[HOW TO] Root, Install Busybox and SuperCharge your G9

Search This thread

JediDru

Nov 10, 2010
Chicago
I really screwed up! I've done everything right to a "T" except this apparently. I didn't extract the archos_3.2.79.ext4 on the root. I still have it in a .zip. I wish the directions were clear on that, I'm coming from CWM .zips, and for me it is not at all uncommon.... But here I am after the fact. I keep boot looping and would love an idea on how to get an extracted version on the root of my internal. I'm on step 14 of post 3 f.y.i.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Reloaded stock 4.0.5 and I'm good. Thanks anyways XDA.

Last edited:

uphall

May 1, 2011
Defeated!!

Hi, I am attempting to root my 80 9g 8gb but have had some problems finalising it.

The device is recognised by ADB, the temp root procedure appears to complete properly. Only one niggle, after adb reboot for 1 and 2, windows (7) tries to install MTP drivers but fails. I don't know if this is significant.

Enabling sde seems to complete correctly but when I enter the cmd:
adb shell rm /data/local.prop, it ends in the line :
cannot remove '/data/local.prop': Permission denied.

This seems to be the sticking point.

Regardless, I have tried to finalise the root by copying Árchos_3.2.79.ext4 file to the root of Internal Storage but when I close down and reboot into recovery, there is no option for the developers edition menu.

When I then reboot, the tab starts up normally with no problems.

Any help, in simple terms, would be appreciated.

As an afterthought, how do I correctly close down the cmd window when I'm finished? At the moment I am using task manager to end the process.

Last edited:

Mavamaarten

Mar 4, 2011
As an afterthought, how do I correctly close down the cmd window when I'm finished? At the moment I am using task manager to end the process.

You can just close the window, no need for taskmanager ;D

By the way, does the supercharger work for ICS? I'm running a rooted 4.0.5 rom right now and I was wondering whether it was possible or not...
What does it do anyways?

uphall

May 1, 2011
@ mavmaarten

Thanks for the reply. If I just exit the cmd window, when I ask Windows to eject the tablet, it tells me that it can't eject because it is being used by another program. To get a clean eject, I have to stop the adb.exe process through. Task manager.

uphall

May 1, 2011
Thanks Telyx, I can close the cmd window without any problem. What concerns me is that adb.exe is still running in the background.I don't suppose it will do any harm to just pull the usb, will it?

uphall

May 1, 2011
OK guys, thanks for your input/advice. I have to admit that I was just pulling the usb and it did not seem to have any adverse effect.

Once again, thank you all.

Last edited:

uphall

May 1, 2011
Defeated once again!

Ok I'm back for more advice trying to root my g9 8gb.

Well I get through almost all the tut and boot into the rooted firmware, great. I then switch off normally and the boot back into recovery to uninstall the android kernel. Unfortunately, there is no option to do that available so I am unable to finalise the root process. The only extra option available is to uninstall the dev edition and if I choose that option then, obviously I have no system to boot to.

Can anyone advise me why this should be so? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Telyx

Aug 31, 2009
Garden City, MI
Don't worry about removing the kernel--I don't see that menu choice either. Just continue as if you already did that step and it will work fine.

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
Hi guys, I'm about to start root on my new archos 101 G9, just wondered if there was anyone online that could help me if i get stuck somewhere???

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

If there is, can you send me a PM to let me know your happy to help if i get stuck.
I rooted my motorola xoom a few months back, but have totally forgot the process.
so i'll await a PM off 1 of you lovely guys. :D

uphall

May 1, 2011
Telyx, thanks once again. I did as you suggested ref android kernel and everything seems to be fine.

If anybody, like me, has difficulty with navigating to the different file locations using the adb command line interface, try doing as I did.

Instead of having the files in different locations, extract them from their folders and place them in the 'platform tools' folder. Then open the pt folder, shift> right click on an open space within the folder and select open a cmd window from the menu. All that is needed then is to enter the commands as per the tut and adb has the files to hand for execution.

The files I mean are:

* Files 1 and 2
* Files from the enable sde folder

This worked for me, perhaps it will help someone else who is having difficulty.

Just to reiterate what Telyx has suggested ref 'remove android kernel', if the option is not available then you already have root so ignore that step.

Thanks to all who were involved in getting root and Quinny899 for the tut. Also thank you to those who kept me on the right path.

armini0

Oct 25, 2010
I have a couple of qustions about rooting this device, got enough with CWM etc and flashing stuff on htc hd2 and u8120.

I can get temp root with ease, first question. How long does the temp root stays for? So can I temp root it, reboot etc, and continue the next day with the progress.

After this step you need to enable SDE, this was easy. I got into the recovery menu untill step 13 correctly. But after this the tablet reboots and keeps getting bootlooped. Can't figure out what went wrong here.

With some logic I could luckely go back to the original firmware by downloading it from the archos website (it's an ext4 file). And flashing this through the recovery menu. So now I'm back with a fresh ICS, but I have to redo all steps now.

Ps.
After deleting many files I can't try all these steps again because the step where you gain temp root (step 5 here) the files can't be downloaded again from Filefactory, it's always busy. Can anybody make a mirror for these files? :D

Ps2.
@ the above messages: I figured out the same things, just move the 1 and 2 files to your adb folder, saves me many command lines :)

Last edited:

uphall

May 1, 2011
I had the boot loop issue also.

I discovered that to get into recovery, you have to be very, very quick to release the buttons as soon as the Archos logo appears.

If it starts to boot loop you have been too slow. Hold the power button until the tab switches off and go through the boot to recovery procedure again. Sometimes, it took me a couple of attempts before I got in.

I also had ICS installed and used the ics files from sudru_petru.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
Guys im in the process now of rooting my archos 101 G9, i'm at the beginning and have just downloaded the ADB drivers, and also the android SDK tools, but once i finished downloading the SDK tools, it opened up and gave me the option to install 8 packages and underneath it says delete 1 package...
so what do i do?
do i need to install these 8 packages? i hope so because i clicked it :rolleyes:
and its taking ages to install them.
someone please tell me i've done the right thing?
and also, do i need to delete the 1 package afterwards?

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

where are all you guys when i need you :(

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Guys im in the process now of rooting my archos 101 G9, i'm at the beginning and have just downloaded the ADB drivers, and also the android SDK tools, but once i finished downloading the SDK tools, it opened up and gave me the option to install 8 packages and underneath it says delete 1 package...
so what do i do?
do i need to install these 8 packages? i hope so because i clicked it :rolleyes:
and its taking ages to install them.
someone please tell me i've done the right thing?
and also, do i need to delete the 1 package afterwards?

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

where are all you guys when i need you :(

Just wait, it takes ages

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
after your reply, im assuming i done right in installing them 8 packages?
its just finished installing them, so i can now get on with rooting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Easy Guides for the G9 Tablets

Step 1:
    Gain temp root

Step 2:
    Enable SDE and Permanently root your tablet

Step 3:
    Install Busybox without breaking the preinstalled Archos one or losing root

Step 4:
    SuperCharge it!

Thanks to Paul @ MoDaCo for the temp root
    Thanks to serdu_petru for full root
    Thanks to cajl for adb drivers that I edited for noobs
    Thanks to letama for the original full root stuff
    Thanks to zeppelinrox for v6 supercharger
    Temp Rooting - You must do this first

1. Install the ADB drivers, using my other thread here (WINDOWS ONLY)
    2. Make sure you have the Android SDK installed and have access to adb
    3. Open up a command window (Windows key + R, type cmd and hit enter)
    4. Type, with your tablet plugged in:
    Code:
    adb devices
    Your device should appear. If not, repeat steps 1-4 until it does. You may need to restart your computer
    5. Download Step 1 and Step 2 Note: Don't open these links in a browser, not tapatalk or the xda app
    Download them to your desktop
    6. Go back to your command window and type
    Code:
    cd desktop
    7. Write these commands into it, pressing enter at each new line:
    Code:
    adb push 1 /data/local/
    adb push 2 /data/local/
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/1
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/2
    adb shell /data/local/1
    adb reboot
    adb shell /data/local/2
    adb reboot
    (Note: Device will reboot at both adb reboot commands)
    You are done!
    Note: Device doesn't wake from sleep after this and you can only get root via ADB, by typing adb shell

THANKS TO PAUL FROM MoDaCo for this root
    Enabling SDE & Permanently Rooting Your tablet

1. Make sure you have done the temp root method
    2. Download this zip and extract to your desktop
    3. Open the command window again (if it's a new one, type cd desktop again)
    4. With your device plugged in, type
    Code:
    enable_sde
    and hit enter
    5. Type
    Code:
    adb shell rm /data/local.prop
    and hit enter
    6. Download this file (THANKS surdu_petru!)
    7a. If you downloaded the file to your computer:
    With your tablet plugged into the pc, copy the file to the INTERNAL STORAGE of the drive, NOT IN ANY FOLDERS
    7b. If you downloaded the file to your tablet:
    Open "Files"
    Go to download and copy the file archos_3.2.79.ext4 to the Internal Storage, NOT IN ANY FOLDERS
    8. Download this and this and remember where they are
    9. Turn off the device normally
    10. Hold power + volume down until the archos logo appears and a recovery menu appears
    11. Use Volume Up + Down and power to select Recovery Menu > Developer Edition menu
    12. Use them to select Flash Kernel and initramfs
    13. When a drive appears on your computer, copy the zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz to it. Press power on the device, wait and then press it again
    14. The device will boot the unrooted edition (apps and storage will be unaffected)
    15. Turn off your device again and boot back into recovery
    16. Select Recovery System > Developer Menu > Remove android Kernel
    17. Accept warnings (MEDIA & APPS WILL BE UNAFFECTED)
    18. Reboot. Your device will now boot the rooted edition every time :D
    BIG THANKS TO surdu_petru and letama for the firmware and SDE ;)
    Installing Busybox without breaking your root

You will need:
    Root Explorer (costs, sorry :/):
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer&hl=en
    Terminal Emulator (free :D):
    https://market.android.com/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImphY2twYWwuYW5kcm9pZHRlcm0iXQ..
    Busybox Installer (JRummy)
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jrummy.busybox.installer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5qcnVtbXkuYnVzeWJveC5pbnN0YWxsZXIiXQ..

1. Open Root Explorer and go to /bin
    2. Press the menu button (very top right) and then Multi-Select
    3. Press Select All (bottom left)
    4. Press Move and navigate to /system/xbin
    5. Press mount R/W (top right) and then Press Paste
    6. Open up Terminal Emulator and type the following commands (enter for each new line)
    Code:
    su
    rm -r /bin
    ln -s /system/xbin /bin
    7. Go back to Root Explorer and navigate to /system/bin
    8. Find su and long tap > copy
    9. Navigate to /sdcard and tap paste (This backs up su, just in case)
    10. Open Busybox Installer and make sure it says 1.19.3 and /system/xbin
    11. Hit install
    12. Go back to Terminal Emulator and execute this command:
    Code:
    rm /system/xbin/su
    13. Go back to Root Explorer and navigate to /system/bin
    14. Find su and long press > copy
    15. Navigate to /system/xbin and tap paste
    16. Find su and make sure its permissions are rwsr-sr-x
    17. If they are, you are done!
    If they're not, long press su > permissions and make it look like this:
    Screenshot_2012-01-21-22-25-19.png

Then you are done :D
    SuperCharge your Tablet with v6 SuperCharger!

1. Download Script Manager from the market
    2. Download v6 Supercharger by zeppelinrox here:
    RC5 test 2
    3. Open Script manager and press browse as root
    4. Find your downloaded file in download & tap it
    5. Tap the root icon and then hit run
    6. Follow the instructions until you get to the "Driver's Console"
    7. Type your choice(s)
    I recommend 5 & then 20
    8. Type 30 and hit enter. The device will reboot. It will take longer to boot than usual, as it is building the cache files
    BIG THANKS TO zeppelinrox FOR v6 SUPERCHARGER!