Downgrade from 4.4.2 back to 4.3!!

Search This thread

temporarium

Hi, I got courage because of your post and decided to try it. I hated the new multi-window side-swipe drawer and immersive mode, some apps not accessing sd card, etc, etc. So, with bated breath I reverted to 4.3 JB on my Singapore edition of the P605 and Voila! all my frustrations sovled. I odined the stock ROM, and Towelrooted my device and loaded SuperSu from the play store. I love my tablet again. Thanks so much.:D
Are you able to use multi-window in 4.3?

timstlast

Apr 6, 2015
Are you able to use multi-window in 4.3?

Yes. That is one of the main reasons I went back. The side-swipe from the right on KK for multi-window screws around with apps that have scrollbars. JB has just a little dimple on the left. It can also be de-activated by long holding the back key, if you wish and it can be placed vertically anywhere you wish. Pita immersive mode is also gone. Immersive mode hides the top status bar, which some apps rely on. Restricted access to the sd card is also gone. (even with kk sd card fixer, some apps like ezpdf, still cannot save to the external sd card on kk). Since reverting absolutely everything works perfectly as before.

In my humble opinion, the Note 10.1 2014 was designed to run on JB, not KK. As with most devices, upgrading to newer ROM that the phone was not designed for messes around with features and creates bugs.

Reactions: temporarium

ckelly33

Dec 25, 2008
MartinTN
Hi, I got courage because of your post and decided to try it. I hated the new multi-window side-swipe drawer and immersive mode, some apps not accessing sd card, etc, etc. So, with bated breath I reverted to 4.3 JB on my Singapore edition of the P605 and Voila! all my frustrations sovled. I odined the stock ROM, and Towelrooted my device and loaded SuperSu from the play store. I love my tablet again. Thanks so much.:D

Just got a Note 10.1 p605 (Verizon, USA). Where do I find the 4.3 software I need and what steps do I do to get this done. Do I use Odin to install 4.3? Sorry. Been out of the root game for a while. Thanks

timstlast

Apr 6, 2015
Do you find that some things don't work quite as well as under KK? I'm referring to all the S-stuff...

All the S Stuff seems, for me at least, to work just as well. If someone knows different, feel free to correct me.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Just got a Note 10.1 p605 (Verizon, USA). Where do I find the 4.3 software I need and what steps do I do to get this done. Do I use Odin to install 4.3? Sorry. Been out of the root game for a while. Thanks

For the firmware: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
I used Odin.
After reboot, I installed Towelroot: https://towelroot.com/ and launched it.
I then installed SuperSu from the play store and launched it and let it do it's thing.
Finally, and this is totally optional, I installed Nova Launcher so My Magazine doesn't pop up when pressing home button. ( I couldn't find a way to disable My Magazine completely so I use Nova Launcher, It also has quite a few other nice features)

As I said earlier: I love my Tablet again. Everything seems for me to be so much more intuitive and operational.

Reactions: ckelly33

ckelly33

Dec 25, 2008
MartinTN
All the S Stuff seems, for me at least, to work just as well. If someone knows different, feel free to correct me.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

For the firmware: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
I used Odin.
After reboot, I installed Towelroot: https://towelroot.com/ and launched it.
I then installed SuperSu from the play store and launched it and let it do it's thing.
Finally, and this is totally optional, I installed Nova Launcher so My Magazine doesn't pop up when pressing home button. ( I couldn't find a way to disable My Magazine completely so I use Nova Launcher, It also has quite a few other nice features)

As I said earlier: I love my Tablet again. Everything seems for me to be so much more intuitive and operational.

I got it rooted, thanks. As far as My Magazine and a ton of other stuff, I use Titanium and freeze all the stuff I don't use. Now....any suggestions on a solid ROM?

Reactions: timstlast

timstlast

Apr 6, 2015
I got it rooted, thanks. As far as My Magazine and a ton of other stuff, I use Titanium and freeze all the stuff I don't use. Now....any suggestions on a solid ROM?

Thanks for the suggestion for Titanium. As for the ROM, I have yet to find a custom ROM for 4.3 that I like. I just use the stock from sammobile.

s2mishappy

Sep 17, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion for Titanium. As for the ROM, I have yet to find a custom ROM for 4.3 that I like. I just use the stock from sammobile.

any solution for this problem?<ID:0/009> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> P601XXUAMJ5_P601OLBAMJ1_P601XXUAMIA_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/009> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/009> sboot.bin
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> FAIL!
<ID:0/009>
<ID:0/009> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

and the Odin Mode says:

"SW REV. CHECK FAIL. DEVICE: 3, BINARY: 1"

pinktheater

I'm trying to save a friend's phone who lost the IMEI. I'm having the same exact problem as the guy above. Any ideas? I can't flash an older version than 4.4.2.

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

and the Odin Mode says:

"SW REV. INVALID MAGIC STRING

franzli

Mar 15, 2010
Don't see why it wouldn't be. I'm running on CM13, but had to briefly go back to stock 4.4.2 to get back to the old bootloader (apparently the Lollipop one may be responsible for problems with the SPen in cyanogenmod, will see if it actually made a difference). I didn't actually set up the stock KitKat system, but it did boot normally and had the normal propmpt for setting up the system at the beginning.

furboom1240

Dec 19, 2013
Erie Canal Zone
Does anyone know whether firmware 5.1.1 is downgradeable to 4.4.2 or 4.3?

Thanks

Samsung has bundled new SE Android features and may include a form of boot signing that may make rollbacks impossible.

But if you want to genuinely roll back you might be able to conjure up a solution with Odin 3.07. There might even be a possibility with Kies, if you have a back up that is on 4.3.

Nandroid is your best friend.

Reactions: shayind4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good News Folks!!!
    I just downgraded my SM-P605 from NEE 4.4.2 back to NEE MJ9 4.3!! Knox not trigerred.

Step to downgrade from 4.4.2 back to 4.3:

1. Reboot to Download Mode (Power+Vol. Down) then Vol. Up to continue
    2. Run Odin from PC (I used 3.09)
    3. Uncheck Auto Reboot box
    4. Check AP box, then find your NEE 4.3 MJ9 .tar firmware
    5. Press Start

It takes about 2-3 minuttes until showing All threads completed.(succeed 1/failed 0) in the message box.

6. Turn off your note by holding down power button for few seconds
    7. Press Vol. Up + Power button to boot into recovery
    8. Wipe cache
    9. Wipe user data
    10. Reboot system

No SW rev failed during downgrade and Knox remains 0x0

Don't forget to hit Thanks button..
    I love it. Begging for thanks without telling what you did.
    Normally and afaik you cant downgrade to an earlier android iteration. It is not possible. You can only jump to fws with the same bootloader. Not every fw get a new bootloader. Maybe with the ota of nee fw wasnt flashed the bootloader correctly. I think when you flash the same fw with Odin, you cant downgrade anymore.

I tried 2 times(down, up, down then up again) with Odin, confirmed working.

KNOX trips when a non-KNOX or non-official bootloader is installed. 4.3 on the N10.1-14 had a KNOX enabled bootloader so downgrading from 4.4 wouldn't be an issue; at least for KNOX. People in other forums that moved to 4.3 from earlier s/w with non-KNOX enabled bootloaders are the ones who were freaking out because once KNOX is on a device you can't go back.
    The “KNOX Warranty Void” bit (or simply KNOX bit) is used to detect if a non-KNOX kernel has been loaded on the device. It is a one-time programmable bit in e-fuse, which can only be turned from “0” to “1” (i.e. burned). If a non-KNOX boot loader or kernel has been put on the device, KNOX can no longer guarantee the security of the KNOX container. As a result, this KNOX bit will be burned to “1”, indicating that this device can no longer use the KNOX container service.​
    https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog...ox-enabled-devices-and-knox-warranty-void-bit
    Well, I had do install 4.3 firmware back cos there's no 4.4 firmware to flash trough Odin yet as I messed my tab trying to get s pen work after rooting. Now I'll just upgrade back to 4.4 and wait for root that doesn't break s pen.
    If you want full sd card write function that the dips at Google killed. That alone is reason enough. I see no speed or battery improvement with Kitkat, so 4.3 is the way to go, IF you want card write function for 3rd party apps.