Home Wifi Issue

Search This thread

fury683

Dec 20, 2010
MSP
I have noticed lately that my Moto X will sometimes not connect to my home WiFi. At all. Until I reboot the phone. Toggling WiFi on and off, and forgetting the network do nothing. Other devices (other phones, computers, tablets, TV, etc) are all connected fine, but won't connect. It can see the network, but that's it.

It's only my Moto X and only my home WiFi. It only happens once or twice a week, but it is annoying to have to reboot.

Mostly unrelated, but my Bluetooth icon doesn't always change state. I've noticed that sometimes even hours after getting out of my car the Bluetooth icon is white instead of dim gray like it should be when not connected. That doesn't seem to have any bearing on the ability to connect, just something I've noticed. Usually toggling BT off and on again fixes the issue.

Phone is a rooted 4.4 Verizon Moto Maker edition. I do have SnapDragon Battery Guru installed but I never set anything up to save power. There is a setting in stock WiFi settings about consuming less power on WiFi, but that would seemingly impact all networks, not just home, and it would only be in play once I am connected to the network, not before.

I do use Tasker to enable my WiFi when I get near home (based on cell towers when and I'm NOT connected to BT in my car), so WiFi typically shuts off when I leave home, turns on when I get to work (based on calendar events), turns off when work is done (calendar) and then turns on when I exit my car (BT disconnects and I'm connected to one of a few nearby towers). Only seems to happen when I get home from work, so it could be something in Tasker not properly enabling WiFi? If I notice it again I will try to connect to another different network before rebooting, if there any unsecured networks nearby at the time.

Thanks for any advice.

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
Sierra Nevada (west slope)
FYI... I use Tasker almost twice a day to shutdown wifi and turn on bluetooth (among other things) and have never had an issue connecting to any wifi. Not saying that is not a possibility in your case but it certainly hasn't been my experience.

fury683

Dec 20, 2010
MSP
FYI... I use Tasker almost twice a day to shutdown wifi and turn on bluetooth (among other things) and have never had an issue connecting to any wifi. Not saying that is not a possibility in your case but it certainly hasn't been my experience.

Thanks. I don't think it's Tasker, I've used it for years and never had any issues either.

I used screen record in Gravity Box to show what it does when I try to connect. It did what I described above upon arriving home from work today.

https://copy.com/fU1Gork0RZZmkXA

I tried connecting to my home network and then an xfinity network that uses a Web login or whatever to authenticate after connecting. Neither would work.

It would show full strength until I tap connect and then it goes to the lowest signal and does nothing.

Rebooting now, I guess.

santi.i

Feb 16, 2014
I have the same problem. Some other user advised me to configure my router as "G only" and it has worked.

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: fury683

fury683

Dec 20, 2010
MSP
I have the same problem. Some other user advised me to configure my router as "G only" and it has worked.

Thanks. I've had some other issues with my router lately too, so I did a factory reset yesterday afternoon. There were some plaguing speed and latency issues on wifi only. I learned that the smart TV while plugged in to ethernet, was still setup to use wifi. I don't know the spec on the wifi adapter in it, but I changed it to ethernet to see if the link speed for wifi devices would go up. It did jump from 24Mbps to 65Mbps, but still felt sluggish.

I will monitor it this week and see if it still has issues connecting. I don't want to limit to the G speeds, as everything that uses the wifi is N, I believe. There are three of us, all with new phones (2 Moto X and an S4), and one laptop that is used often, but it was bought in late 2013, so it (probably) has an N card.

I enjoy the battery life that wifi allows, but can't stand the 200-400KB/s speeds it seems to be offering. It has to be something with my home wifi, because when I'm on my wifi at work (fiber line) and load gifs from reddit they hit 2-3MB/s according to my network monitor.

aldouse

Jul 14, 2010
Milpitas
If you have a dual band router.... connect to the 5ghz frequency.... that worked better for me. The 2.4ghz had a better range, but kept getting page errors or disconnects

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fury683

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you have a dual band router.... connect to the 5ghz frequency.... that worked better for me. The 2.4ghz had a better range, but kept getting page errors or disconnects

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk