[Q] Limitations with USBHost Switcher?

Search This thread

PMikeP

Jul 12, 2013
Wow, I spent a lot of time chasing this problem, thinking it was some setting in my HD+. (Since I tinker a lot disabling services.)

I have USBHost Switcher installed and it has worked fine. (With a gender changer of course.)

So I tried a brand new 32 GB Kingston USB 3.0 thumb drive I just got. (Supposedly compatible with USB 2.0.)

Nothing. I get a warning that the USB drive was "unexpectedly disconnected." (A race condition? Too fast?)

It's formatted FAT32, with 16kb clusters from the factory. (If cluster size matters to the Nook.) But I can mount a 32 GB FAT32 card with 32 KB clusters, and I can mount an old 256 MB USB 1.0 thumb drive. So the problem seems to be following the USB 3.0 drive. Any thoughts about this and what I can do to get it to play?

Before I concluded that the problem is with the USB 3.0 flash drive, I had tried my Passport WD 1TB external drive as another test of USBHost Switcher. That drive had worked before, but in the meantime I had reformatted it to exFAT. Can't see it on the Nook HD+ anymore. (Bad experimenting. Changing too many variables at once.) I'm guessing not seeing exFAT is a kernel problem?

Sigh. I'm not doing too well here with external storage. I thought I was being smart when androidpolice announced an Amazon sale on this Kingston flash drive. But maybe there's a reason it was on sale?

D

Deleted member 2092952

Some things need to be behind a usb hub. Don't know if that's one of them.

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
I have an OEM 16gb USB flash drive and a SanDisk 32gb flash drive. Both are USB 2.0, but the OEM doesn't work on my nook.

PMikeP

Jul 12, 2013
Have a look around this thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2307585&page=9
The app TPUSBUmount can fix power issues removing the need to hide accessories behind a hub. Turn on the USBhostswitcher, open TPUSBUmount and connect your thumb drive. The TPUSBUmount will tell you if power if the problem

Thanks for the info. I tried the TPUSBUmount app and it reported a power problem with the Kingston USB 3.0 flash drive. Unfixable.

It turns out that the same flash drive also do not work with a Lenovo desktop machine.