Avia for Chrome Cast (Need Info)

Search This thread
Feb 2, 2014
Alright so ive been reading on some websites about how to cast sideloaded music to my Chrome Cast and the best answer seemed to be Avia, I dont have a problem paying for it but before I buy It id like to know what some of the details are...

1. Does it upload your music to the cloud and then stream it to the Chrome Cast from there?

2. Will it take up alot of my WiFi data?

3. Is it fast?

4. Does it have good sound quality?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app

indiscriminant

Jul 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Avia works for both music and videos. It basically allows you to cast local media that is stored on your device, and it transmits it directly over your wifi network, not up to the cloud and back down.

I personally don't use it for music but for pictures/videos that I take on my phone, or movies that I have burned copies of. Quality is perfect and matches what I have on my phone.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Alright so ive been reading on some websites about how to cast sideloaded music to my Chrome Cast and the best answer seemed to be Avia, I dont have a problem paying for it but before I buy It id like to know what some of the details are...

1. Does it upload your music to the cloud and then stream it to the Chrome Cast from there?
2. Will it take up alot of my WiFi data?
3. Is it fast?
4. Does it have good sound quality?
  1. No
  2. It'll use as much as the bitrate of the selected file, sending to Chromecast, and Chromecast will need the same bitrate to receive, so unless your casting device is on a wired segment or separate AP, expect to to use 2x the bitrate of the file on your WiFi. See the links in my sig. :)
  3. Not sure what you mean here. If you're wondering about the browsing speed, it maintains a media database so it's pretty quick unless you need to refresh the media database, which can take a while if you have a lot of media. They've been improving that part of the equation.
    Browsing a remote DLNA source depends on the network and the source.
  4. Audio quality is entirely dependent on your source. Avia does not transcode or convert your sources.

Note that RealPlayer Cloud is free and can also cast local nedia. It only requires upload to their cloud if the selected file is not Chromecast-compatible (whereas Avia will tell you that it's not compatible and not do anything with it).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Avia works for both music and videos. It basically allows you to cast local media that is stored on your device, and it transmits it directly over your wifi network, not up to the cloud and back down.

I personally don't use it for music but for pictures/videos that I take on my phone, or movies that I have burned copies of. Quality is perfect and matches what I have on my phone.