[Q] Is dual-booting possible on the Note 2 - N7100?

Search This thread

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I was going to try and port the dual boot feature from the s3 siyah kernel with the help of Gokhan Moral, i have got a stock N2 kernel ready to compile ect, but i cant find any compiler that works on the note 2 kernel, i can only find one for the s2 (my current phone).
I found a guide on setting up a universal kernel compiling environment, but the is so many things to install, it is taking me ages to set up :p

Corey

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

pransh

May 12, 2011
Mumbai
I was going to try and port the dual boot feature from the s3 siyah kernel with the help of Gokhan Moral, i have got a stock N2 kernel ready to compile ect, but i cant find any compiler that works on the note 2 kernel, i can only find one for the s2 (my current phone).
I found a guide on setting up a universal kernel compiling environment, but the is so many things to install, it is taking me ages to set up :p

Corey

:good:

kalgan

Feb 9, 2010
Kecskemét
+1

would be nice, shouldn't have to bother with cwm backups every time when trying new build from CM10 :)

Last edited:

ezland

Oct 12, 2009

Corey

can't wait :good:

Reactions: brrrlag

brrrlag

Nov 20, 2012
Can we get a nice clear post in from a dev about a) whether or it's a definite possiblity we can get the GN2 dualbooting? and b) what needs doing? (Many thanks to fishingfon for what we have so far). The thought of flipping from PA over to a TW rom for Spen functionality on the fly is awesome:D
Its also my understanding that the spen stuff is an issue because of the source availability? up samsungs basically.....:p

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Can we get a nice clear post in from a dev about a) whether or it's a definite possiblity we can get the GN2 dualbooting? and b) what needs doing? (Many thanks to fishingfon for what we have so far). The thought of flipping from PA over to a TW rom for Spen functionality on the fly is awesome:D
Its also my understanding that the spen stuff is an issue because of the source availability? up samsungs basically.....:p

Hi,
I talked with Gokhan Moral (he is a elite recognised dev) about the possibility of getting dual boot on the note 2.
And he said that as the hardware is very simple to the s3, it shouldn't be too hard to get the dual boot from his siyar kernel working on the note 2.
And seeing that dual boot is available on the s3 and note 1, it is almost definitely possible to get it working on the note 2 :)

If anyone knows of a compiler that works with the note 2 kernel, i would be very grateful if they could share it.

Cheers
Corey

Edit:
It's my understanding, that you can get everything you need to make the kernel, from the source code that samsung has provided, and by extracting some things like the initramfs from the ZImage. So you should still get full spen functionality, although I may be wrong :p

Corey

Last edited:

kalgan

Feb 9, 2010
Kecskemét
I think we need a kernel dev instead of whining , the sad thing i don't know any :(

kalgan

Last edited:

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
If someone could help me find out two things, I wouldn then be able to start trying to compile the dual boot kernel I am trying to make.
I have googled lots ect and asked on xda, but no one seems to know.

If someone could help try and find out:
Firstly, what The N7100 partition layout is,

And secondly, if someone could find out how to then edit the Ramfs from a different device with the new partition layout from the note 2.

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Prankey

Jun 24, 2008
infcloud.in
I wish Dual boot and Voodoo sound gets ported to Note2 ASAP. I seems to have posted elsewhere but I did discuss the possibilities with Gokhanmoral and he may be willing to help us in the port as he personally do not wish to develop a kernel for a device he do not own.

Siyah's port of Voodoo sound is already available for us through the latest RedPill and Perseus kernels, however dual boot option is yet to be ported. I wish to contribute towards the development if I could help in anyway.

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I wish Dual boot and Voodoo sound gets ported to Note2 ASAP. I seems to have posted elsewhere but I did discuss the possibilities with Gokhanmoral and he may be willing to help us in the port as he personally do not wish to develop a kernel for a device he do not own.

Siyah's port of Voodoo sound is already available for us through the latest RedPill and Perseus kernels, however dual boot option is yet to be ported. I wish to contribute towards the development if I could help in anyway.

Hi,
I am already in the process of porting the dual boot.
I have changed the partition layout in the ramfs, and I am at the moment just going thru all the files double checking I didn't miss anything..

If the dual boot does work when I have finished (fingers crossed lol) then I could really use someone who knows how to add cm sources to the kernel, so that dual boot is possible with cm and stock roms (I an not a C programmer, i am normaly only a c# and java, so i am not to sure how to do that :p ) .

I have also been in contact with Gokhanmoral, and he's been giving me lots of help with what to do ect.

Cheers
Corey

Reactions: N4KA and bliblabl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    I have Ubuntu dual booted on my nexus 7 tablet, and that's even too small to use it on, you can't hit any buttons correctly or anything, when the Ubuntu touch is out for n2 it should be great tho :)

I finished compiling the dual boot kernel for n2,
    First ROM boots fine, with no bugs or anything, but the second ROM doesn't boot, and it freezes at the choose ROM screen on boot when I try and select it.

I really need someone with a rooted s3 to do some things for me, but I can't seem to find anyone :p

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

If I helped you, please hit Thanks..

Corey

Hi,
    I have Ubuntu dual booted on my nexus 7 tablet, and that's even too small to use it on, you can't hit any buttons correctly or anything, when the Ubuntu touch is out for n2 it should be great tho :)

I finished compiling the dual boot kernel for n2,
    First ROM boots fine, with no bugs or anything, but the second ROM doesn't boot, and it freezes at the choose ROM screen on boot when I try and select it.

I really need someone with a rooted s3 to do some things for me, but I can't seem to find anyone :p

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

I have a rooted SIII that I am running Siyah Dualboot Kernel on and I would be willing to assist you if I can. Im not the most technical guy in the world but if you explain what you need done then I should be able to help you. Feel free to PM me if ya want or we can continue the dialogue here in the thread if you wish...
    Anyone has some news about this i would really like it :) 1 for priv 1 for work xD

Hi fishingfon, any good news about booting the 2nd rom on GN2 ? ;)

Hi,
    I am still getting the problem of the second rom freezing.

I have found a few things i need to change in the code, and will try and do that soon. And see if it works then :p

I have been very busy studying for a microsoft exam the last couple of weeks, and getting ready to move back to england next month, so i havent been able to do much of the kernel.

I will try and get some done next week.

Question: what's the advantage of having dual boot? Or, to be more precise, why would I use two ROMs?

You say "Why" I say "Why not?" :p
    It means u can have two roms installed, and you don't have to keep restoring cwm backups to change ROMs.
    So I could have omega and stock installed at the sane time (or eventually cm and stock :p)

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

Hi,
    I am already in the process of porting the dual boot.
    I have changed the partition layout in the ramfs, and I am at the moment just going thru all the files double checking I didn't miss anything..

If the dual boot does work when I have finished (fingers crossed lol) then I could really use someone who knows how to add cm sources to the kernel, so that dual boot is possible with cm and stock roms (I an not a C programmer, i am normaly only a c# and java, so i am not to sure how to do that :p ) .

I have also been in contact with Gokhanmoral, and he's been giving me lots of help with what to do ect.

Cheers
    Corey