WARNING: Once youre unlocked dont use odin to flash custom ROMs.

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
That's what I figured , I thought I'd ask the dumb question to explicitly clarify it. ;)

Heimdall is great for kernel developers. It allows them to rapidly deploy a kernel to a device as part of the build process. The problem comes when the general populous uses Odin packages all the time. I put this information out for the masses. Until now, Odin was the standard. The standard has changed. This is a notification. If you NEED Odin or heimdall, you'll know it.

Reactions: DAD12345

Vanilla gorilla

Jul 22, 2010
Hey I used the one click exynos exploit to root and then fixed the exploit. I then prepped for the ota by removing root without disabling the exploit. So now I cannot accept the ota (not such a bad thing) but then I wanted to root and unlock my btloader with the casual method. No go. It seems as if the exploit is caising me some issues. So I have read that I may jave to just go back a o stock via odin. I was just wondering if there was a anything else I could do.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

ILMF

Jun 1, 2011
Missouri
In context, imnuts has put out a Recovery flash-able version of CWM. If one tries his CWM but wants to go back to TWRP then currently it seems that one need to ODIN it. To Adam Outler's point it would be safer to have a Recovery flash-able version of TWRP. [?]

get GooManager from the play store. Run it. When it opens, hit your menu soft key and select Run OpenRecoveryScript. It will install the latest TWRP. Worked for me. I am rooted and unlocked. Had to update to the latest TWRP in order to flash Adryn's safe update zip.

unlocked Note2

bulabone

Jan 22, 2010
get GooManager from the play store. Run it. When it opens, hit your menu soft key and select Run OpenRecoveryScript. It will install the latest TWRP. Worked for me. I am rooted and unlocked. Had to update to the latest TWRP in order to flash Adryn's safe update zip.

unlocked Note2

Tried this... says "there are no recoveries found for your device" should we still not flash recoveries with ODIN?

EDIT: i just downloaded the flash-able zip from TWRP's website and flashed the new version in TWRP

Last edited:
Reactions: mrlaigle

italbomber

Jan 6, 2011
New York
Thanks for your hours of work. People WILL screw this up, unfortunately.

Fortunately for me someone local didn't read the thread (didn't know what he was doing either) and used Odin in the improper way and "bricked" his phone. Had the yellow triangle to return to Verizon. I bought it for $300 :) and used Odin to get back to stock then Adams root and unlock method with the help of d.m.x.YouTube video and PROFIT! thanks for all of your hard work. Greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

peaveyone

Aug 16, 2011
Noob Questions

First of all, Thank you...this stuff is awesome.

I used this tool to unlock my phone which also installed a recovery. Is there any way to get into recovery from the phone while it is on? I used to have an option on another phone using CWM that said reboot into recovery. I can turn my phone off then hold down the key sequence and restart it into recovery but was hoping to get there the other way.

Next, everything I read says don't use ODIN after using this tool....being a noob i still have to ask.... the toolkit that was designed for this phone appears to use ODIN for many of its functions. (3.0 found in another thread). Is this toolkit safe to use or is it considered a custom ROM. Again, I apologize if this is a total noob question.

RomsWell

Jul 10, 2011
Venice

I used this tool to unlock my phone which also installed a recovery. Is there any way to get into recovery from the phone while it is on? I used to have an option on another phone using CWM that said reboot into recovery. I can turn my phone off then hold down the key sequence and restart it into recovery but was hoping to get there the other way.

Next, everything I read says don't use ODIN after using this tool....being a noob i still have to ask.... the toolkit that was designed for this phone appears to use ODIN for many of its functions. (3.0 found in another thread). Is this toolkit safe to use or is it considered a custom ROM. Again, I apologize if this is a total noob question.

There are a few apps out there that have extended power options. Rom toolbox off the top of my head. And maybe other called fast reboot or quick reboot maybe

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

tfly212

Dec 1, 2011
New York

You can try QuickBoot from the Play store...it gives you direct access to recovery. Many of the ROMs build this into the power menu (when you hold down the power button you will have extra choices - with Beans you can "restart" and then you have the option to go to recovery. Now that you are unlocked, ODIN should only be used if you ever need to go back to pure stock for a warranty return, service etc.

As for the toolkit, you can use it, but you probably won't need it as most of the functions, or at least the ones you are likely to use as someone new to tinkering with an android phone, can be accessed in recovery. It is not a ROM, but a program you run on your PC to facilitate actions on the phone.

Arrio

Nov 11, 2011
I wish I could've seen this thread earlier...
My recovery broke earlier due to some random mod flashing,
I couldn't boot, nor go into recovery, so I used Odin to flash Stock rom,
but I think I flashed the wrong file, and now my phone can't use internal storage, connect to network at all....

I wish someone can help me out, I have spent 9 hours straight trying to figure this out.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
I wish I could've seen this thread earlier...
My recovery broke earlier due to some random mod flashing,
I couldn't boot, nor go into recovery, so I used Odin to flash Stock rom,
but I think I flashed the wrong file, and now my phone can't use internal storage, connect to network at all....

I wish someone can help me out, I have spent 9 hours straight trying to figure this out.

Have you tried to reflash the correct file what was the file name you used

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Arrio

Nov 11, 2011
Have you tried to reflash the correct file what was the file name you used

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I flashed a custom Rom through Odin (At which didn't work out because the format was different since it is for recovery to flash).
I still have no clue how to fix it...

P2o8wer

Sep 24, 2012
I replaced my note 2 for a replacement and tried to root using the backatcha file. Everything seems to go through except when I clicl continue then a message comes up.
Any idea what this is?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367090685379.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367090685379.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 904

pmsrefugee

Jun 11, 2010
question on odin and twrp

I flashed back to MeanBean 1.11 from MeanBean Ice 1.0 to fix the gps issue but didn't wipe cache first. Now it is bootlooping. Holding down the start, power, and v-down buttons only gets me to odin downloading mode. It no longer goes to twrp. I downloaded the .tar twrp recovery image to flash using odin and placed the file in PDA, but I don't want to press start until I know for sure I won't brick the phone. Is it ok to flash the twrp recovery file to fix twrp so I can restore my nandroid backup from the sd card??? I know better that to try to flash a rom using odin per the op instructions. EDIT #2. READ A BUNCH MORE AND DECIDED TO FLASH TWRP VIA ODIN. PASSED AND WAS ABLE TO BOOT TO TWRP RECOVERY.

I could always return to stock, but the thread says to use the alternate stock image if later than L4 OTA, but it doesn't provide the link that I can see(EDIT. NEVERMIND. I FOUND ON THE PAGE THE LINK TOOK ME TOO). Are they talking about using VRALJB instead of Route 66 stock?

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
I flashed back to MeanBean 1.11 from MeanBean Ice 1.0 to fix the gps issue but didn't wipe cache first. Now it is bootlooping. Holding down the start, power, and v-down buttons only gets me to odin downloading mode. It no longer goes to twrp. I downloaded the .tar twrp recovery image to flash using odin and placed the file in PDA, but I don't want to press start until I know for sure I won't brick the phone. Is it ok to flash the twrp recovery file to fix twrp so I can restore my nandroid backup from the sd card??? I know better that to try to flash a rom using odin per the op instructions. EDIT #2. READ A BUNCH MORE AND DECIDED TO FLASH TWRP VIA ODIN. PASSED AND WAS ABLE TO BOOT TO TWRP RECOVERY.

I could always return to stock, but the thread says to use the alternate stock image if later than L4 OTA, but it doesn't provide the link that I can see(EDIT. NEVERMIND. I FOUND ON THE PAGE THE LINK TOOK ME TOO). Are they talking about using VRALJB instead of Route 66 stock?

Wipe data is all that's needed.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011

Wipe data is all that's needed.

nicholasjrice

Oct 23, 2010
That's CADI, CASUAL Automated Driver Installer by jrloper :)

I get that but it doesn't install anything and loops that over and over until I sit casual down. I got it to work one time but hung up in the process ended up soft bricking my device. Couldn't get Odin to install anything failed every time. Ended up flashing just the pit file and phone booted back up like normal. But I did have root. But I'm back to not being able to run casual successfully to unlock and install recovery. Any ideas? Picture is what my phone is running.
ta7eqete.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dannymac77

Apr 4, 2011
Question!

The title says it all. Nothing good can come of flashing with Odin except returning to stock. Stick with CWM or TWRP flashable zip files. If you disregard this message you will end up with a locked device, or even worse, a hard bricked device. Please use Odin as a factory restore tool only. I'm concerned that after unlock using our methods that people will flash the wrong thing and cause problems in the future.

The unlock method we have provided is not a standard Bootloader Unlock. It is an IROM unlock. This means you can quite literally flash anything to your device without any sort of signature checks. It is important that you stay safe and try to stay away from Odin unless absolutely necessary.

Is there any way to tell if bootloader is currently unlocked?
I had VGN2 unlocked and rooted, ran into a problem, did a Odin factory restore. Attempting VZW OTA to 4.1.2 boot looped my phone (fast recycle on initial Samsung Galaxy Note 2 screen)
Was able to factory restore (kinda) as this time the pure image wouldn't work and like alot of others had to use the I605_VRALJB_Restore.tar.md5.xz

That worked, so I tried to use CASUAL and it failed. failed failed failed on two different PC's I believe. Long story short, right now I've done a factory restore using Root66 because it provides root. I'm afraid to attempt CASUAL as it soft bricked, but I really want to push to at least 4.1.2 and REALLY want a rom with 4.2 or I dunno, I want a 4.2 rom that has all my S-Crud apps so my S-Pen has relevancy. So, just looking for a confirmation that I'm locked, unlocked etc so I know how to proceed.

Thanks

tigersfa8

Dec 2, 2012
Trying to get back to stock using the

Section 1a: How to Root/Unlock Stock 4.1.x Jelly Bean with Odin.

But when I select the correct pit file, and the correct pda file, and press start, nothing happens. It says
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

What am I doing wrong?

boba7523

Jun 14, 2013
I have an AT&T Samsung Note i717 and obtained the unlock code directly from AT&T and have unlocked the device.

Does this apply to me as well?

If I wanted to flash a custom ROM, I basically have 2 choices: CWM or TWRP, correct?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The title says it all. Nothing good can come of flashing with Odin except returning to stock. Stick with CWM or TWRP flashable zip files. If you disregard this message you will end up with a locked device, or even worse, a hard bricked device. Please use Odin as a factory restore tool only. I'm concerned that after unlock using our methods that people will flash the wrong thing and cause problems in the future.

The unlock method we have provided is not a standard Bootloader Unlock. It is an IROM unlock. This means you can quite literally flash anything to your device without any sort of signature checks. It is important that you stay safe and try to stay away from Odin unless absolutely necessary.
    Yup! I can already see the threads starting.... It is good to know that we can still use Odin though cause I was under the impression that Odin was a no-go at this point... So flashing the factory image from imnuts would be the best resort to get back to stock if we needed to return a device?

yes...check my guide out! I have step by step instructions that clearly state what and what not to do!!
    Followed by... "Please use Odin as a factory restore tool only" which made me question the otherwise obvious title. I assumed it was a "roms only" warning, but I preferred to ask and double check.. not find out otherwise the hard way after flashing a new radio.

This is here to warn people about flashing with Odin. After unlock, the bootloader will literally accept anything, even a justin beiber MP3. you could brick easily.
    I don't mean to sound mean but if you really can't figure out how to get to his unlock thread do you really think it's a good idea to be unlocking your bootloader? Maybe you should just stick to a rooted image and read up and learn for awhile before jumping in over your head

To be fair, the distinction between "Android development" and "Original Android development" is new for many of us. I, too, was wondering how to get back to this thread since I tend to browse XDA through bookmarks instead of the site hierarchies. I didn't realize there was an "original Android development" section until after I double checked the name on the thread jumper. It's not that one is technologically illiterate (I got through all this in one fell swoop with no issues and have rooted and unlocked every phone I've owned since the G1), it's just that it's different. Last device I had didn't have a section for original development, so it wasn't immediately obvious to me (though I quickly understood what it was for). so cut him some slack and just kindly point him to the right direction. I know you said you weren't trying to sound mean, but if you really weren't trying to sound mean you could have just helped him out without all of the extra, unnecessary commentary. You know what they say about assumptions, after all.
    Thanks for all the hard work