Regarding safe level, no overclock is safe, unless it is specified that the processor can handle overclocking over a certain period of time. That's why it is designed for a certain clock speed, because at the guaranteed clock speed you can get the most out of your processor without even breaking it.
3. Well overclocking on android depends on the ability of the kernel to handle overclocking situations. Some kernel can handle overclocking very well that the noticable errors are up to a minimum level. While setting the frequency to Min 122 and Max 806, it is not really safe to go to a maximum of 806 Mhz. As specified the maximum (safe) frequency of the processor is 600. so even going for 601 above or to 710 even if other claim that 710 is still a stable frequency will not guarantee that it will we stable at 710. Regarding the risk. overclocking in the first place is risky.
unless yo go y.o.l.o over your hardware.
4. Risks are. 4a. going beyond the maximum temperature your hardware can handle. can lead to fire (yeah it is true).4b. boot failure 4.c crashing of applications. 4.d etc etc.
5. Before, we use to have different kernel developers and different rom developers. as the the passed by and newer devices are being developed, some migrated to newer devices and abandoned the development for our beloved phone. Now I think only 1 developer is still developing (original development not just cuztomizing and stuffs it with design) androidmeda (check "jenkins armv6") and the kernel included in the rom is sufficient enough to handle overclocking (used it and set the freq to 320 - 710 at smartass). I also use sweetnsour's kernel before but i think he too abandoned the development)
5. k

Reactions: chalo99

MechanicaIMan

Sep 1, 2011
2. Regarding safe level, no overclock is safe, unless it is specified that the processor can handle overclocking over a certain period of time. That's why it is designed for a certain clock speed, because at the guaranteed clock speed you can get the most out of your processor without even breaking it.
That isn't true. Processor manufacturing is inexact, so some processors end up with higher clock speed capability than others. As the maker of a device, you have to set the clock speed low enough that ALL of the processors in ALL of the devices function properly. Setting the clock speed conservatively means that most or all of the devices are actually capable of functioning at a higher clock speed, which in most cases -- and certainly in the case of the P500 -- is completely safe. And it is extremely naive of you to believe that every processor or computer you buy is running at the "best and safest" speed as tested by the manufacturer. CPUs are often significantly underclocked simply to allow manufacturers to differentiate pricing. The same thing is done with finished products, including smartphones. For example, my HTC Sensation has a Qualcomm MSM8260 clocked (originally) at 1200 MHz. The HTC Sensation XE has the exact same processor clocked at 1500 MHz.

3. While setting the frequency to Min 122 and Max 806, it is not really safe to go to a maximum of 806 Mhz. As specified the maximum (safe) frequency of the processor is 600. so even going for 601 above or to 710 even if other claim that 710 is still a stable frequency will not guarantee that it will we stable at 710. Regarding the risk. overclocking in the first place is risky.
Again, it is nonsense to say that overclocking this phone "is not really safe." You won't find one example anywhere of a person who has damaged this phone by overclocking it. These things don't get hot enough at any clock speed to damage the hardware.

4. Risks are. 4a. going beyond the maximum temperature your hardware can handle. can lead to fire (yeah it is true).4b. boot failure 4.c crashing of applications. 4.d etc etc.
4.a. Heat is probably the only legitimate concern with overclocking a smartphone, and that's exactly why there is no risk with the P500 -- it doesn't get anywhere near hot enough, at any clock speed, to cause any damage.
4.b. This shouldn't be a problem. If your phone is not setting clock speed on boot, then a crash/reboot will send your phone back to the original clock speed. Even if you make a mistake and change a clock speed that is being set on boot (which I actually did by accident just yesterday), you can boot directly into recovery and restore a backup.
4.c. Who cares? As I said before, if your system is unstable as a result of overclocking, then you should lower the clock speed. That isn't a problem.
4.d. *sigh*

But to each his own. If you don't want to go "yolo" with your antiquated $50 smartphone, then by all means, keep it at 600 MHz. Nevertheless, there is absolutely no way that you would damage it by overclocking, regardless of what you may believe.

Reactions: chalo99

ghostswagking

Mar 10, 2014
Hi, I have some questions with kernels, overclock and governor. I'm using cm10.1 or cm11 or any JB or KitKat and I have some questions:

Thanks.

The phone won't work above 729MHz. And the only risk i can thinknof is depleting battery life faster. :D

zenista

Jun 4, 2013
Milano
Im actually using interactive min 480 max 806.
That permit no lag and normal reactivity.
Obviously there is a battery drain than normal.
I've also use a seeder application.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, its overclocking and not overcloaking.
    Small error, but make changes in the OP
    Hi, I have some questions with kernels, overcloak and governor. I'm using cm10.1 or cm11 or any JB or KitKat and I have some questions:

Thanks.

1. I use smartass as governor (well on the jenkins build). It has a balanced battery and performance I think.
    3. Well overclocking on android depends on the ability of the kernel to handle overclocking situations. Some kernel can handle overclocking very well that the noticable errors are up to a minimum level. While setting the frequency to Min 122 and Max 806, it is not really safe to go to a maximum of 806 Mhz. As specified the maximum (safe) frequency of the processor is 600. so even going for 601 above or to 710 even if other claim that 710 is still a stable frequency will not guarantee that it will we stable at 710. Regarding the risk. overclocking in the first place is risky.
    5. Before, we use to have different kernel developers and different rom developers. as the the passed by and newer devices are being developed, some migrated to newer devices and abandoned the development for our beloved phone. Now I think only 1 developer is still developing (original development not just cuztomizing and stuffs it with design) androidmeda (check "jenkins armv6") and the kernel included in the rom is sufficient enough to handle overclocking (used it and set the freq to 320 - 710 at smartass). I also use sweetnsour's kernel before but i think he too abandoned the development)
    5. k
    That isn't true. Processor manufacturing is inexact, so some processors end up with higher clock speed capability than others. As the maker of a device, you have to set the clock speed low enough that ALL of the processors in ALL of the devices function properly. Setting the clock speed conservatively means that most or all of the devices are actually capable of functioning at a higher clock speed, which in most cases -- and certainly in the case of the P500 -- is completely safe. And it is extremely naive of you to believe that every processor or computer you buy is running at the "best and safest" speed as tested by the manufacturer. CPUs are often significantly underclocked simply to allow manufacturers to differentiate pricing. The same thing is done with finished products, including smartphones. For example, my HTC Sensation has a Qualcomm MSM8260 clocked (originally) at 1200 MHz. The HTC Sensation XE has the exact same processor clocked at 1500 MHz.

3. While setting the frequency to Min 122 and Max 806, it is not really safe to go to a maximum of 806 Mhz. As specified the maximum (safe) frequency of the processor is 600. so even going for 601 above or to 710 even if other claim that 710 is still a stable frequency will not guarantee that it will we stable at 710. Regarding the risk. overclocking in the first place is risky.
    Again, it is nonsense to say that overclocking this phone "is not really safe." You won't find one example anywhere of a person who has damaged this phone by overclocking it. These things don't get hot enough at any clock speed to damage the hardware.

4.a. Heat is probably the only legitimate concern with overclocking a smartphone, and that's exactly why there is no risk with the P500 -- it doesn't get anywhere near hot enough, at any clock speed, to cause any damage.
    4.b. This shouldn't be a problem. If your phone is not setting clock speed on boot, then a crash/reboot will send your phone back to the original clock speed. Even if you make a mistake and change a clock speed that is being set on boot (which I actually did by accident just yesterday), you can boot directly into recovery and restore a backup.
    4.c. Who cares? As I said before, if your system is unstable as a result of overclocking, then you should lower the clock speed. That isn't a problem.
    4.d. *sigh*

But to each his own. If you don't want to go "yolo" with your antiquated $50 smartphone, then by all means, keep it at 600 MHz. Nevertheless, there is absolutely no way that you would damage it by overclocking, regardless of what you may believe.