Huge Miscellaneous File

Search This thread

Hobson318

Mar 12, 2013
Upstate NY
So I bricked my daughters S3 and sent it back to samsung. They fixed it no charge which was nice and when I looked at it last night I noticed they upgraded her to 32gb from 16gb. Here is the problem, looking in storage it shows over 19gb being used for miscellaneous files. Now unfortunately they upgraded her software to 4.3 before they sent it back. (dirty bastards.....lol) Just didn't know if there was something to do to gain that lost space. Looking at my phone which is 16gb model it only shows less then 4gb used for misc. files. I did try doing a factory reset and it didn't change anything. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
So I bricked my daughters S3 and sent it back to samsung. They fixed it no charge which was nice and when I looked at it last night I noticed they upgraded her to 32gb from 16gb. Here is the problem, looking in storage it shows over 19gb being used for miscellaneous files. Now unfortunately they upgraded her software to 4.3 before they sent it back. (dirty bastards.....lol) Just didn't know if there was something to do to gain that lost space. Looking at my phone which is 16gb model it only shows less then 4gb used for misc. files. I did try doing a factory reset and it didn't change anything. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

There's no easy fix for this without a custom recovery. Since you're already stock, you can try to Odin the stock 4.3 file located here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319

This will format everything and return you to a factory state, should clear up miscellaneous files.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Hobson318

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
So I bricked my daughters S3 and sent it back to samsung. They fixed it no charge which was nice and when I looked at it last night I noticed they upgraded her to 32gb.

If you tab on misc files, It should display all the folder name and its size. I know that you don't have root yet but see if you can delete them as is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: BadUsername

Hobson318

Mar 12, 2013
Upstate NY
There's no easy fix for this without a custom recovery. Since you're already stock, you can try to Odin the stock 4.3 file located here:

This will format everything and return you to a factory state, should clear up miscellaneous files.

so i tried without the pit file first and it still was the same. then did it with the pit file and now the misc files reads 5.74gb instead of the 19.76gb it did read. so this worked very well.

Last edited:

Hobson318

Mar 12, 2013
Upstate NY
If you tab on misc files, It should display all the folder name and its size. I know that you don't have root yet but see if you can delete them as is.

checked it and the files were very small. not planning on doing anything other than stock with this phone. but i would like to get back what appears to me to be lost storage space.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
checked it and the files were very small. not planning on doing anything other than stock with this phone. but i would like to get back what appears to me to be lost storage space.

if you tab on the MISC storage and it should display a list of folders with size, can you upload the screen shot? It's possible that they make a backup of your phone before they upgraded...

Hobson318

Mar 12, 2013
Upstate NY
if you tab on the MISC storage and it should display a list of folders with size, can you upload the screen shot? It's possible that they make a backup of your phone before they upgraded...

When I tabbed on the misc files it did give me a list but the files were small. i was able to fix it anyway by odin the stock 4.3 software and using the 32gb pit file. now the misc files show as 5.76gb as it should instead of 19.76gb like it did. so i am all set.

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
Are you on stock?

Stock roms like to hide files and it can make it seem like there's a bajillion unnecessary files on the device, when it's actually just misc files related to the rom OR, if you're not rooted, you can't even see the files that are taking up so much space.

Hobson318

Mar 12, 2013
Upstate NY
Are you on stock?

Stock roms like to hide files and it can make it seem like there's a bajillion unnecessary files on the device, when it's actually just misc files related to the rom OR, if you're not rooted, you can't even see the files that are taking up so much space.

Yeah it is on stock. When Samsung fixed it they upgraded it for me to 4.3. I can't complain too much though since it is my daughters phone and when they put in a new system board, they put in the 32gb one instead of the 16gb that was in it. and didn't charge me a cent. but the partitions had to be messed because as soon as i flashed the pit file which repartitioned the phone, my misc file size came down to normal and i gained 14gb of space. so i guess the moral is, if the misc files size is way out of control and nothing fixes it, try repartitioning.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So I bricked my daughters S3 and sent it back to samsung. They fixed it no charge which was nice and when I looked at it last night I noticed they upgraded her to 32gb.