[Q] how to identify mobile operating system?

Search This thread

deepak3

Nov 8, 2009
How to identify if the smart phone connected to the PC runs Android. I want to identify this information from an application running in PC (say Windows PC), without enabling USB debugger in mobile.

I tried to figure out using the IMEI number, but could not find.

Is there any API or smarter way available that uniquely identify if the connected device runs Android? Like verifying the folder structures or something? Does the device drivers contain the OS information which I can use? How the PC-Suites like "MOBILedit!" identifies it?

Also, how www[dot]imei[dot]info gives me the operating system of my mobile just by IMEI number?

Looking all these makes me to believe that there is some way for this , please help.

dadangle

How to identify if the smart phone connected to the PC runs Android. I want to identify this information from an application running in PC (say Windows PC), without enabling USB debugger in mobile.

I tried to figure out using the IMEI number, but could not find.

Is there any API or smarter way available that uniquely identify if the connected device runs Android? Like verifying the folder structures or something? Does the device drivers contain the OS information which I can use? How the PC-Suites like "MOBILedit!" identifies it?

Also, how www[dot]imei[dot]info gives me the operating system of my mobile just by IMEI number?

Looking all these makes me to believe that there is some way for this , please help.

Interesting question dude. I'm not sure if this will help but its what I've got. If you use Tor, the free proxy, they give you a way to check your anonymity by going to ip-check.info. and if you do a full test it shows a bunch of unique device id's and stuff for your IP, but it also tells what device, os, build number, and even which browser your using. Now I know this is all over the internet and for a different purpose than what youre looking for but if they can figure out what device I'm using over a browser, I think you can accomplish what you want here. Check it out and maybe it'll inspire some ideas. And keep us posted!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

deepak3

Nov 8, 2009
Interesting question dude. I'm not sure if this will help but its what I've got. If you use Tor, the free proxy, they give you a way to check your anonymity by going to ip-check.info. and if you do a full test it shows a bunch of unique device id's and stuff for your IP, but it also tells what device, os, build number, and even which browser your using. Now I know this is all over the internet and for a different purpose than what youre looking for but if they can figure out what device I'm using over a browser, I think you can accomplish what you want here. Check it out and maybe it'll inspire some ideas. And keep us posted!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Well, when it goes through internet, there is a way. The User-Agent string that is passed during request will have all the info like OS, browser version etc.. I am more looking at the specific scenario of mine.