[THEME] [CM9] Cyanored

Search This thread

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
This is pretty ugly :(
Some things look promising, like the keyboard, but red seems to clash with blue pretty badly.
Also, status bar icons just hurt to look at...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Still I'd like to see if you can do better. Since there are only 2 themes available for CM9 right now, we could definitely do with another one.

Personally I think this theme is radically different from any other which in itself makes it astronomically good and striking.

Logged using an SGS2 type droid while floating in CM9 quadrant...

buzzboy

Oct 29, 2010
Canterbury
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Still I'd like to see if you can do better. Since there are only 2 themes available for CM9 right now, we could definitely do with another one.

Personally I think this theme is radically different from any other which in itself makes it astronomically good and striking.

I have to agree.
I actually like this theme for it's departure from the "Norm".

Cheers

Last edited:

SilverHedgehog

Oct 30, 2010
Cupertino
You know, just because something is free, doesn't mean it's instantly good.
"It's free, so no complaining" is a pretty bad excuse.

As I said before, some parts of this theme are promising, like the keyboard, but most of other things look pretty bad, and I even know the reason for that, red and blue clash terribly on a dark background.

And I wouldn't call it "radically" different.
The creator recolored the UI elements from blue to red, that is not very radical to me.
I never created a theme because I'm fine with how standard Android UI is.

But just because I don't create themes (though I may give you some suggestions), or just because this is free, doesn't mean that I shouldn't be allowed to criticize this theme.

Besides, are you really that insecure about your creations, that you stand behind the "it's free!" excuse, and can't just address the complaints?

Anyway, my suggestions are:

Get rid of the blue color. It clashes with red (ESPECIALLY in the status bar). I know Cyanored stands for Cyan and Red, but it would be better if you could make it CyanogenMod Red.

Use standard Android fonts and anti-aliasing for your logos and wallpapers.
This simple mockup (the font is Roboto, the color is #cb2719) looks better than your current logo:
zV2n5.png

Reactions: PyroCF

PyroCF

Aug 26, 2010

As I said before, some parts of this theme are promising, like the keyboard, but most of other things look pretty bad, and I even know the reason for that, red and blue clash terribly on a dark background.

The creator recolored the UI elements from blue to red, that is not very radical to me.

But just because I don't create themes (though I may give you some suggestions), or just because this is free, doesn't mean that I shouldn't be allowed to criticize this theme.

Besides, are you really that insecure about your creations, that you stand behind the "it's free!" excuse, and can't just address the complaints?

Get rid of the blue color. It clashes with red (ESPECIALLY in the status bar). I know Cyanored stands for Cyan and Red, but it would be better if you could make it CyanogenMod Red.

This simple mockup (the font is Roboto, the color is #cb2719) looks better than your current logo:
zV2n5.png

Agree with this so much. A little constructive criticism is good.
I've noticed this a fair bit on XDA, if someone says they don't like it and even when they justify their own view they get jumped on. I know it's a good sign of a supportive community but hey ho.

Rixsta

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 26, 2010
Nottingham
It was just an idea so I went with it, its very different from what I usually do, its the first time Ive mixed two colours...

I knew it wouldn't be for everyone ....its fine to have opinions, phone guru is making a red one, so I look forward to seeing that...

SilverHedgehog

Oct 30, 2010
Cupertino
Well, alright. Your other themes do look better.
It's just that I'm really really sick of seeing bad, inconsistent Android themes that clash quite badly and just look bad.
This one did show promise, so I decided to comment.

It you'll ever want advice on any other themes, I'm always around. ;)

SimboXXX

Jun 7, 2010
I've noticed this a fair bit on XDA, if someone says they don't like it and even when they justify their own view they get jumped on. I know it's a good sign of a supportive community but hey ho.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and trolling.

Reactions: buzzboy
S

Stifler69

At the end of the day the theme is firstly for Geko and Rixsta. They use it on their phones and they decided to share it. It is their theme firstly and it is to their taste. And they have been kind enough to share it with the community. Now if people do not like it then of course they can voice their opinions but at the end of the day it is down to what Rixsta and Geko want..Give your opinions share on how they can make it better but as always the final word is with them to what adjustments they make as they do the theme for their phones and their own pleasure firstly before anything else.:)

SilverHedgehog

Oct 30, 2010
Cupertino
At the end of the day the theme is firstly for Geko and Rixsta. They use it on their phones and they decided to share it. It is their theme firstly and it is to their taste. And they have been kind enough to share it with the community. Now if people do not like it then of course they can voice their opinions but at the end of the day it is down to what Rixsta and Geko want..Give your opinions share on how they can make it better but as always the final word is with them to what adjustments they make as they do the theme for their phones and their own pleasure firstly before anything else.:)

Well, that's exactly what I did! Rixta seems like a good theme creator - I especially like his Juicy Orange theme.

I wasn't trolling anyone.

TehWhale

Dec 17, 2011
How was that trolling at all? He was giving a constructive opinion on how to make this clashing theme look better. I personally don't like it and can see why others don't. It just clashes so much with red and blue. It's like 3D glasses.. With that said, the OP has plenty of potential judging by his previous themes, certain ones just need a little bit of reworking to really shine.

Reactions: SilverHedgehog

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator

Best comment so far.

In all honesty, if you don't like the theme there is no point in commenting. We shared it so people that like the diverse look can use it as well and there was only one theme available for CM9. Bottom line is if you don't think it works then don't use it. No need to say that it doesn't work, for us its an amazing theme. Never seen a theme as striking as this one.

Last edited:

SilverHedgehog

Oct 30, 2010
Cupertino
Best comment so far.

In all honesty, if you don't like the theme there is no point in commenting. We shared it so people that like the diverse look can use it as well and there was only one theme available for CM9. Bottom line is if you don't think it works then don't use it. No need to say that it doesn't work, for us its an amazing theme. Never seen a theme as striking as this one.

Ahem.

And that's what I did. I gave my opinion.
However you seem to think that people should only ever talk good about your theme.

You know, the "don't use it if you don't like it" is the WORST excuse ever.
I have seen it so much, and it makes no sense to me.

Just because you created something doesn't mean that you are immune to criticism, and just because you think it's good doesn't mean that it's good (same applies to my opinion too).

Reactions: FPtje

FPtje

Aug 11, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Best comment so far.

The worst developer is one that tells the people off that give him constructive criticism.

The Argument of dismissal is one of the most annoying fallacious arguments around.

CamoGeko

Retired Forum Moderator
The worst developer is one that tells the people off that give him constructive criticism.

The Argument of dismissal is one of the most annoying fallacious arguments around.

We're not developers and I'm not arguing, we are simply sharing something we have done for ourselves. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but only after people realise how much work was involved in the project and are thankful first of all before providing the critisism.

However, just slagging off the theme's colour scheme is not welcomed (comments such as.... ew colours are all wrong). This is how its supposed to be as this was the original idea from the start, like it says in the OP.

Last edited:

SimboXXX

Jun 7, 2010
@geko95gek
Dude, your work is really appreciated. Let the moaners (constructive criticizers) moan, and everyone else will enjoy your themes.

Reactions: CamoGeko

dully79

Apr 29, 2010
res/drawable
droidcandy.weebly.com
Firstly... congratulations on your cm9 theme and remember as long as your happy that's all that counts.:) If others like it, but don't like the colour scheme change it yourself.

Secondly... I'm all for voicing an opinion( I get in trouble for this almost on daily basis), but I also think people should respect the time and effort people put into various projects. If the dev asks for feedback then share your feelings, if they don't "move on, nothing to see here", use your time for better things.

Finally... what is going on with xda? I have to agree with the poster in the link below. There are far too many people who demand and expect various things but have no intention of getting their hands dirty and learning how to do it themselves or contribute anything in return, the words "ungrateful leeches" spring to my mind.
READ THIS!!!:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2031989&postcount=45

Carry on your good work lads. I might be after a couple of pointers if I decide to theme on cm9. ;)

SilverHedgehog

Oct 30, 2010
Cupertino
We're not developers and I'm not arguing, we are simply sharing something we have done for ourselves. Constructive criticism is welcomed, but only after people realise how much work was involved in the project and are thankful first of all before providing the critisism.

However, just slagging off the theme's colour scheme is not welcomed (comments such as.... ew colours are all wrong). This is how its supposed to be as this was the original idea from the start, like it says in the OP.

The amount of time you put in a project you shared PUBLICLY does not excuse it from anything, especially others' criticism.
And the colors were not the ONLY thing that I found wrong.
But of course everyone only addressed that complaint.
@geko95gek
Dude, your work is really appreciated. Let the moaners (constructive criticizers) moan, and everyone else will enjoy your themes.
And again, The amount of time you put in a project you shared PUBLICLY does not excuse it from anything, especially others' criticism.

Firstly... congratulations on your cm9 theme and remember as long as your happy that's all that counts.:) If others like it, but don't like the colour scheme change it yourself.

Secondly... I'm all for voicing an opinion( I get in trouble for this almost on daily basis), but I also think people should respect the time and effort people put into various projects. If the dev asks for feedback then share your feelings, if they don't "move on, nothing to see here", use your time for better things.

Finally... what is going on with xda? I have to agree with the poster in the link below. There are far too many people who demand and expect various things but have no intention of getting their hands dirty and learning how to do it themselves or contribute anything in return, the words "ungrateful leeches" spring to my mind.
READ THIS!!!:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2031989&postcount=45

Carry on your good work lads. I might be after a couple of pointers if I decide to theme on cm9. ;)
They made a theme. Good for them, I have nothing against that. I even said that this theme showed promise and gave my suggestions.

And for the third time: The amount of time you put in a project you shared PUBLICLY does not excuse it from anything, especially others' criticism.
If you post something on a FORUM, you should expect to get criticism. You know why I don't theme? Because I'm happy with how stock android looks. But that does NOT mean that I am banned from voicing my opinions on a FORUM.
If you only want to receive positive responses all the time, don't put your content on a forum, but on a page with a Facebook Like button.

Also, about that 'journey' post. I'd like to address this bit:
See if you read the threads then you get to experience the learning process, you see how the issues were investigated and confirmed. Then you get to watch the different attempts at resolution and learn why some failed while others worked. That is called Development.
Let's see how this went with this theme and my comments:

The issue: colors clash.
The resolution: "don't like it, don't use it"

The issue: bad font choice and lack of anti-aliasing
The resolution: None. That part of my post was ignored completely.

IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
The said 'journey' is driven by issues and their resolution.
However, nowadays, the issues are not being resolved. You just have people say "don't like it, don't use it", and not addressing the issues at all.
If everyone just said good things, there would be no journey. Everything would just stand still. You would probably still be using DOS, on 20 year old hardware, because no one ever said that typing commands on a black screen sucked because "they respect the time and effort Microsoft put in their project".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rixsta's back on CM9 Format ... teamed up with Geko95Gek, my partner in crime ;)

The idea came from me and geko95gek to make a cyan and red theme based on ICS CM9 so here it is ......

Changelog ...

Themed ...
    Framework
    SystemUI
    Settings
    Contacts
    Phone
    Android Keyboard
    Music app
    Much more ....

Now for the screens .........

Home screens Info

Solar dial Clock Dark Here -

https://market.android.com/search?q=solar+dial+clock&c=apps

Modded Nova Launcher Here -
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1389071

XDA themed ICS app Here -
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1464657

Instructions

Flash on stock CM9 rom, no themes or mods, tested on the last 3 builds (included latest to date this was written - 02122012)
    Place zip on Internal SD Card
    Boot into CWM
    Wipe cache and dalvik
    Flash
    Reboot

It seems that sometimes the wallpaper doesn't seem to flash so Ill post it here just in case ...

Credits

Vert for some blood mode pngs
    D79_ for the amazing battery mod
    dully79 for the zip
    geko95gek my team mate
    Jumba for a few pngs from my red theme
    Some I forgotten, will add you soon.
    Download Links

WARNING!!

Do not flash on the latest 20-02-2012 CM9 build, or you will get SystemUI has stopped error. I'm working on a fix.

zV2n5.png

This is pretty ugly :(
    Some things look promising, like the keyboard, but red seems to clash with blue pretty badly.
    Also, status bar icons just hurt to look at...
    @geko95gek