[APP] QuickSwitch (App Switcher) - ALT-TAB behaviour

Search This thread

Stratrix

Nov 20, 2006
Seattle
android.alexleekt.com
What is QuickSwitch?

It's an app I developed to mimic ALT-TAB behaviour.
More info at http://bit.ly/quickswitch
market_1.png.scaled500.png

Story:

I am a proud Desire Z owner and have to say the Vision is amazing with its keyboard. One thing I still hate about day to day tasks is switching between Google Talk and MSN apps. I hate reaching up to the notification bar from the keyboard.

So I wrote an app to solve this problem. I call it QuickSwitch.

By taking advantage of the quick keys on the keyboard, I wrote an app that basically launches other apps. It's configurable which apps you want favourit-ed and how many running apps to show. I also made it mimic alt-tab function by pressing Quick key 1 and comma. This would switch back and forth between apps very quickly.

Quick Tutorial

Download:
chart

Donate
If you like QuickSwitch, You can send me a donation to my Paypal http://bit.ly/quickswitch-donate-paypal or through the Android Market and search for "QuickSwitch (Donate Only)". The donate version does not add any functionality.

Questions / Comments
If you want to provide any comments and/or feedback, please post in this thread. New feature requests can be submitted at http://bit.ly/quickswitch-request.

If you could, please add comments and ratings on Market as it can encourage me to develop better stuff!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: bongd

Lennyuk

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2010
Suffolk, England
nice idea, but if your just using it to switch between gtalk and msn why don't you just install ebuddy and run both together? :D

roadrunnerx7

Aug 8, 2009
i like the ability to make the quick keys function like alt and tab. im downloading it right now, will come back with comments

edit:

i think i misunderstood, can this make the quick keys function as alt or shift? i hate the placement of they keys and i hate the quick keys theyre pointless, i like better the keyboard layout on the merge
is there anyway to assign the quick keys the alt or tab function?

aside from that though, its pretty cool app and its fast too. good job

Last edited:

roadrunnerx7

Aug 8, 2009
no i meant more like a keyboard remapping. i want the two center quick keys to act as either alt or shift

Stratrix

Nov 20, 2006
Seattle
android.alexleekt.com
No it dosnt, but you can remap the keyboard and make the smily face a quick key maybe.
I installed your app on my G2, absolutely love it, i would have paid for it, thats how good.

Thanks! If you could add a rating / comment in the market, that would be appreciated. :)

How can I make it better? I am adding icon overlays to indicate which ones are Favourites and which ones are Running. Next, I'm thinking about long press running icons to add them as Favourites.

ImSoHungry

Mar 30, 2010
New York
Thanks! If you could add a rating / comment in the market, that would be appreciated. :)

How can I make it better? I am adding icon overlays to indicate which ones are Favourites and which ones are Running. Next, I'm thinking about long press running icons to add them as Favourites.

Done. A well earned 5 *'s
As for making it better, I honestly think it is one of those rare gems that comes out the box 100%, its perfect for what it is used for. I like the clean look it has so I would have to see what overlay you use to judge if it will be good. Long pressing an app to add does sound good however.

You get these kind of apps once in a blue and what ends up happening is the dev always thinks that he/she has to improve it and just adds up making it bloated. I like it as is. Here's a great piece of advice; make a version with what you plan to add and put it up as a donate version, feel out the market, then just tidy the code up for this one and sit on it. You do great work.

Stratrix

Nov 20, 2006
Seattle
android.alexleekt.com
This is pro. Fantastic app.

How about one quick key for favorites, another for running...thoughts?

Thanks for your feedback. Your suggestion is a good one. I can certainly split it up into two apps.

I am also thinking about how this can be used for devices with no keyboard. Maybe splitting the screen into two halfs - left selects from favourites and right selects from running. Hmm...

Smokuevo

Apr 26, 2008
Schaumburg
I love your app. Idk if it goes into two rows when u got a lot of shortcuts set but would be nice. Thank you for this wonderful app!

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Stratrix

Nov 20, 2006
Seattle
android.alexleekt.com
Feature Requests and Donation Links

<shameless plug>
I've added links to a quick start youtube video, feature request form and donate options on the original post.
</shamless plug>

Thank you all for the supportive comments!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is QuickSwitch?

It's an app I developed to mimic ALT-TAB behaviour.
    More info at http://bit.ly/quickswitch
    market_1.png.scaled500.png

Story:

I am a proud Desire Z owner and have to say the Vision is amazing with its keyboard. One thing I still hate about day to day tasks is switching between Google Talk and MSN apps. I hate reaching up to the notification bar from the keyboard.

So I wrote an app to solve this problem. I call it QuickSwitch.

By taking advantage of the quick keys on the keyboard, I wrote an app that basically launches other apps. It's configurable which apps you want favourit-ed and how many running apps to show. I also made it mimic alt-tab function by pressing Quick key 1 and comma. This would switch back and forth between apps very quickly.

Quick Tutorial

Download:
    chart

Donate
    If you like QuickSwitch, You can send me a donation to my Paypal http://bit.ly/quickswitch-donate-paypal or through the Android Market and search for "QuickSwitch (Donate Only)". The donate version does not add any functionality.

Questions / Comments
    If you want to provide any comments and/or feedback, please post in this thread. New feature requests can be submitted at http://bit.ly/quickswitch-request.

If you could, please add comments and ratings on Market as it can encourage me to develop better stuff!

Thanks!