Playing with Produtct Policy - My XPS10 just joined AD domain

Search This thread

kitor

Apr 11, 2007
kitor.pl
Inspired by this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1885399&page=22

I wanted to play a bit to join my XPS10 to my home domain. But
Check that the process is working on RT - a provided .NET program obviously would not work, so you should do the same manually
Well... it's for .net 4.0, AFAIR we have only 4.5, yep (?) And I was to lazy to read sourcecode.
So I loaded project into Visual Studio, changed target to 4.5 Any CPU. After that:
1. Took ownership of c:\windows\system32\sppsvc.exe and removed all rights (so noone, even system can execute it)
2. Created a copy of runJailbreak.bat and removed all exit commands in it (as a workaround for closing cmd - that will be needed later)
3. Added in registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
SetupType=1
CmdLine="cmd.exe"
4. Reboot

After reboot I got cmd window on bootscreen background. Somehow, mouse cursor disappeared even with USB mouse.
5. Started jailbreak by running modified .bat
6. Started attached ProductPolicyEditor, enabled WorkstationService-DomainJoinEnabled policy, wrote changes to registry
7. Closed PPE, cmd, system self restarted in normal mode
8. Connected to domain as usual.

Proof - screenshots attached

After this RT went to not activated state. But when already connected to domain, I reverted changes I done (changed policy to 0, restored sppsvc rights), activated it again - everything works, computer is still in domain, only change is that in system properties I can only leave it, not change to another one.
This method may be used to exploit more hidden RT features.

Attachments

• ProductPolicyEditor.zip
    12.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 585
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Reactions: jordanmills

syn3h

Inspired by this post:

Well... it's for .net 4.0, AFAIR we have only 4.5, yep (?) And I was to lazy to read sourcecode.
So I loaded project into Visual Studio, changed target to 4.5 Any CPU. After that:
1. Took ownership of c:\windows\system32\sppsvc.exe and removed all rights (so noone, even system can execute it)
2. Created a copy of runJailbreak.bat and removed all exit commands in it (as a workaround for closing cmd - that will be needed later)
3. Added in registry:
SetupType=1
CmdLine="cmd.exe"
4. Reboot

After reboot I got cmd window on bootscreen background. Somehow, mouse cursor disappeared even with USB mouse.
6. Started attached ProductPolicyEditor, enabled WorkstationService-DomainJoinEnabled policy, wrote changes to registry

After this RT went to not activated state. But when already connected to domain, I reverted changes I done (changed policy to 0, restored sppsvc rights), activated it again - everything works, computer is still in domain, only change is that in system properties I can only leave it, not change to another one.

Confirmed working on Surface RT :good:

Myriachan

Feb 11, 2013
I wonder whether this technique could also be used to allow incoming Remote Desktop sessions in Windows RT...

Melissa

mbjun

Feb 10, 2006
You can also get "full BitLocker" from "limited Device Encryption" by changing:

SecureStartupFeature-Enabled-Premium
from 0 to 1

Then you can for example add USB-startup-key to encrypted OS volume by:

manage-bde -protector -add C: -StartupKey

...after changing back to "non-Premium" created start-up key protector will stay (survive),
so instead of nonsence TPM (which unlocks drive everytime unless you rip storage outside TPM chip), you can have fully encrypted and protected tablet.

BTW: @Myriachan: On jailbroken RT, how to get rid of inability to auto-start programs, when OS starts?
Can be system service made, which will only launch EXEs (in TXT list, minimised, maximised, normal) or is there other solution (TaskScheduler method doesn't work in W81RT)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Inspired by this post:

Check that the process is working on RT - a provided .NET program obviously would not work, so you should do the same manually
    3. Added in registry:
    SetupType=1
    CmdLine="cmd.exe"
    4. Reboot