[REF] [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Official Google OTA update URLs -- Latest: JWR66Y / 4.3

Search This thread

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
[REF] [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Official Google OTA update URLs -- Latest: JWR66Y / 4.3

Edit: As of 02 Apr 2012, this thread is applicable to both maguro (GSM/HSPA) and toro (Verizon CDMA/LTE) devices. Although I've also provided links for toroplus (Sprint CDMA/LTE) devices, I have not verified any of the flashing instructions for that device.

Ok, this post is a compilation of all the OTA update URLs that I have seen. (I'll add any other ones posted in this thread to the first post.) Latest are highlighted in green (JB) or red (ICS).

These are incremental updates, not full ROMs. They are EXACTLY the same files that get pushed to your device after you accept the OTA notification that you receive. The difference is, in 99% of the cases, they will be available here before you will get it pushed to your device.

In order for these updates to install, you need at least one of the following: an unlocked bootloader OR a custom recovery OR root.

For the n00bs, please read the entire second post before attempting to update.

The links below are the original update URLs. That said, in case some of them have been pulled and the link is not working, oldblue910 has provided a mirror on his site: Random Phantasmagoria for the yakju/takju/mysid/mysidspr updates.

HOW TO HELP OTHERS
If you have received the OTA update notification, help everyone else out by posting the link. Here is how to do it.*

Or you can trying looking in the log files in /cache to see if you can see a file name ending in .zip.

Here is the list:

(For an explanation of the build codes, see here.)

takju

yakju

mysid <== for toro (Verizon) devices only

mysidspr <== for toroplus (Sprint) devices only

yakjuux

yakjuxw

yakjusc

yakjuzs

yakjudv

yakjukr

yakjujp

yakjuvs
yakjuxe

mictacea <== for toro (Verizon) devices only

Last edited:

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
How to flash

Since there are people who are asking how to flash these, I've written a few step-by-steps on how to flash. (These are not full ROMs - they are OTA updates for specific builds, and will NOT wipe your data. Flashable in recovery. Not un-doable without wiping data.) Again, these are stock updates -- you need a stock ROM to flash these: it cannot be deodexed, it cannot have stock apps missing, it cannot have a modified build.prop file due to some app writing to it, etc. (although root is fine) Edit: as of JWR66N, if you have used Chainfire's SuperSU to root, you must unroot first before trying to update. If you've replaced stock files with custom ones, either replace the stock ones, or go into the update zip file, and remove the assert for the file (although I don't recommend the later, as the update may not patch your custom file properly). If you are missing stock yakju or mysid files, download the factory images from here, extract the system.img from within, convert it to an .ext4.img by using this and then (for Windows users) use this to mount the .ext4.img and extract the file. These files may work in non-yakju builds as well. [/COLOR]

Notes:
1) Methods 2 & 3 assume that you have the correct drivers installed on your computer and your computer recognizes your device.
2) Method 3b assumes that you have busybox already installed on your device.
3) I have not tried method 3a, but it should work (it certainly won't mess anything up).
4) Method 3 can also be done with a terminal emulator on your device instead of using ADB.
5) For those of you that don't know, every OTA update places two files on your system (that are not there on a non-update stock ROM) that re-flash the stock recovery on EVERY boot. The two files are /system/recovery-from-boot.p and /system/etc/install-recovery.sh. You need to make sure that these files are either deleted or renamed, or else CWM will disappear when you reboot. These files serve no purpose other than re-flashing the stock recovery on every boot. So, if you've recently gotten an OTA and applied it, your CWM is gone... Use something like Root Explorer, delete them, and re-flash your CWM recovery.
6) As with all stock updates from Google, these updates will change the permissions on the su binary so, in effect, you will lose root (for those who have it). Install supercurio's OTA Rootkeeper BEFORE you do all this, or, for those with an unlocked bootloader or CWM installed, just re-flash Chainfire's SuperSU zip file found here in CWM, or manually change the permission via ADB (mount the system and chmod 4755 /system/bin/su) while booted in CWM.
7) For those that have flashed a different radio from what was supplied in the Google stock images, you either have to flash back the original radio before the update, or remove the assert and the patch/flash lines from the updater-script file in the update zip and remove the radio image or patch (if there is one). The later should only be done by advanced users who understand what I just said.
8) CDMA/LTE users: I have made note of the differences for any of the methods.
9) Non-yakju builds are updated MUCH later (i.e., weeks to months) than yakju, so if you are running a non-yakju build and are expecting an update shortly after the yakju build gets updated, you will be very disappointed.
10) For those methods below that require CWM (including Method 1), do NOT use a CWM 5-series touch version - use the one in the link provided (or use CWM 6.x or TWRP 2.2.x).

Method 1 - CWM 5.5.0.2 or 5.5.0.4 (i.e., NON-touch) recovery installed
EDIT: For those flashing a Jelly Bean update, in order to retain your CWM recovery, use the "revised" Method 1 here by Revoked instead of using the Method 1 below. (The method 1 below will work just fine for JB -- but you will need to re-flash CWM, and rename /system/etc/install-recovery.sh once you are booted.)

1) Download the correct update for your build on to your computer;
2) Open the archive and delete the recovery folder; EDIT: Do NOT do this step if it you are using any Jelly Bean update, i.e., JRN84D or newer.
3) Copy the file to /sdcard on your device;
4) Reboot into CWM;
5) Select "install zip from sdcard";
6) Select "choose zip from sdcard";
7) Select the update the you just copied to your device;
8) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 2 - Stock recovery installed, Unlocked bootloader
1) Download the correct update for your build on to your computer;
2) Copy the file to /sdcard on your device;
3) Download CWM from here and place it on your computer in the same directory as your fastboot binary. For CDMA/LTE devices, use this version;
4) Rename the CWM image to cwm.img
5) Reboot into fastboot mode;
6) Open a command prompt in the same directory;
7) Type fastboot devices to make sure your device is recognized;
8) Type fastboot boot cwm.img
9) Select "install zip from sdcard";
10) Select "choose zip from sdcard";
11) Select the update the you just copied to your device;
12) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 3a - Stock recovery installed, Locked bootloader, with root; -- No longer works if you are updating from JRN84D or newer.
1) Download the correct update for your build and place it in /sdcard;
2) Open a command prompt in the same directory as your ADB binary;
3) Type adb devices to make sure that your device is recognized;
4) Type adb shell
5) Type su
6) Type cat /sdcard/name-of-zip-here.zip > /cache/name-of-zip-here.zip
7) Type exit
8) Type exit
9) Reboot into recovery;
10) Briefly hold the power button and then quickly press volume up;
11) Select apply update or whatever the menu item is (I don't have a stock recovery installed, but it should be easy to identify);
12) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 3b - Stock recovery installed, Locked bootloader, with root (use this method only if you have to -- use 3a or 3c first);
1) Download the correct update for your build and place it in /sdcard;
2) Download CWM from here (CDMA/LTE devices, use this version) and place it in /sdcard;
3) Rename the CWM image to cwm.img;
4) Open a command prompt in the same directory as your ADB binary;
5) Type adb devices to make sure that your device is recognized;
6) Type adb shell
8) Type su
9) Type dd if=/data/media/cwm.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/recovery
10) Type exit
11) Type exit
12) Reboot into recovery;
13) Select "install zip from sdcard";
14) Select "choose zip from sdcard";
15) Select the update the you just copied to your device;
16) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 3c - Stock recovery installed, Locked bootloader, with root;
1) Install ROM Manager from the market;
2) Flash CWM using ROM Manager;
3) Reboot into CWM;
4) Select "install zip from sdcard";
5) Select "choose zip from sdcard";
6) Select the update the you just copied to your device;
7) Wait until it completes. Reboot. Done.

Method 4a - Stock recovery installed, Locked bootloader, no root;
On JRN84D and newer ONLY: walkamake has confirmed that you can apply updates with a locked bootloader, no root and no custom recovery. (See his post here.) This is due to a new, updated stock recovery in JRN84D and newer builds.

1) Reboot your device into the stock recovery (i.e., the screen with the Android on its back with the "!";
2) Access the stock recovery menu by pressing power and volume up;
3) Select "Apply update from ADB";
4) Download the correct update for your build and place it in the same directory as your ADB binary;
5) Open a command prompt in the same directory as your ADB binary;
6) Type adb devices to make sure that your device is recognized;
7) Type adb sideload name-of-file.zip
8) Reboot. Done.

Method 4b - Stock recovery installed, Locked bootloader, no root;
On JRN84D and newer ONLY: kupuguy has confirmed that you can apply updates with a locked bootloader, no root, no custom recovery and no ADB, assuming you have an OTG cable. (See his post here.) This is due to a new, updated stock recovery in JRN84D and newer builds.

1) Reboot your device into the stock recovery (i.e., the screen with the Android on its back with the "!");
2) Access the stock recovery menu by pressing power and volume up;
3) Copy the update onto the root folder of a USB stick.
4) Connect the USB stick to the phone using a USB OTG cable
5) Select "Apply update from USB"
6) Reboot. Done.

On builds older than JRN84D: You need to either: 1) root or 2) unlock your bootloader or 3) wait until you get the update pushed to you OTA.

Follow the steps here to root without unlocking your bootloader. Then you can follow method 3a or 3c above.

Method 5 -- unlocked bootloader required
We've recently uncovered that, if the factory images are available, an easy way to update is to flash all the images EXCEPT the userdata image. All of your data will still be intact, including all installed apps and settings, and everything in /sdcard. Essentially, it is identical to upgrading via an OTA update. Follow the instructions here.

Last edited:

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
FAQs

I'm temporarily placing THE Frequently Asked Question here:

Question: I got the update OTA update notification, I accepted it and it started to install. But then it stopped, and all I see is the android laying on its back with the red triangle and exclamation point. Whaz wit dat???

Answer:

1) First of all, this thread is not about having the OTA install automatically when you receive it. It is about manually applying it from one of the files posted in this thread. (In order for the update to install automatically OTA, you need to have the stock recovery installed. Not CWM. Not the stock recovery from any build -- the stock recovery from the ROM you are currently running.)

2) The android laying on its back with the red triangle and exclamation point IS NOT AN ERROR. It is the main screen of the stock recovery. (If you want to see the menu, when you are on that screen press power and volume up.)

3) If you are not stock, don't bother asking why the update didn't install. I think I've covered that enough. You need the stock kernel (boot image), the stock radio and ALL the stock system files (yes, all the ringtones, all the wallpapers, etc., ALL THE FILES) UNMODIFIED, otherwise the update will not work. (Having extra files will not make a difference, like having root files).

4) If you have installed busybox in /system/bin, then it over wrote some stock files. This has been covered in this thread. Read and fix it.

5) If you want to use a CWM touch-based recovery instead of a non-touch recovery, then don't bother asking any questions as to why the update won't install. I will not provide support any longer for those using touch recoveries. All non-touch CWM (5.5 and newer) recoveries, and all TWRP (2.2.x and newer) recoveries should work fine.

6) If you've flashed your device to stock using a toolkit, flash it using a manual method (like this one or one of the many others). I will not provide support if you have used a toolkit -- ask in the toolkit thread. :)

Last edited:

tigajr

Dec 28, 2011
Hi efrant,
Thank you for the info. Let me ask you: can we say, if all three urls are from google.com, that yakjuux and yakju come directly from Google?

Thank you in advance.

Obs. English is not my native language.

Reactions: catfish

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hi efrant,
Thank you for the info. Let me ask you: can we say, if all three urls are from google.com, that yakjuux and yakju come directly from Google?

Thank you in advance.

Obs. English is not my native language.
OTA updates for all builds are pushed from Google's servers. Period. Having said that, the non-yakju builds will likely need to get reviewed by Samsung before they are pushed, which will cause a bit of a delay.

Reactions: tigajr

tonarm

Jun 22, 2009
How to install? Recovery mode only shows an Android with open stomach and a red exclamation mark. Do I need further software?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

system6

Nov 25, 2007
Wichita, KS
Alright, given that I haven't seen this anywhere, I figured I'd start a thread to compile a list of all the OTA update URLs.

I'll start off with the ones that I have, and I'll add any other ones posted in this thread to the first post.

yakju
yakju ICK53F from ITL41F: http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-yakju-ICL53F-from-ITL41F.1955a56d.zip

Do we need all of these? Are these incremental updates or mirrors? Is this the most recent one if so? Finally, just flash as "update.zip" correct? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
So how would I install this on my phone?
Updated the first post.

How to install? Recovery mode only shows an Android with open stomach and a red exclamation mark. Do I need further software?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
Updated the first post.

Do we need all of these? Are these incremental updates or mirrors? Is this the most recent one if so? Finally, just flash as "update.zip" correct? Thanks in advance.
These are incremental updates. You need to chose the correct one for your build. For example, if you are on yakju ITL41D, then you would need to apply both yakju ITL41F from ITL41D and yakju ICL53F from ITL41F if you want to go to ICL53F.

NextNexus

Jan 19, 2007
So just to confirm, you need to be rooted in order for any of these methods to work, right?

FormelLMS

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2009
hey, I've got a Nexus with ITL41F.
So I've downloaded the correct file, deleted the recovery folder in the zip file and put it onto the phone.
Now I've booted it to cwm and want to install the zip.

But I become the android with the red exclamation mark. It doesn't update.

Do you know, why?

efrant

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
hey, I've got a Nexus with ITL41F.
So I've downloaded the correct file, deleted the recovery folder in the zip file and put it onto the phone.
Now I've booted it to cwm and want to install the zip.

But I become the android with the red exclamation mark. It doesn't update.

Do you know, why?

Are you sure you have CWM installed?

FormelLMS

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2009
Hm, still the same. Very strange.
Have you updated your phone with this files?

Top Liked Posts