ROOT BOUNTY FOR SGH-527 with 4.4.2 KitKat Update

Search This thread

kmt5150

Oct 3, 2013
Houston, Texas
Greetings, fellow Mega-Maniacs!

I am currently working with dev Geohot to get us root access for the SGH-I527 with Baseband Version I527UCUBNE7. All known root methods have been tested and proven to not work with this version of android with this baseband, due to the extremely locked down nature of Samsung Knox on this device.

I, personally, have been throwing every exploit I can think of at this device, to no avail. As of the time and date of this post, we have a donor ready to help the cause (Special thanks to caguas56). That is why I'm proposing a bounty on root access for this phone (SGH-I527 AT&T US version only, although there is a high possibility that it'll work on the Sprint,T-Mo and VZW variant).

The first developer who can successfully get ROOT on KitKat with baseband I527UCUBNE7 and demonstrate this with a successful public test will be awarded the bounty. The bounty will be split equally between devs and donors willing to team up.

I'm in for $10 at the moment, and I'll piss away more if needed down the line.

Who else is in? LETS GET THIS DONE, PEEPS!

Please, only posts regarding root access on this thread. For firmware rollbacks to 4.2.2, see azpatterson3's thread located HERE

Last edited:

Teyshablue

Sep 3, 2010
CowTown!
www.soundclick.com
Greetings, fellow Mega-Maniacs!

I am currently working with dev Geohot to get us root access for the SGH-I527 with Baseband Version I527UCUBNE7. All known root methods have been tested and proven to not work with this version of android with this baseband, due to the extremely locked down nature of Samsung Knox on this device.

I, personally, have been throwing every exploit I can think of at this device, to no avail. As of the time and date of this post, we have a donor ready to help the cause (Special thanks to caguas56). That is why I'm proposing a bounty on root access for this phone (SGH-I527 AT&T US version only, although there is a high possibility that it'll work on the Sprint,T-Mo and VZW variant).

The first developer who can successfully get ROOT on KitKat with baseband I527UCUBNE7 and demonstrate this with a successful public test will be awarded the bounty. The bounty will be split equally between devs and donors willing to team up.

I'm in for $10 at the moment, and I'll piss away more if needed down the line.

Who else is in? LETS GET THIS DONE, PEEPS!

Please, only posts regarding root access on this thread. For firmware rollbacks to 4.2.2, see azpatterson3's thread located HERE

In for at least $20.

Reactions: kq6jo

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
I know you stated you had tried it all but I have a couple questions for you.

#1. Are you able to odin and access the latest PhilZ Recovery on your Mega? I ask because I read other sections like the Note 2's, etc on AT&T and they are able to flash recovery fine and boot into recovery fine.

#2. If you have tried this method, did you try and flash the latest SuperSU v2.00 from Chainfire through PhilZ?

================

Below is a method I suggested to some in my OTA Update thread to NE4 ( KitKat ) for Rooting all my Galaxy phones on KitKat listed and not one has failed to gain root or to disable KNOX. Note this method will trip KNOX and void your warranty. Try this at your own risk....

================

1.Flash the latest Philz recovery ( Galaxy Mega (meliusltexx) ) .

1a) Be sure when flashing a custom recovery not to allow the device to reboot into the OS right after and instead go straight to the recovery first.

( Uncheck reboot device in Odin or if you forgot to uncheck the box after a successful flash of the Custom Recovery in Odin, quickly hold down vol+, Menu & Power Button or last resort pull the battery before it has time to reboot into the OS {again this is after the phone reboots from flashing the custom recovery and passes}).

The security will over write the custom recovery with the stock recovery and you will have to flash Philz or if available TWRP again. First boot into custom recovery will make it stick on after.

2. Once flashed and booted into recovery, you'll be on the main screen.

( Optional but recommended )
2a) At this point, and it is just a suggestion to you all, make a complete backup of the phone as it sits unmodded. I couldn't really tell you how many times I have read/seen of people post that they forgot to back up their phones after they had attempted to do something to their phones and had caused them to have problems..... well many would be surprised how often this happens and I have been guilty of it due to just being impatient. This way you will have a starting point fresh, stock and even unrooted to go back to. After your done proceed to step #3.

3. Tick on Philz settings.

4. Tick on Re-root System (Super SU).

5. You will then see the log scroll at the bottom and tell you to reboot and install SuperSU through the Playstore.

6. Reboot Device and once you have booted up, install SuperSU via Playstore or if you have the APK on hand, install it.

7. Once installed it will ask you that it needs to update binaries, do so. It will also detect KNOX and ask to attempt
to disable it, go ahead and it will attempt to do so. ( I have yet for it to say unsuccessful )

8. Enjoy being rooted afterwards.

=======================================

If after step #6 it fails to update binaries or for some chance the SuperSU APK failed to install properly or failed to provide Root Access, below is a link for the newer SuperSU v2.00 that is flashable in your Custom Recovery. Flash it by rebooting back into Recovery and flashing the ZIP file that's downloadable from the middle of the main page in the link below. Once flashed continue on from step #6 above.

Thank you @Chainfire
SuperSU v2.00 <------- click here

Last edited:

Grarak

Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2012
Vienna

#1. Are you able to odin and access the latest PhilZ Recovery on your Mega? I ask because I read other sections like the Note 2's, etc on AT&T and they are able to flash recovery fine and boot into recovery fine.

#2. If you have tried this method, did you try and flash the latest SuperSU v2.00 from Chainfire through PhilZ?

================

Below is a method I suggested to some in my OTA Update thread to NE4 ( KitKat ) for Rooting all my Galaxy phones on KitKat listed and not one has failed to gain root or to disable KNOX. Note this method will trip KNOX and void your warranty. Try this at your own risk....

================

1a) Be sure when flashing a custom recovery not to allow the device to reboot into the OS right after and instead go straight to the recovery first.

( Uncheck reboot device in Odin or if you forgot to uncheck the box after a successful flash of the Custom Recovery in Odin, quickly hold down vol+, Menu & Power Button or last resort pull the battery before it has time to reboot into the OS {again this is after the phone reboots from flashing the custom recovery and passes}).

The security will over write the custom recovery with the stock recovery and you will have to flash Philz or if available TWRP again. First boot into custom recovery will make it stick on after.

2a) At this point, and it is just a suggestion to you all, make a complete backup of the phone as it sits unmodded. I couldn't really tell you how many times I have read/seen of people post that they forgot to back up their phones after they had attempted to do something to their phones and had caused them to have problems..... well many would be surprised how often this happens and I have been guilty of it due to just being impatient. This way you will have a starting point fresh, stock and even unrooted to go back to. After your done proceed to step #3.

5. You will then see the log scroll at the bottom and tell you to reboot and install SuperSU through the Playstore.

6. Reboot Device and once you have booted up, install SuperSU via Playstore or if you have the APK on hand, install it.

7. Once installed it will ask you that it needs to update binaries, do so. It will also detect KNOX and ask to attempt
to disable it, go ahead and it will attempt to do so. ( I have yet for it to say unsuccessful )

If after step #6 it fails to update binaries or for some chance the SuperSU APK failed to install properly or failed to provide Root Access, below is a link for the newer SuperSU v2.00 that is flashable in your Custom Recovery. Flash it by rebooting back into Recovery and flashing the ZIP file that's downloadable from the middle of the main page in the link below. Once flashed continue on from step #6 above.

Thank you @Chainfire

Bootloader is locked
So no recovery flashing

Sent from my GT-I9205 using XDA Free mobile app

DarkAngel

Aug 1, 2006
Arizona
Bootloader is locked
So no recovery flashing

Sent from my GT-I9205 using XDA Free mobile app

Well technically all bootloaders are locked (except for the few that aren't) but I take it AT&T is wanting/trying to join the band wagon with Verizon and locking the bootloaders indefinitely by encrypting them on all the devices they can now.

Sorry then, my method will not work straight forward. Good luck. :good:

kmt5150

Oct 3, 2013
Houston, Texas

================

================

Thank you @Chainfire

Believe me, we have tried it all. I have tried a process similar to this and when the phone got done with all the flashing and went to boot up, I got a prompt that said 'We have detected software not approved for use by AT&T. Please take your phone to an AT&T store for assistance.' It also says Secure Check Failed: Kernel. I had to send my phone to sammy to get it fixed since I tripped a few flags. Should be back by Friday the 10th.

Last edited:

kmt5150

Oct 3, 2013
Houston, Texas
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2722073

I don't know much about this but my S4 active also has a locked bootloader, and I was able to achieve root on 4.4.2 using the above method. Thought it might be possible to adapt to your cause.

Tried and my device still won't act right, can only get into download mode. recovery is gone and when i attempt to power on, I get a msg about Secure fail: Kernel and then a yellow triangle with a ! says 'System software not authorized by AT&T has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nesrest AT&T store for help."

UPDATE: A buddy of mine has a JTAG service and I'm going to send it to him for repair. UGH! I'm selling this sonofabitch. I should NOT have to go thru this much bull**** just do modify something I paid 500 bucks for without a contract.

Last edited:

BarakOsama

Feb 7, 2013
Ceylon
Tried and my device still won't act right, can only get into download mode. recovery is gone and when i attempt to power on, I get a msg about Secure fail: Kernel and then a yellow triangle with a ! says 'System software not authorized by AT&T has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nesrest AT&T store for help."

UPDATE: A buddy of mine has a JTAG service and I'm going to send it to him for repair. UGH! I'm selling this sonofabitch. I should NOT have to go thru this much bull**** just do modify something I paid 500 bucks for without a contract.

Have you tried towel root ;)

http://towelroot.com/

kmt5150

Oct 3, 2013
Houston, Texas
Alright.

To summarize for people who haven't paid attention. Phone was bricked in a last ditch effort to flash back to 4.3 because the 4.4 update made my phone run like s#it. I also have an S4 Active and the service sucks harder than it already did. The 4.4 update makes the S4 drop out constantly and the battery life blows. Samsung told me to run kies in download mode to get it back to 4.3 I did and BOOM, now phone is fu©k!ng bricked and they won't fix it, claiming it's 'rooted' because the kernel says it's version 3 when it's supposed to be at 4 for kitkat. Fu©k!ng duh, you jerks made me flash it back. I am personally never buying another samsung product again because their customer service was horsesh!t. I happen to have a sammy tv, blu ray, home theater and 2 of their former 'top end' phones, but now I'm ditching them. They can lick my scrotum for all I care anymore.

end rant, back to music.

Reactions: captemo

MeatHammer311

Jul 9, 2014
Dover
SCH-R960

I have the US Cellular Galaxy Mega SCH-R960 also updated to 4.4.2 out of the box. I am in for some bucks if you can apply this to my version also the baseband number is R960TYUBNF1, I will send you whatever info you need from the phone. Lets get this done! Thank you!

MeatHammer311

Jul 9, 2014
Dover
No root.

I do not have root so I can not do those things. If there is a way without root please point me in that direction. Thanks

blakkoppz

Jul 7, 2014
sure you can

use heimdall

and can anyone send me the boot.img now?
I don't even think you guys want root if you're not even trying to help
tell me how to get it any you will have it 1 before 5pm today est.

also here is the pit file you asked for. I used it to unbvrick my phone a few times with odin.
ita for the at&t version

Attachments

• Samsung_I527_PIT.rar
    1.4 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Reactions: azpatterson3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What we do know is that a guy on eBay has the root solution and claims its a "trade secret" so either he found a way to downgrade kernal to MK2 successfully and root and upgrade back to NE7 or he found a root exploit that works on 4.4.2 I527, I can confirm that a Metro dealer in my area sent him a I527 and he sent back a few days later and it was imei repaired, rooted and fully working.

There IS A SOLUTION, we just need to keep trying new things, that "bounty" that people suggested is nothing more than a fairy tale, devs know when the solution comes out, noone is going to pay they are just going to leech and about 10% will stick to their donations, so they are now holding solutions for themselves and using it in key areas like IMEI repair and making money. Just look at S-OFF for HTC one M8 sunshine is charging $25 per device and they deserve too, they have mouths to feed as they put more hours into development than we ever would.

I know most of you root and install roms for the fun of it or to enjoy a better optimized phone but I do this for IMEI repair purposes, for monetary reasons, doesn't mean we can't be on the same page and work together, I don't have any I527's in store atm but when I get another one in I will be trying new things to get it going.

The reason I looked this thread up because I am familiar with downgrading kernals for I537 S4 active and the new I337 N1I 4.4.2 update so I figured, "Hey you can probably do that with the I527 kernal!" and IMEI_bandit had the exact same thought as me, ty for your contribution regardless if you didn't test (which should of been noted, but nonetheless you got us the files, ty) but it seems theres more to it, I have gathered files you guys have submitted on this thread relating to the Boot.tar, Boot.zip and I527 pit file and will look more into this with the help of other devs on GSM forum and here, ty
    Working Root for 4.4.2 I527

I've been messing around hoping to find something. Finally, the new version of KingRoot worked. I just got it finished earlier, it's doing great. It disabled knox, didn't trip the counter. I did that later with a twrp backup I tried to make. But, root is there nonetheless, nothing lost. I do have screenshots, I can't do outside links, but I'll try to add them.
    Straight up.

For all those who are wondering:

As of 12/3/2014, there is still NO ROOT FOR BASEBANDS I527UCUBNE7 and I527UCUBNJ1. As such, keep the following in mind:

1. ANYONE purporting to have a method which you can 'download and install' is full of **** and should not be trusted.
    2. ANYONE (unverified) trying to sell you same said file or different 'rooting solution' is also full of ****.
    3. UNLESS IT'S VETTED ON THIS THREAD, DON'T ****ING TRUST IT!
    XDA is a community, take your strong arm crap somewhere else, mods need to prune this thread of your solicitations. If you can't provide actual proof then you are just another scammer.
    Yeah I'm done. Grabbing a Nexus 6 when released. And lesson learned....never ever ever buying a device from AT&T ever again. Their draconian methods of keeping people from enjoying the devices they own is my final straw.