Samsung Galaxy s3 reading SD Card Problems

Search This thread

nahunta321

Jun 22, 2011
I would like to know can someone help me with SD problems on my samsung galaxy s3 it don't seem like is reading the SD card if someone can help me thank you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

joss.bo

Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I also had some issues with micro SD 32gb. Phone always lost connection with the card. I've bought a new one to figure if it comes from the card or the phone...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
Ok quick question are you rooted? And do you have a custom recovery installed?

Sent from the future via Tapatalk 4

nahunta321

Jun 22, 2011
Yes I am rooted and yes I do have a custom recovery installed.

Hunter01652

Apr 15, 2012
Miami
I would try and see if the SD card can be read by a computer just to make sure its functioning. I heard that S3's could burn out cards sometimes. Its happened twice to me. If he computer doesn't read it, there is a possibility that the card is shot.

nahunta321

Jun 22, 2011
Hey thanks guys thank you guys for all your help I would definitely try that and get back at you guys thanks again.

bobAbooE

Apr 8, 2011
Indiana
I've went through two sd cards since last November, both SanDisk. I would go ahead and call them to get the warranty process started, might be going bad.

754boy

Sep 28, 2008
Shaw, MS
I hate to bump an old topic but I didn't want to make a new thread dealing with the same issue. I bought a new 32gb class10 microsd and my GS3 is really flaky when it comes to reading it. Sometimes it recognizes it but most of the time it doesn't. I know it's not the card because it still works just fine in my laptop and in a crappy android tablet I had lying around. I reformatted it using my computer and using TWRP recovery and it still won't work properly.

mjwford1

Sep 4, 2012
16GB card instead of 32GB

Has anyone seen where using a 16GB card instead of a 32GB card helps? This 32GB Sandisk card I have is brand new and formatted FAT32. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of having an S3 if the external SD doesn't work. I gave my HTC One to my son because I thought it would be cool to have more storage with the S3.

I would try and see if the SD card can be read by a computer just to make sure its functioning. I heard that S3's could burn out cards sometimes. Its happened twice to me. If he computer doesn't read it, there is a possibility that the card is shot.

Jan 31, 2014
I have the same problem. Anyone with a fix? Thanks!

I would also be interested in a fix, not a workaround. I have tried all the "workarounds" and they do not fix this problem. I have tried all manner of microSD cards, including a SAMSUNG branded card. I have tried plugging into the computer and mounting and unmounting USB properly. I have tried the "catch it and manually mount & unmount on the phone and then turn off and back on". None of the microSD cards are the problem, I can see all the data on them in a card reader on my computer.

My WAG at this problem is that it is something inherent to the way this phone acts when plugged into a computer. Something about mounting and unmounting over USB gets it all confused. The problem (I am guessing) might be that this phone is basically set to automount whenever plugged into a USB device. On my HTC, the phone would just charge on USB unless you specifically clicked on a notification, to turn on USB storage mode. The SG3 does not have this feature...you don't get a choice. I see the selection boxes for either MTP or Camera, but you have to choose just one or the other, you cannot just choose nothing. Sometimes I just want to plug the phone into a computer USB just to charge it, but I cannot choose for it not to mount the phone and/or storage, and that means I can't use my phone as a phone because it is in USB mode when it's plugged into the computer. Ugh.

I am a complete n00b at this, but it seems like there are a lot of uber-knowledgeable members here who must understand what's going on with this situation. It just seems to me that there must be some way to sort of "reset" the state of the card slot, to the known state. Because the phone obviously is having trouble figuring that out on its own.

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
I would also be interested in a fix, not a workaround. I have tried all the "workarounds" and they do not fix this problem. I have tried all manner of microSD cards, including a SAMSUNG branded card. I have tried plugging into the computer and mounting and unmounting USB properly. I have tried the "catch it and manually mount & unmount on the phone and then turn off and back on". None of the microSD cards are the problem, I can see all the data on them in a card reader on my computer.

My WAG at this problem is that it is something inherent to the way this phone acts when plugged into a computer. Something about mounting and unmounting over USB gets it all confused. The problem (I am guessing) might be that this phone is basically set to automount whenever plugged into a USB device. On my HTC, the phone would just charge on USB unless you specifically clicked on a notification, to turn on USB storage mode. The SG3 does not have this feature...you don't get a choice. I see the selection boxes for either MTP or Camera, but you have to choose just one or the other, you cannot just choose nothing. Sometimes I just want to plug the phone into a computer USB just to charge it, but I cannot choose for it not to mount the phone and/or storage, and that means I can't use my phone as a phone because it is in USB mode when it's plugged into the computer. Ugh.

I am a complete n00b at this, but it seems like there are a lot of uber-knowledgeable members here who must understand what's going on with this situation. It just seems to me that there must be some way to sort of "reset" the state of the card slot, to the known state. Because the phone obviously is having trouble figuring that out on its own.

Are u running stock? .. Im able to use my fone for calls txt everything actually while its on MTP

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2014
Are u running stock? .. Im able to use my fone for calls txt everything actually while its on MTP

Yep, running stock (4.3 OTA)...just rooted, that's all. My bad, I just realized I *can* use it as a phone when it's on USB...which seems not right, but maybe that's just what I was used to before--unable to use as phone when USB mounted (on my HTC). My family had told me they were getting weird messages when they'd try to call, during times I was on USB, and I assumed it was the USB mount when it was apparently something else.

But, the problem remains, I can't seem to have it NOT mounted as USB when it's plugged into my computer, or other device. And that seems to be what causes the microSD to get all fouled up. This phone is pretty new to me, and I didn't have any problems until I plugged the USB into the computer with a microSD card in it. My step-daughter has another Samsung phone (Exhibit, maybe??) and she says hers does the same thing when she plugs it into a computer.

I have always removed it from the computer properly, whenever there is an option for me to do so. Problem is, it will show up as mounted on the phone and computer (only the phone and not the card, if my phone thinks the card is unmounted), but I don't always get an unmount (or eject) prompt on my computer. And, the phone apparently doesn't have a way to do that manually, either. In those cases, I just turn off the phone before I unplug the USB. I thought that would be the best choice in that scenario...? Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
Yep, running stock (4.3 OTA)...just rooted, that's all. My bad, I just realized I *can* use it as a phone when it's on USB...which seems not right, but maybe that's just what I was used to before--unable to use as phone when USB mounted (on my HTC). My family had told me they were getting weird messages when they'd try to call, during times I was on USB, and I assumed it was the USB mount when it was apparently something else.

But, the problem remains, I can't seem to have it NOT mounted as USB when it's plugged into my computer, or other device. And that seems to be what causes the microSD to get all fouled up. This phone is pretty new to me, and I didn't have any problems until I plugged the USB into the computer with a microSD card in it. My step-daughter has another Samsung phone (Exhibit, maybe??) and she says hers does the same thing when she plugs it into a computer.

I have always removed it from the computer properly, whenever there is an option for me to do so. Problem is, it will show up as mounted on the phone and computer (only the phone and not the card, if my phone thinks the card is unmounted), but I don't always get an unmount (or eject) prompt on my computer. And, the phone apparently doesn't have a way to do that manually, either. In those cases, I just turn off the phone before I unplug the USB. I thought that would be the best choice in that scenario...? Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Ok
For the 2 paragraph
U have ur fone plug but on ur pc ur sdcard is not being read correct?
Try settings/development options /usb debugging (i think its under there i haven't used stock in a while)
If that dont work i suggest putting that card into ur pc to see if it reads it on its own. If ur pc dnt read sdcards or dnt have a adaptor then use a different device
Back up ur file and format it

For paragraph 1
U want ur phone plug into ur pc but Not Mounted.. Ok i dnt have a stock fone to see if theres options but u are rooted so that gives options. U have Superuser correct? .. Now i would do some digging to see if i can help u

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon
I'm on the 4.3 OTA, and have a sandisk 32g class 10 card I picked up at Radio Shack. Never had any issues with the phone accessing it (and it's loaded with 25g of media and data), or with the PC accessing it.

Reactions: procrastistamper
Jan 31, 2014
Ok
For the 2 paragraph
U have ur fone plug but on ur pc ur sdcard is not being read correct?
Try settings/development options /usb debugging (i think its under there i haven't used stock in a while)
If that dont work i suggest putting that card into ur pc to see if it reads it on its own. If ur pc dnt read sdcards or dnt have a adaptor then use a different device
Back up ur file and format it

For paragraph 1
U want ur phone plug into ur pc but Not Mounted.. Ok i dnt have a stock fone to see if theres options but u are rooted so that gives options. U have Superuser correct? .. Now i would do some digging to see if i can help u

Yes, my phone is plugged into pc but sd card not being read (because phone thinks it's unmounted). USB debugging is on. The card keeps unmounting in the phone, but then if I take the card out of the phone and put it back in the phone, and the phone finally reports it mounted--I still cannot see the sd card on computer. (probably because the phone unmounts it again pretty immediately) I get no sd card errors, just the message that it was "unexpectedly removed". If I pull out the sd card and read through a card reader on computer, it reads just fine. I have already tried reformatting, both on the phone, then on the computer, then a full format on the computer (unchecking Quick Format). Nothing has worked permanently. The phone keeps getting its panties in a wad and unmounting the card. Then sometimes, it will randomly mount it again, only to unmount it again later. One hugely weird thing I've noticed, that I am not sure whether it is coincidental or not, but sometimes once it's mounted, and I go to put the back cover on my phone, it gets unmounted while I'm doing that.

And I do have Superuser. I also have Triangle Away (set to auto reset at boot--should I uncheck that??), adbd Insecure (didn't know if I needed it but got it just in case), and Mobile Odin (which I've never used). And TWRP recovery. And by the way, the external sd card disappeared once when I was trying to use it through TWRP recovery. So, should just go back to 100% unrooted 4.3 stock with stock recovery and see if that clears it up? (Thinking that if I still have the problem at that point--then the phone itself is just defective...?)

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

I'm on the 4.3 OTA, and have a sandisk 32g class 10 card I picked up at Radio Shack. Never had any issues with the phone accessing it (and it's loaded with 25g of media and data), or with the PC accessing it.

I've tried several different sizes/classes. What I have in there now is a 32g class 10 Transcend card. I can write to it from the phone and read it on the PC when the phone is mounted, but only if the stupid phone doesn't randomly decide to unmount the card. So, maybe it actually *is* the hardware that's hosed. Are you rooted on 4.3? Just trying to figure out if that makes any difference with the sd card situation.

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
If u took the 4.3ota u shouldn't have twrp custom recovery or non tw rom will brick ur fone. Leave those settings as it

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Check u have Samsung drivers on ur pc. By the looks of it. It will be a hardware issue... One last thing try different sdcard jst cover all the bases

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Or different usb cable or pc as well

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ok put it back to stock and get a replacement.. If u would to call they would jst say factory reset. I got in a argument with Samsung regarding a hardware issue they keep saying software or user issue