OFFICIAL: update.zip is finally here! :D

Search This thread

schwartzman93

Aug 12, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, if you are getting impatient on waiting to get your scoop of FroYo...this is NOT the RUU, so it will not wipe any memory off your phone...PLEASE READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BEGIN!

Quick Note: While one of the great things about the update.zip is that you are not required to clear your memory...i have found from personal experience that your phone will run much smoother by doing a factory reset(much like it would by wiping your hard drive on the computer). This has nothing to do with the update.zip....people who recieved the OTA from Verizon have also reported lots of bugs with updating.

First off, ensure that you have the Stock 2.1 ROM with first OTA, it WILL NOT work otherwise.
software/Build version will read as the following: 1.22.605.2...if it is 1.22.605.0, the update wont work...please go here to update it http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7933281#post7933281

Directions:
-Drop the update.zip provided at the bottom of the page on to the Root of your SD card.(Just to clarify the "root" of your sd card means you just drag and drop the file to your SD card. DO NOT put it in any folders!)

- Turn your phone off.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power at the same time to boot into HBOOT.
-
When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
- Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
- When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
- Using the volume button, scroll down to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it.
-Your phone should update now, but it will take some time

enjoy your FroYo everyone :)...and a very special thanks to teslatech at Android Central for pulling the .zip from his phone

Update.zip here....http://www.4shared.com/file/aI_WeWN7/update.html

Or here...http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6MC4BIEG

All issues should be resolved at this point...PLEASE REPORT IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER ISSUES!

EDIT:>>>>>>>>Youur Baseband should read as followed to perform this update....1.00.03.04.06...if it doesnt please follow this link to downgrade your phone to stock Android 2.1 http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/99828-video-howto-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Follow this link for rooting directions AFTER you install the update.zip ...http://www.droid-life.com/2010/09/07/unrevoked-3-2-drops-1-click-root-for-2-2-on-droid-incredible/

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,158
  • device2.jpg
    device2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,132
  • device3.jpg
    device3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 959
  • adobe1.jpg
    adobe1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 968
  • widgets.jpg
    widgets.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 996
  • flashlight.jpg
    flashlight.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 762
Last edited:

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
The assumption is that you download, rename as update.zip, place in your sdcard root and then go to recovery?

Berzerker7

Jan 17, 2010
Yes, that's all that's required, rename to update.zip, apply this.

Make sure you're software version is 1.22.605.2 before you apply this update. If you installed the OTA from a couple months ago, you should be fine.

rmk40

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 13, 2010
If anyone still doubted the RUU was not the same as the OTA, it is. I've compared all the files which aren't patch files and they are identical matches.

schwartzman93

Aug 12, 2010
If anyone still doubted the RUU was not the same as the OTA, it is. I've compared all the files which aren't patch files and they are identical matches.

I never said it wasnt, did i?...some of us dont want to use the RUU, cuz it wipes the memory off the phone...the update.zip doesnt..and we have been scrambling for days to get it

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
Copied to update.zip on the sdcard, went to recovery.... just sits there with black device and red triangle !

Been about 5 mins, nothing further, no indication it saw anything.

rmk40

Jun 13, 2010
I never said it wasnt, did i?...some of us dont want to use the RUU, cuz it wipes the memory off the phone...the update.zip doesnt..and we have been scrambling for days to get it

If it sounded like I was downing getting the update.zip, sorry about that. That was not my intention. Thanks for getting it to us.

I was just pointing out for the folks who still thought it was different that I've done an MD5 comparison and they're identical.

rmk40

Jun 13, 2010
Copied to update.zip on the sdcard, went to recovery.... just sits there with black device and red triangle !

Press volume up + power button, which brings up the recovery menu. Then apply update.zip.

schwartzman93

Aug 12, 2010

yea, same here...we are trying to figure it out over at android central...sorry i posted this thread up...i just got so gitty...we will have it figured out asap though

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
Press volume up + power button, which brings up the recovery menu. Then apply update.zip.

thanks. but the update failed.

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...
verifying update package...
installing update...
Verifying current system...
asser failed: very long string
E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

schwartzman93

Aug 12, 2010

installing update...
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

we are trying our best...im sorry for prematurely posting this up...as you can see i changed the title in hopes that someone can help

marcmarshall

Apr 20, 2010
Providence
I'm total noobe and probably should hold my tongue but what of you rename to the proper pb...img.z
ip? I forget the numbers for the incredible.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ

installing update...
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

The assert error indicates there is something on the phone configuration it doesn't like. It is not because the download file failed. that succeeded and matched the correct checksum's. Confirmed this with Unrevoked on IRC.

Just in case someone else gets this.

looks like I will use the RUU update instead. Will do it from work since I only have Win7 here.

schwartzman93

Aug 12, 2010
I'm total noobe and probably should hold my tongue but what of you rename to the proper pb...img.z
ip? I forget the numbers for the incredible.

i have successfully got it working under update.zip...i will post up a new thread shortly

....but can someone tell me how to delete this one?

Hack.Me

Aug 31, 2010
Intriguing

Alright so after playing round a bit I've had some interesting luck.

After downloading the file I renamed it to update.zip, placed it within the root of my sd card and proceeded to turn the phone off.

After entering Hboot ( Volume Down + Power ) I launched recovery.

At the recovery screen the phone with a red triangle, I did Volume up + Power to bring up the recovery options and chose Apply update : sd card

It took a few minutes to load, asked me to select reboot from menu. Loaded the 2.2 splash and I now have froyo.

My question is, Couldn't this be done from clockwork as well as there is an SD update from there as well?

schwartzman93

Aug 12, 2010
Alright so after playing round a bit I've had some interesting luck.

After downloading the file I renamed it to update.zip, placed it within the root of my sd card and proceeded to turn the phone off.

After entering Hboot ( Volume Down + Power ) I launched recovery.

At the recovery screen the phone with a red triangle, I did Volume up + Power to bring up the recovery options and chose Apply update : sd card

It took a few minutes to load, asked me to select reboot from menu. Loaded the 2.2 splash and I now have froyo.

My question is, Couldn't this be done from clockwork as well as there is an SD update from there as well?

Unfortunately...im the wrong person to ask, lol...im not good when it comes to rooting

Hack.Me

Aug 31, 2010
Reason I ask is because it could potentially save a lot of time and effort on the peoples part of having to return to stock etc.... assuming they are running the correct version and baseband pre update. But then again, the update could perhaps check to ensure the stock recovery is in place before hand. Had I not just have updated I would try it myself.

Perhaps we could find a guinea pig to try updating via clockwork...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Safari didn't do that. For some reason, it just turned it into a folder called update. I compressed it, turning it into a zip file. I followed the instructions and still it said it couldn't locate it, so i'll just wait for the update. Thanks anyway!
    Is My Face Red?

I used someone else's saved OTA and loaded it manually. That is what this whole thread is discussing.

Ooops! Thanks for your patient answers. I am obviously a bit confused. I was hoping someone was talking about getting the OTA update OTA, not updating from a copy someone else saved. Sorry if I annoyed you.