LG optimus S and Htc hero

Will you stay with htc if they do not release Froyo for cdma HTC hero?

• Total voters
Search This thread

shyam101

Aug 20, 2010
Under Your Bed
ok what I thought was stupid is the LG optimus S has the 90% same specs of the hero how the hell can it get 2.2 and our hardware our htc hero is 1-2 years old(i think 1) not even been in for long enough and it cant get 2.2 when LG optimus can?! (offical 2.2 froyo not the roms) so stupid someone should just port the LG optimus S to the hero and then we can tell htc the 3rd finger

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
ok what I thought was stupid is the LG optimus S has the 90% same specs of the hero how the hell can it get 2.2 and our hardware our htc hero is 1-2 years old(i think 1) not even been in for long enough and it cant get 2.2 when LG optimus can?! (offical 2.2 froyo not the roms) so stupid someone should just port the LG optimus S to the hero and then we can tell htc the 3rd finger

I think the primary issue is using Sense. Since the Hero is a Sense device, so on top of getting 2.2 perfectly functioning, they have to modify Sense to be compatible as well, and that is just something they don't want to invest in.

I swear this might be my FIRST and LAST HTC phone I have ever bought.. I'd rather go with Samsung so far their doing great with their android galaxy series

Lol Samsung support their top-tier Galaxy line is not a good comparison against HTC and their low-mid range Hero. Samsung was responsible for one of the worst debacles in Android support history, promising 2.1 for Behold II users and then all of a sudden abandoning support after releasing 1.6. HTC is much more consistent, not to mention their build quality is the best in the industry.

is it made my htc?.....lol no

Yes, the MyTouch 3G is made by HTC. MyTouch is just T-Mobile's branding, it is originally the HTC Sapphire or Magic. The MyTouch 3G and Hero are very similar devices, actually.. same CPU, similar amounts of RAM, etc.

shyam101

Aug 20, 2010
Under Your Bed
I think the primary issue is using Sense. Since the Hero is a Sense device, so on top of getting 2.2 perfectly functioning, they have to modify Sense to be compatible as well, and that is just something they don't want to invest in.

Lol Samsung support their top-tier Galaxy line is not a good comparison against HTC and their low-mid range Hero. Samsung was responsible for one of the worst debacles in Android support history, promising 2.1 for Behold II users and then all of a sudden abandoning support after releasing 1.6. HTC is much more consistent, not to mention their build quality is the best in the industry.

Yes, the MyTouch 3G is made by HTC. MyTouch is just T-Mobile's branding, it is originally the HTC Sapphire or Magic. The MyTouch 3G and Hero are very similar devices, actually.. same CPU, similar amounts of RAM, etc.

But were talking about the htc hero on this fourm not the mytouch 3g =/

raymond4

Aug 9, 2010
millville new jersey
I know this topic started with the LG optimus S and the HTC hero. The only reason why I asked about the mytouch 3g was because my friend said they weren't similar and I just wanted to know. Sorry for adding the mytouch 3g into this topic.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

stayclean

Jul 13, 2010
I swear this might be my FIRST and LAST HTC phone I have ever bought.. I'd rather go with Samsung so far their doing great with their android galaxy series

The Galaxy-S series is their flagship more "high-end" series of phones, not to mention way newer, not really a fair thing to compare (they are doing great with not rolling out 2.2 updates for their new phones, that's for sure :p).

Also, why are you not blaming Sprint at least a little bit about this? They are the carrier, afterall. Hero could receive 2.2 if they wanted it to, I'm sure.

user7618

Jul 26, 2010
Indianapolis

The Samsung Moment, on par with the Hero with a little better hardware, isn't getting 2.2 so your argument for Sammy being better is invalid, sir. Also, the Legend is getting updated, and when it does, the devs will be all over it like a hobo on a Ham sandwich. Then the Hero will have sense 2.2. If that's your thing. I'm quite happy with my AOSP rom, though.

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo-on-Hero action here!

Reactions: kostov22

chromiumleaf

May 20, 2010
Austin, TX
I know this topic started with the LG optimus S and the HTC hero. The only reason why I asked about the mytouch 3g was because my friend said they weren't similar and I just wanted to know. Sorry for adding the mytouch 3g into this topic.

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

Googling phone specs, the Hero and the Optimus S are very similar hardware-wise. Not sure about the MT3G, I didn't search for that one...

But as c00ller mentioned above, the Optimus S isn't running SenseUI, hence why it already has Android 2.2. Developing a fully-working 2.2 SenseUI release takes HTC longer to work out. And I'm sure HTC wouldn't let Sprint release plain regular stock Android 2.2 (without SenseUI) for a Sense-based device, which is why the Hero doesn't have it even though it's already available on other similar phones.

shyam101

Aug 20, 2010
Under Your Bed
The Samsung Moment, on par with the Hero with a little better hardware, isn't getting 2.2 so your argument for Sammy being better is invalid, sir. Also, the Legend is getting updated, and when it does, the devs will be all over it like a hobo on a Ham sandwich. Then the Hero will have sense 2.2. If that's your thing. I'm quite happy with my AOSP rom, though.

Sorry meant alacy series

boiker

Apr 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The Samsung Moment, on par with the Hero with a little better hardware..

As a former moment owner, I agree the hardware is better, the processor is faster. but the radio lock-ups (total phone and data lock up only resolved by pulling the battery), poor gps, exceptionally bad batter life and other software/hardware integration failures were too much to handle. Stock or Custom Rom-- it didn't matter. 3D performance is abysmal on the Moment. You think angry birds is bad on the hero? Try 1 frame every 1-3 seconds on the Moment.

As bad as the problems with the phone were, when it worked it worked very nice. Working was interrupted by very significant bugs like the radio lock, which happened daily (heavy data user/exchange/streaming/etc).

I recently warranty swapped the moment over the hero and couldn't be happier

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
Also, why are you not blaming Sprint at least a little bit about this? They are the carrier, afterall. Hero could receive 2.2 if they wanted it to, I'm sure.

I have to agree with you, T-Mobile made the call in regards to their "No Phone Left Behind" policy. I assume that they must pay extra to get HTC to support "legacy" devices. Sprint on the other hand has decided to focus on their new phones. You'd think the support would last at least as long as the contract you sign with them. That would make most sense.

nick_danger

Feb 8, 2008
My wife upgraded from her MyTouch 3G (T-Mobile) to the Hero (Sprint), on which which I quickly rooted and installed CM6 Froyo. The Hero runs 2.2 beautifully, tethers with Barnacle (Hulu and Netflix on road trips!) but the fact is that it is noticeably slower in EVERYTHING compared to the LG Optimus S, especially games (comparisons done live in store).

They have similar CPUs on paper, but the Optimus S is definitely faster in practice. It's like comparing two laptops because they both have Intel CPUs. One is a Celeron, the other is a Core i5.

I'm getting mine on Black Friday at Best Buy for $1.00. :)

simon.ponder

May 12, 2010
Burlington
Optimus S has a dual core

The reason that the Optimus S performs better in practice is that it actually has a dual core processor 600 MHz application / 400 MHz modem processor. Look at LG's site. Click on the specifications tab.

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/LG-LS670-Purple.jsp

Oh yeah, mine arrived at my house yesterday, and is waiting for me to activate it when I get home. I am still keeping my hero for development purposes though.

aqualls

Nov 23, 2010
York, PA
Being a former moment owner, I think I'll stick with the other manufacturers for quite some time. My hero runs every bit as smooth as my moment and with no data lockups. Had to do battery pull 1-2 times a day, without wifi running at all (which was claimed to be the issues). Now I get every text including all my picture mail not just one every once in a while. Crap radio. Had an LG years ago. It was the original Chocolate with Verizon. Went through four in a year. Circuit board fried and they couldn't figure out why. Little leery about LG now too. Point is, I like the way my HTC runs so think I'll stick with them a while. H

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.