Does Droid 3 Support OTG?

Search This thread

somemadcaaant

Apr 28, 2010
Android Wear
OnePlus 7T Pro
Wow no1 has replied...

The drivers and phone is capable like any other - Not officially, plugging devices into the phone will not work, nor windows wont give you full host access with out using mass storage mode.

There is a little application called Droidexplorer which works in a similar fashion to otg, but also allows access every part of the phone (root) when simply plugged in even when the phone is set to charge only mode.

Excellent app if this is what your looking for, look it up.

-smc

heartaone

Sep 29, 2010
maybe trick

Maybe any trick USB OTG for droid 3 use application like q5 memory manager?

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
OTG works perfectly with a modded lapdock, with the keyboard, touchpad and 2 USB ports all interfacing via USB. The stock ROM even supports mounting and unmounting flash drives as shown by a screenshot in this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25111643&postcount=29

But I could never get it working with an OTG adapter. That same OTG adapter works fine on my Touchpad so thats not the issue. Its possible that the Droid 3 needs +5v Vcc to be connected, because when its on the lapdock its charging as well as providing OTG. This is different from my Touchpad which refuses to charge when in OTG and doesn't even need Vcc connected.

kaiw1982

Oct 22, 2011
Taipei
Hi,
I use ME863 that could support OTG but Just need through an Usb hub
that has external power supply.

I think Droid 3 should be ok, too.

uploadfromtaptalk1350577117556.jpg

Sent from my ME863 using xda app-developers app

Schneider1492

Jan 13, 2013
Amazon Fire TV
i was able to get OTG working with a powered hub. last weekend i cracked open my hd dock for my droid 3 and added a $3 usb hub from monoprice.com. i now have 3 external usb ports that work flawlessly. $16 wireless keyboard/mouse combo from Gigabyte works like a charm from the couch with a 40" screen. hdmi+OTG+charge all work simultaneously.

the hdmi in the dock is just a pass-through so leave it alone. the wires for the usb port are labeled on the board. i crossed the brown(sense) with the bare ground. moved the r-w-g-b wires to there respective holes on the pcb for the hub. there are 3 empty holes on the pcb for the hub witch you can easily determine one is for power and the other 2 are ground (like there was an option for external power that didn't get soldered on the board). i ran wires from the power and ground holes i found on the hub to the original red and black holes on the dock pcb to piggy back power. i also relocated the led to a new hole in the front of the dock.

i also played around trying to get dock mode to work at the same time(if you actually want that). it seems if you only momentarily ground sence wire bur leave it hooked to the dock it will go back into dock mode but all devices that were initialized seem to keep working. you could in theory hold down a button after docking to initialize the usb accessories than let go to put it back into dock.

i also tried to find a way to get the audio out port to work (under the assumption it functioned like a usb sound card) but in the end i gave up as i cant think of an instance i would use it as the audio already feeds through the hdmi port. i would like to know if anyone gets it working though.

TheRabbit2

Jun 6, 2010
Got it working as well

Just wanted to say that I got it to work with a similar setup as kaiw1982.

I bought a powered usb hub and installing 2 apps to get mass storage support:
usb host controller for host support and paragon ntfs&HFS+ for ntfs support.

Running XT860 with Minimoto 1.7 and Maverick 4.0

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
Droid3

Just wanted to say that I got it to work with a similar setup as kaiw1982.

I bought a powered usb hub and installing 2 apps to get mass storage support:
usb host controller for host support and paragon ntfs&HFS+ for ntfs support.

Running XT860 with Minimoto 1.7 and Maverick 4.0

Hope this helps

Hello,

I have a Droid3 and will be retiring it soon. I can use it as an XBMC media center IF I can get ethernet to work on it. My WIFI connections are NOT stable enough to broadcast live 1080p TV although SD TV does work.

Have either of you tested a USB-ETHERNET adapter with the droid3?

Thanks

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
Hello,

I have a Droid3 and will be retiring it soon. I can use it as an XBMC media center IF I can get ethernet to work on it. My WIFI connections are NOT stable enough to broadcast live 1080p TV although SD TV does work.

Have either of you tested a USB-ETHERNET adapter with the droid3?

Thanks

I don't have one but I'd give it a low chance of working since support for USB devices on anything older than Android 3.x isn't that good. About the only things that work are mass storage devices like flash drivers and HID input devices like keyboards and mice.

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
I can confirm that the D3 supports otg, with or without a usb hub, but BOTH the phone and usb device must receive 5v from the same source.

OTG cable is also required due to the grounded ID pin.

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
I finally got around to ordering a proper OTG cable, I bought one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YPYORM

It works, some devices seemed to work okay without the hub, but best results are achieved using a hub. Then its just as reliable as USB support is when using a modded lapdock. Keyboard and mice work, mass storage devices like flash drives work, and surprisingly the Files app supports them and gives an eject option in the notification bar.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally got around to ordering a proper OTG cable, I bought one like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YPYORM

It works, some devices seemed to work okay without the hub, but best results are achieved using a hub. Then its just as reliable as USB support is when using a modded lapdock. Keyboard and mice work, mass storage devices like flash drives work, and surprisingly the Files app supports them and gives an eject option in the notification bar.
    Does Droid 3 support OTG like SGS2?