[Q] Questions about rooting with Knox (Lots of misinformation out there)

Search This thread

chcguy88

Sep 20, 2008
I own a T-mobile Galaxy S4 that is currently on android 4.3 with the MK2 modem flashed via oden and an MDL bootloader. I am planning to send off my device for warranty repair to Samsung. I know they normally update to the most recent android version etc. (4.4.2).

I have been combing through the threads on here and androidcentral to try to find an answers that is clear but I haven't found it. Essentially I want to know if they return my phone with 4.4.2 (which will be bootloader locked and knox enabled) if I can do the following.

1. Install TWRP or recovery environments. (some threads said you can't and that full root is not achievable to use Titaniumbackup etc.)
2. Downgrade to 4.3 if needed
3. Flash custom roms (eyeing up Insane Kit Kat V8 NB4 )
4. Will I have to use CH-AUTOROOT and with that will I be able to use TWRP
5. If anyone could point me to a thread that instructs on how to root in this scenario - that would be hugely helpful!

I appreciate anyone who can take the time to write back with answers to my questions. :)

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
I own a T-mobile Galaxy S4 that is currently on android 4.3 with the MK2 modem flashed via oden and an MDL bootloader. I am planning to send off my device for warranty repair to Samsung. I know they normally update to the most recent android version etc. (4.4.2).

I have been combing through the threads on here and androidcentral to try to find an answers that is clear but I haven't found it. Essentially I want to know if they return my phone with 4.4.2 (which will be bootloader locked and knox enabled) if I can do the following.

1. Install TWRP or recovery environments. (some threads said you can't and that full root is not achievable to use Titaniumbackup etc.)
2. Downgrade to 4.3 if needed
3. Flash custom roms (eyeing up Insane Kit Kat V8 NB4 )
4. Will I have to use CH-AUTOROOT and with that will I be able to use TWRP
5. If anyone could point me to a thread that instructs on how to root in this scenario - that would be hugely helpful!

I appreciate anyone who can take the time to write back with answers to my questions. :)

Yes.

Sort of. You can't get teh 4.3 bootloader back or use older modems, which means you can't restore to stock 4.2 using Odin. You should be able to flash older custom roms though.

Yes.

Yes.

Search button.

chcguy88

Sep 20, 2008
Yes.

Sort of. You can't get teh 4.3 bootloader back or use older modems, which means you can't restore to stock 4.2 using Odin. You should be able to flash older custom roms though.

Yes.

Yes.

Search button.

As a fellow baltimorean (or as I like to say baltimoron) thanks Skipjacks for the reply! It definitively sets my mind at ease when sending this phone in.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
You don't even need root to flash and use a custom recovery, so that tells you something..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk