Bypass T-Mobile Tethering Restriction?

Search This thread

undercover nerd

Apr 18, 2014
sacramento
[QUOT??E=njdevils28;52109265]The Dev added a new option to disconect from WiFi Network when you enable tethering and start the Cell Data plan going. That way you just have to enable the App and it will disconect from an Active WiFi Conection for you. It works well.

I have attached the update from the Developer. I just saw that he updated his App on google play so the APK here is moot. Just update the App from the store and it will apear.

-NJ[/QUOTE]
Anyway to get the apk to work with out paying for it it says must buy to work lucky pAtcher

BlackAlpha7

Sep 27, 2013
Are there any other root work arounds besides paying for some app that may or may not work?

I can't remember the exact link but a few days ago I did find one that said it would work by changing one of the database settings through a SQL editor to wifi_tether_dun = 0 however after doing that it still checks my account and says it is not setup for mobile hotspot.

Does the Omega ROM (which I have seen multiple people says supports tethering out of the box) still have wifi calling included in it? I know with a lot of the custom roms you lose wifi calling and I am not willing to do that just yet.

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
I bought pdanet a while ago and it works great on my non rooted device for wired tethering.
Which will work perfectly if you are just using a computer

BlackAlpha7

Sep 27, 2013
Success!

And another note: If you have a saved WiFi connection, forget and delete it... then enable WiFi, then enable Tether!!!

Ping=70ms DL=18.28 Mbps UL=7.06 Mbps T-Mobile USA using LTE.

And $2.50 is worth the price hike for their stupid tethering prices. Suck it up and grow some, son.

SM-G900T Samsung Galaxy S5 T-Mobile
Kernel 3.4.0-964333 (Stock)
Android 4.4.2 (Stock)
Root=Yes
Build KOT49H.G900TUVU1ANCH

Now I just need to figure out how to get this latest firmware update....

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 AM ----------

So, after digging, reading, crying, and lots of booze, I found a solution to our ongoing issue.. HOWEVER, there's a note that isn't noted that's worth noting (huh?):

Do what they say on the following thread.
Spend $2.50 on Tether Router in the Play Store; or download the .APK (one of the first few pages in the thread).
Do what they say again in the thread.
If you have any existing WiFi connections saved and connect to them automatically, delete those connections (forget), leave WiFi enabled, then turn on the WiFi Router.

Here's a summery:

Use Root Explorer or a Root browser of some sort (ROM Toolbox is great since the Root Browser includes an XML editor) and navigate to system/csc

Change the permissions for customer.xml to allow read and write access.

Modify the customer.xml file and change the IPV6 values to IPV4. Also change the "<Editable>no</Editable>" to "<Editable>yes</Editable>".

Navigate to your system settings menu for your Access Point Names Settings > Network Connections > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. Use the Menu toggle and select the only option Reset to default. This may take a few seconds to a minute to refresh the list. If you click the "T-Mobile US LTE" APN, you should see that you can now edit the values, though you shouldn't have to if the APN Protocol is already set to IPv4. Mine is set to IPv4/IPv6 and works just fine.

Buy the darn app, Wifi Tether Router by FABIO GRASSO. It's only $2.50 and apparently, it works.

YOU NEED ROOT ACCESS

Launch Wifi Tether Router and select Configure WiFi Router.

Allow Root Access

Use the following settings to ensure stability and workability with your SGS5:
Interface wlan0
Method 3 - HostApd
Encryption wpa2-psk
Channel 1
Drivers nl80211
"HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
"No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

Ensure your wireless device is N or G compatible and adjust the setting accordingly in the same list.

Back out of the configuration settings once you've set them up but don't enable the hotspot yet.

First, open your WiFi settings and Turn on WiFi. If you connect to any WiFi networks, delete those network connections and don't connect to any wifi networks and leave WiFi turned ON.

Go Back to WiFi Tether Router and Enable WiFi Router.

Poof! It should be working. If for some stupid reason it isn't, Reboot your phone, enable WiFi, and try again.

If not, try the Omega international ROM that everyone is talking about. Tether works great on it from what I hear.

Here's the original threads that helped me: Thread 1, Winning Post

hillg001

Aug 14, 2010
Problem is - there are MULTIPLE ways to skin this cat. Example for us was, we have the un-throtled / unlimited T-mo LTE plan. can you imagine this plan, and you're letting the whole neighborhood piggyback off your wifi? VERY unfair ... so you can see why T-Mo wants to block some folks (like us). We found our international 8" Galaxy tab S had no issues (except getting it to run on a t-mo lte radio) with being block by default. But our T-MO Galaxy Note 3 was a diffrent story ... it took TONS of gymnastics to unblock T-Mo's wifi teather block. Funny thing; we only needed to let others use our wifi for a few days, than we'd be back to less than 12gb/month. that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Bottom line - every device may respond to unblocking differently . . . . that's why there are so many different suggestions on how to skin the cat. We tried numerous methods prior to enabling our note 3. After 8 attempts, number 9 worked for us. We had to (root, then) freeze T-Mo's stock wifi setup, than purchase one of several app store programs. After trying many of them ... it was the "wifi teather router" one that worked for us.

Last edited:

androidddaaron

Mar 9, 2011
WiFi tether router Works or worked wonders on 4.4.2 kitkat. Bypass upsell... the whole 9
Since lollipop update something drastically has changed the app doesn't work on 5.0.Which I figures until he update the app.
Other then that try an aosp rom or cm rom tether usually works off the bat .

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

neshkoda

Dec 26, 2012
EURICA!

Ok. Here it is. I dont take any credit and lost yhe original link. I was using wifi tether router on 4.4.2 tmobile galaxy s5 stock ROM and it worked great. After updating to lollipop it keeps giving me an error msg. Developer never responded back. I have tried many things and finally got tethering going. Just flush this file in recovery and fire away the native tethered apk. Works like a charm. Not overheating. Battery life is good. Most importantly my hotspot usage shows as ZERO after countless hours of streaming netflix! YAHOO!!!

Last edited:

neshkoda

Dec 26, 2012
I'm trying to make APN changes the Wifi Tether app says need to be made but the T-Mobile network is greed out in the settings. Is their a way to fix that?

Yeah, look for the "customer.xml" in system root folder, copy to temp directory. Edit with xml editor and replace ipv6 with ipv4. Make sure you get all of them. Then just move file back and replace the original. Btw, make a back up first. Then go to your network settings and "load the default". reboot. Now you are running ipv4.

gilbnx

Dec 16, 2005
Ok. Here it is. I dont take any credit and lost yhe original link. I was using wifi tether router on 4.4.2 tmobile galaxy s5 stock ROM and it worked great. After updating to lollipop it keeps giving me an error msg. Developer never responded back. I have tried many things and finally got tethering going. Just flush this file in recovery and fire away the native tethered apk. Works like a charm. Not overheating. Battery life is good. Most importantly my hotspot usage shows as ZERO after countless hours of streaming netflix! YAHOO!!!

neshkoda, Thanks for the file. I've installed it and it seems that tethering works OK (so far no increase in the hotspot count at T-mobile) but I'm facing an issue that might / might-not be related... I am now cannot update apps from google store through 4G even though internet is available and I can even browse the store; download of apps will not work and I get "waiting for network" message. It will only work if I'm enabling WiFi (of course when tethering is off). Can you download apps via 4G/LTE?

Thanks,
Gil.

neshkoda

Dec 26, 2012
Try hard reset, take your nattery out for a minute, then delete Dalvik in recovery. After that set your Hotspot to transmit in 5ghz frequency. That will get you back on. I can update everything no problem. Make sure you are on stock rom though. This is not for custom rom or kernels

Reactions: gilbnx

gilbnx

Dec 16, 2005
Try hard reset, take your nattery out for a minute, then delete Dalvik in recovery. After that set your Hotspot to transmit in 5ghz frequency. That will get you back on. I can update everything no problem. Make sure you are on stock rom though. This is not for custom rom or kernels

I did a a Dalvik and normal cache cleanup. I also did not see initially the 5Ghz settings but this time around I've also set that one. Seems to work now. Thanks!

I have an annoying boot-loop (probably a different issue all together). When the device comes up and I can see the home screen, it will reboot itself after 5 sec. or so. The only way to get out of the loop is to put the device in an airplane mode (in those 5 sec. I have) and then I can break the loop. I can turn off airplane mode after it was fully booted and stable and the phone will work... very strange (but yes, probably unrelated).

neshkoda

Dec 26, 2012
The new lollipop on galaxy s5 g900t seems to favor TWRP RECOVERY, not Clockworkmod. Make sure that boot strap flash is the most current one. Yeah, those issues are totally unrelated. The teather patch has to do with ipv6 headers where your problem is corrupted system.ui sounds like. The patch is runni g strong for 10 days now. 45GB thought tether and it does not draw from the hotspot. I really like the native apk.

gilbnx

Dec 16, 2005
The new lollipop on galaxy s5 g900t seems to favor TWRP RECOVERY, not Clockworkmod. Make sure that boot strap flash is the most current one. Yeah, those issues are totally unrelated. The teather patch has to do with ipv6 headers where your problem is corrupted system.ui sounds like. The patch is runni g strong for 10 days now. 45GB thought tether and it does not draw from the hotspot. I really like the native apk.

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately, switching to TWRP did not solve the problem. If my SGS5 is not in Airplane mode, the device will reboot itself after 5-10 seconds. Once it's in plane mode, it will reboot and will stay on, then I can turn off plane mode. Weird...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hmm. That seems to be what I need but the Tutorial makes the assumption that I have the ability to navigate to the proper system files and edit them. I tried and using windows explorer, I cannot find the system folder. If you could, would you make a Noob Guide TuT so that us Non-Devs could have WiFi Tethering? I know that implies work for you and I hate it when that happens to me, so maybe you could point to a beginners guide to get started?

First your phone needs to be rooted, then you need to have ES File Explorer installed on your phone. You can use ES File Explorer to edit the file in the system folder.

1. Open ES File Explorer
    2. Pull up the Menu for it (hold down the multitask button for that)
    3. Tap on Tools
    4. Turn on Root Explorer
    5. Tap on Root Explorer on the left side and go to Mount R/W
    6. Make sure all of the settings are set to RW, tap OK
    7. Up top tap / that should take you to the root of the phone,

Now you should be able to follow the instructions from the previous link i sent you to Jovy's TuT. Make sure to also edit the one above the Tethering APN and enable it to be editable.

When you click on the file it opens it up in read only, you have to hit the menu in the top right corner to edit the file.

Be very careful and only change what he tells you to change. I would make a back up of the file and place it somewhere you know you can find it.

Once you have enabled the APN and saved the file restart your phone. Once you are restarted navigate to where the APN's are. System Settings, More Networks, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names. Once you are there click on the top right corner and tap Reset to Default. That should pull down the new settings so you can edit your APN settings.

Then follow these instructions.

Need to change your APN, simply navigate to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Access Point Names. Select your T-Mobile APN, and scroll to APN protocol. Change this to IPv4, and then save your APN

I think that covers everything that I did.
    Success!

And another note: If you have a saved WiFi connection, forget and delete it... then enable WiFi, then enable Tether!!!

Ping=70ms DL=18.28 Mbps UL=7.06 Mbps T-Mobile USA using LTE.

And $2.50 is worth the price hike for their stupid tethering prices. Suck it up and grow some, son.

SM-G900T Samsung Galaxy S5 T-Mobile
    Kernel 3.4.0-964333 (Stock)
    Android 4.4.2 (Stock)
    Root=Yes
    Build KOT49H.G900TUVU1ANCH

Now I just need to figure out how to get this latest firmware update....

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 AM ----------

So, after digging, reading, crying, and lots of booze, I found a solution to our ongoing issue.. HOWEVER, there's a note that isn't noted that's worth noting (huh?):

Do what they say on the following thread.
    Spend $2.50 on Tether Router in the Play Store; or download the .APK (one of the first few pages in the thread).
    Do what they say again in the thread.
    If you have any existing WiFi connections saved and connect to them automatically, delete those connections (forget), leave WiFi enabled, then turn on the WiFi Router.

Here's a summery:

Use Root Explorer or a Root browser of some sort (ROM Toolbox is great since the Root Browser includes an XML editor) and navigate to system/csc

Change the permissions for customer.xml to allow read and write access.

Modify the customer.xml file and change the IPV6 values to IPV4. Also change the "<Editable>no</Editable>" to "<Editable>yes</Editable>".

Navigate to your system settings menu for your Access Point Names Settings > Network Connections > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names. Use the Menu toggle and select the only option Reset to default. This may take a few seconds to a minute to refresh the list. If you click the "T-Mobile US LTE" APN, you should see that you can now edit the values, though you shouldn't have to if the APN Protocol is already set to IPv4. Mine is set to IPv4/IPv6 and works just fine.

Buy the darn app, Wifi Tether Router by FABIO GRASSO. It's only $2.50 and apparently, it works.

YOU NEED ROOT ACCESS

Launch Wifi Tether Router and select Configure WiFi Router.

Allow Root Access

Use the following settings to ensure stability and workability with your SGS5:
    Interface wlan0
    Method 3 - HostApd
    Encryption wpa2-psk
    Channel 1
    Drivers nl80211
    "HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
    "No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

Ensure your wireless device is N or G compatible and adjust the setting accordingly in the same list.

Back out of the configuration settings once you've set them up but don't enable the hotspot yet.

First, open your WiFi settings and Turn on WiFi. If you connect to any WiFi networks, delete those network connections and don't connect to any wifi networks and leave WiFi turned ON.

Go Back to WiFi Tether Router and Enable WiFi Router.

Poof! It should be working. If for some stupid reason it isn't, Reboot your phone, enable WiFi, and try again.

If not, try the Omega international ROM that everyone is talking about. Tether works great on it from what I hear.

Here's the original threads that helped me: Thread 1, Winning Post
    I have been using WiFI Tether Router for a long while now. It gives you unrestricted tethering. Make sure to read the instructions for T-Mobile phones on the developers Web page. https://sites.google.com/site/wifitetherrouter/home/device-configuration it works great as long as you are rooted. I use about 120GB a month with 2 AT&T phones tethering off of me at work. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Install the omega Rom from the international thread. Works perfect and includes tethering. I would post a link but Im on mobile and is kind of a pain in the neck

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Thank you very much!
    I was able to follow your procedure and edit the proper files. However, T-Mobile US LTE (Set as default) is stil grey.
    T-Mobile Tethering is editable.

How do I make the US LTE Editable?

-NJ

My apologies, you have to edit the one above the tethering APN as well. It should be directly above the tethering one it should say T Mobile LTE us. You want to make that one editable as well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app