[DIY] Built in QI charger - laptop

Search This thread

kali113

Apr 16, 2012
Cluj-Napoca
So I ordered 2 qi chargers without a case from here:
QI wireless charger circuit board

I was always keeping my phone on the palm rest of my laptop so I decided, I might as well add a qi charger to my palm rest so that it charges my phone while I work.

[You might want to have a bulkier laptop to do this.]

This way when I go out some where for several hours, I don't have to take a charger (wireless or wired) with me.

Maybe someone finds this to be usefull. Hell, I did for sure.

You'll need:
-caution and attention
-qi charger circuitboard & coil
-soldering iron & solder
-space in your laptop for the coil under the palm rest, or where you want to put it
-a usb port which you can draw power from
-thicker copper cable for connecting the coil with the circuitboard (if they dont fit beside each other)

So what I did:
- first I desoldered the coil from the CB, and removed the metal plate from under the coil
IMG_20140113_220843.jpg

-then I glued the circuit board on the base of the laptop just over the ram slots with hot glue
IMG_20140113_224608.jpg

- I took apart a USB cable to use the connector, so I can disassembly my laptop even with these wires inside
IMG_20140113_221820.jpg

-I soldered the usb cable's 4 wires onto a usb port to draw power
usb_web__21719_zoom.jpg

-I made the coil's cable longer so I can position it under the palm rest & glued the coil to the base of the palm rest with hot glue
IMG_20140113_224555.jpg

after that put the laptop all back together and test it out ,with caution!!

If everithing is as it is supposed to be you'll have a qi charger palm rest & you can forget about taking a charger with you.

the result:
sp7wvoosj-0X5odB4jsdQcvc9bICOAyuhqGdI_Cspg1X=w1106-h829-no

IMG_20140115_095559.jpg

I6no7ARJLMgA3bJ6LOh_8ul_JLLFxhAqyS2lzAFl5BrI=w1106-h829-no

Last edited:

zolo185

Feb 9, 2013
Miami

I was always keeping my phone on the palm rest of my laptop so I decided, I might as well add a qi charger to my palm rest so that it charges my phone while I work.

This way when I go out some where for several hours, I don't have to take a charger (wireless or wired) with me.

You'll need:
-caution and attention
-soldering iron & solder
-space in your laptop for the coil under the palm rest, or where you want to put it
-thicker copper cable for connecting the coil with the circuitboard (if they dont fit beside each other)

So what I did:
- first I desoldered the coil from the CB, and removed the metal plate from under the coil
IMG_20140113_220843.jpg

-then I glued the circuit board on the base of the laptop just over the ram slots with hot glue
IMG_20140113_224608.jpg

- I took apart a USB cable to use the connector, so I can disassembly my laptop even with these wires inside
IMG_20140113_221820.jpg

usb_web__21719_zoom.jpg

-I made the coil's cable longer so I can position it under the palm rest & glued the coil to the base of the palm rest with hot glue
IMG_20140113_224555.jpg

If everithing is as it is supposed to be you'll have a qi charger palm rest & you can forget about taking a charger with you.

Wow seems pretty intense. Definitely a cool idea. You just gave me an idea to do this with my computer desk.?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bradputt

Jun 16, 2010
I wonder how much current you can draw from the usb port?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

BinkXDA

Mar 1, 2012
Don’t know that I’ll ever leave my phone in that location often—I use my keyboard a lot—but neat idea nonetheless!

Mr. Sprinkles

Nov 5, 2013
Denver
Interesting. FYI the two center pins of the USB port are unused in this case, those are data pins. And you should leave the ferrite plate on the back of the coil when possible (I realize there may not have been enough room in your case). It shields other components from the magnetic field generated by the coil and prevents metal that may be behind the coil from heating up.

Reactions: kali113 and BinkXDA

kali113

Apr 16, 2012
Cluj-Napoca
I wonder how much current you can draw from the usb port?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

If you connect it to a basic usb port, it is just like if you connected the charger using a usb cable, so I dont think it's gonna cause problems, until now, I haven't noticed any. the only drawback is that the charging is slower than on wall charger but that was expected.

kali113

Apr 16, 2012
Cluj-Napoca
Interesting. FYI the two center pins of the USB port are unused in this case, those are data pins. And you should leave the ferrite plate on the back of the coil when possible (I realize there may not have been enough room in your case). It shields other components from the magnetic field generated by the coil and prevents metal that may be behind the coil from heating up.

Hell, I haven't thought about that, maybe I should've left it there, but as you sad it fits better this way. I hope it doesnt cause much trouble. After all this qi charger isn't that powerfull.:silly:

blawford

May 29, 2014
Sorry to bump an old thread but where did you get the cable you have between the PCB and the coil? I am looking to make a DIY car mount.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You'll need:
    -caution and attention
    -soldering iron & solder

So what I did:
    IMG_20140113_220843.jpg

IMG_20140113_224608.jpg

IMG_20140113_221820.jpg

usb_web__21719_zoom.jpg

IMG_20140113_224555.jpg

the result:
    sp7wvoosj-0X5odB4jsdQcvc9bICOAyuhqGdI_Cspg1X=w1106-h829-no

IMG_20140115_095559.jpg

I6no7ARJLMgA3bJ6LOh_8ul_JLLFxhAqyS2lzAFl5BrI=w1106-h829-no
    Wouldn't just be easier to plug in the charger cord in the USB port. Just sayin!!!

I once thought like you friend, but once you go wireless you never go back.
    Its the little things in life that make a difference, lol.

Woah, Nice idea!
    You should get it patented, lol. ;)

Welcome to the Nexus 5 JD!! Glad to see you here man.