[KERNEL] Basic with a Twist SGS4G KJ6 1.1.3

Search This thread

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
For it to keep this way, I'm willing to give the wood a massage...
Voodoo Sound is working incredibly good.

mike-y

Feb 7, 2008
Los Angeles
going to try this out today. One thing to consider, Bryan/FB's latest kernel has BLN, so there is that option for people that want it. If you get your kernel stable and efficient, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

htaak

Aug 2, 2011
Ore Chasm - Pandora
Google Pixel 6
Ok....just hit 24 hours with 41% Batt left...moderate use, wifi on. Big improvement over recent kernels, more in line with the life I was getting off the first icbinb and GB leaks....I'm not currently undervolting either. Voodoo sound is working like a charm, and 0 reboots since flashing. I personally use NoLED over BLN. Thanks for this.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA

sunsurfer42

Jan 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
Anton, thank you so much for this. I just can't believe that this is your first kernel. The performance and stability of this kernel is amazing. Two days in and no reboots and very low battery drain. Fantastic!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

vwgtiturbo1

Oct 5, 2011
+ Whatever the count is for BNL!!!
thanks for this great kernel!!

GFX.myst.

Jul 19, 2011
will be testing this out for you. currently charging phone so will report back with any findings. oh and for the bln, i can live without it. ;)

sent from within the beast

Juls317

Feb 2, 2011
Indy
I'm curious as well. I wanna know why multiple devs couldn't get the kernel to work right and this one is rocking on your first try. ROCKING. My phone has never worked this well.

That's because it bryans kernel with some stuff added... Its an old version of it

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
I'm glad that it semeengly working good. Didn't have problems with it myself so far. I was out of town the whole weekend, just came back. I probably will not have time to do anything with it (like adding BLN or posting the code) until Wednesday. I'll share it, just need to find time.

This kernel works as expected because it's almost stock Samsung with just few enabled modules and few mods for speed, like some tracing disabled, and some optimization changed. I suggested few months ago when the whole mess with reboots showed up going back to 0.0.2d and starting again from there, but nobody listened. Recently the Bryan's branch seemed to hit the dead end with attempts to fix these reboots, so I decided to do a stable build myself.
The Voodoo Sound mod is not difficult too, I actually posted the links what to look for in the other thread.

Last edited:

farwek

Apr 23, 2011
Houston, TX
Awesome kernel... ran it for 15 hours with wifi on all day and it was still at 46%... no reboots either. Thank you very much.

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
FB, maybe the team acid logo could have caused the reboots.. ;)

Entering the 3rd day with 2 devices. Not a single issue encountered. I'm adding it to my ROM if you don't mind. Credit inside.

Last edited:

iHelper

Jan 3, 2011
Awesome! No problems so far and I love it! And I don't know what you did, but my phone signal increased drastically! I actually have 4G now in a lot more places! Thanks! And I also want BLN as well! lol

Last edited:

ipaq_101

Sep 19, 2011
Southern California
So far so good, day two, crazy battery life and temple run runs much better on this kernel than any other one of have used. Now if it only had bln it would be 11/10! Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Basic with a Twist SGS4G KJ6 Kernel

BML, don't flash if you have partitions converted to MTD.

Use at your own risk, I take no responsibility for anything that may happen to your phone because of this kernel.

This kernel is for those who don't want to be on the very cutting edge (CM7) but rather want stability without sacrificing too many recent features. It is based mostly on Bryan's 0.0.2d commit that supposedly never had problems with silent reboots. I made some changes to the config to bring it even more to the standard Samsung VibrantPlus in terms of hardware settings, but at the same time to optimize it for speed. I will add only tried and true features to this kernel, the ones that other kernel developers have used successfully.

Special thanks to bhundven (Bryan), FBis251, TeamAcid.

Features
    • initramfs from TeamAcid, including CWM5, SuperSU, forced ext4, etc.
    • Usual CIFS, TUN. I didn't include FUSE, if anybody needs it let me know.
    • BLN. Use BLN Control app from market to activate.
    • Voodoo Sound so paid app is not needed. Voodoo Sound app from market is required. Once installed, enable Smart Amplifier, it's the best thing you can do to improve music listening experience with our phone.
    • jhash3 for faster hash calculations. Used widely across the kernel, especially in networking.
    • OC/UV support with extended frequency table. Added 600Mhz, 900Mhz, 1.1Ghz, 1.2 Ghz, 1.3 Ghz, 1.4 Ghz. Use SetCPU or Xan's Voltage Control to enable and control frequency and voltages. Tegrak can be used only with no-OC/UV version.
    • ondemandX and smartassV2 governors. One of these should probably be preferred over stock ondemand. Change with SetCPU or similar.
    • TinyRCU. More lightweight version, it fits better our single CPU system.
    • Swap support, although I don't recommend using it.
    • SIO and BFQ I/O schedulers in addition to noop, deadline, and cfq that we already have.

Install
    Flash with CWM or SGS Kernel Flasher. ODIN version is available only for OC/UV kernel.

Download
    CWM:
    v1.1.3
    v1.1.3 (no OC/UV)
    v1.1.2
    v1.1.2 (no OC/UV)
    ODIN:
    v1.1.3
    v1.1.2

Notes
    * OC/UV version is very conservatively undervolted to -25mV. The preset voltages are still higher than on regular I9000, which has the same CPU. I'm running additional -50mV (total -75mV) for all frequencies without issues, but you may have them, every CPU is different!
    * It is recommended to create a CWM recovery file before modifying voltages. This option is available in both SetCPU and VoltageControl.
    * OC-ing to 1.4 Ghz is not recommended, especially for extended periods of time.
    * Voodoo ext4 conversion, or "lagfix", is enabled and forced by default. There is not way and no need to go back to RFS.

Source
    www.github.com/AntonX

Changelog

CWM 5.0.2.8 (blue) in initramfs
    Disabled a little more of Samsung debugging

Minor changes to initramfs voodoo extension scripts
    More neutral boot logo

Initramfs script will not force su update
    Couple of small changes

1.1rc2
    Few small changes

1.1rc1
    Added BFQ and SIO I/O schedulers
    Switched to TinyRCU
    Added Swap support
    Small change to Vibetonz

1.0b5
    Some changes to OC/UV
    Better BLN fix
    Increased write timeout for bad SDHC cards
    Added ondemandX and smartassV2 governors
    Renamed the title, it's becoming less and less Basic...

1.0b4
    Added native OC/UV support

1.0b3
    Minor BLN changes
    Replaced jhash.h with jhash3 code
    Updated initramfs with SuperSU 0.88

1.0b2
    Added BLN, first attempt

1.0b1
    Original release
    what are the best setting to get the most battery life??

Turn it off.
    I've decided to keep BLN. I looked at the code, didn't find anything that could cause troubles if BLN if not used. Found the issue with "I2C write error", there were attempted writes to unpowered controller, so I fixed it. Removed some unnecessary debug tracings too.

Updated jhash to faster jhash3, there can be slight performance boost for data, but probably not easily noticeable.

Updated initramfs to latest SuperSU. Couldn't figure out how to easily update busybox to 1.20 (it needs to have bunch of links created), any help?

OP updated to 1.0b3.

Will try to post code on github today.

EDIT: Added source code link to OP. Unfortunately because I used a little unorthodox method of getting the old Bryan's commit, I cannot easily and safely attach my modified code to it anymore. So the kernel code it posted as a new repo. If somebody needs to know exactly what's changed, let me know and I'll point to correct files. I was able to fork from the initramfs repo though, there were not too many of my changes.
    Updated OP to version 1.1 rc1 with few more featured for completeness.

Added two I/O schedulers, SIO and BFQ. You don't have to use them, especially if you don't exactly know what they are.

Added native swap support (somebody asked), but I don't recommend ever using it. They system will become too unresponsive with it. Native swap doesn't go well with Android memory management, it doesn't work well with slow flash drives, plus you trash your SD card a lot sooner.

Switched config to smaller faster TinyRCU, seems to be a logical change for one CPU systems.

Things that didn't make to the kernel:
    Tiny Preempt RCU - it will not make the phone any faster, and it seems that some kernel devs have problems with it.
    zRam (compcache) - I actually added it, it kind of worked, but was sometimes crashing the phone during initialization. It's probably not a good thing to have on our phone anyway. So I took it away.

Unless somebody comes with an idea what else to add to the kernel, I'm going to freeze the changes, wait few days for bug reports, and name it a release.
    Updated OP to 1.1.0. Didn't see anything wrong with it over last few days, so let's call it a stable release and go from here.

Small change to VoodooSound to remove ADC oversampling when doing VOIP and recognition. Probably really unnecessary, just a little paranoia.

Looked at Vibetonz again, but didn't find anything wrong. Looks like MIUI knows about it, tries to use it, but does it incorrectly.

Removed forced superuser update.

If you used a OC/UV version prior to a test release that introduced extra frequencies (600, 900, 1100), review and update your voltage table!