T-Mobile Blocking Wi-Fi Tether

Search This thread

davidbudd1

Mar 8, 2010
chicago
So it looks like T-Mobile is blocking wi-fi tether now. It was working perfect ever since I bought my S3, but today I turn on wifi tether and all is working then I get two text messages from T-mobile (see attached image). AS soon as I received the second message my tether stopped working. I am rooted running XquizIt v70 Rom, KT747 9-5 Kernel WiFi tether 3.2 beta 2. My computer I was tethering to is a MacBook Pro running Lion using google chrome browser.

This is just a heads up to you guys and if anyone knows a workaround let me know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-12-12-33-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-12-12-33-59.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 9,694
Reactions: chevyrida

davidbudd1

Mar 8, 2010
chicago
I know, it sucks. I'm curious to see if others are running into the same thing. I rarely use Wi-Fi tether but I like to have it just in case. Sometimes when I'm at starbucks their wifi is so slow.

babymatteo

Aug 30, 2011
SoCal
Try a different app like Barnacle wifi tether or FoxFi. I've heard of success stories (lol) using Foxfi on Stock Rooted OTA LH2.

davidbudd1

Mar 8, 2010
chicago
Yes, I'm on the new truly unlimited plan, but it has been working flawlessly for the past week, up until today. I will try some other apps and see if they work.

agtitan

Dec 26, 2010
I thought they couldn't detect if you were using the app if you were rooted using wifi tether for root? I was about to get the truly unlimited plan and use it to tether to my nexus and laptop.

Chicago281

Jun 27, 2012
how does being root have to do anything with data? do you know what root mean?

anyway op, use the tether wifi ap and use firefox not chrome. see if that work.

Yes I know what rooted means. However he could have updated and lost his root? Anything is a possibility. You don't need to come in here trolling like an asshole. Go play in traffic on your nearest freeway.

davidbudd1

Mar 8, 2010
chicago
Well, I downloaded firefox and everythinng is working on firefox. Interesting. I had even changed the user agent on chrome to android and it still didn't work on Chrome. Well I guess I will have to add firefox back into my mix of browsers.

andyjxda

Feb 19, 2011
Have you tried Chrome Canary? It's basically a cutting edge, development version of Chrome. Sounds like T-Mobile is blocking user agent string (which have nothing to do with wifi tether app).

Last edited:

deviusdragger

Aug 5, 2006
California
For some reason T-Mobile has been lenient about tethering , but now that these new plans are out, I'm pretty sure they will be releasing the tether blocking kraken!
Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009
For some reason T-Mobile has been lenient about tethering , but now that these new plans are out, I'm pretty sure they will be releasing the tether blocking kraken!

thats why i'm kiind of furious all these fools bragging how they tether 30-40 gigs a month...its just stupid.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Yes I know what rooted means. However he could have updated and lost his root? Anything is a possibility. You don't need to come in here trolling like an asshole. Go play in traffic on your nearest freeway.

trololololol

Reactions: joshnichols189

The Archangel

Sep 2, 2010
Virginia beach
thats why i'm kiind of furious all these fools bragging how they tether 30-40 gigs a month...its just stupid.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

trololololol

You might want to watch what you say around here, btw I edited your post.

I may not have the S3 but tethering works fine on my sensation running cm10 HD.

Reactions: vopezy

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
The new contract for unlimited data states that you can not share your network in any way including wifi hotspot and tethering, that's why I didn't change my account. Its also Mobile data and not true data and before anyone asks there is a difference and certain non mobile web access wont work. Its messed up and deceiving when your use too true web data access.

They offered me a separate package for tethering with a 6 month trial period (3 months with 20$ off my account and full price after the first 3) and I never use it but if your one of those people that need it I would ask about it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Holy crap! Is there anyway to do this without getting a degree just to understand all the jargon that's used? I swear there must be a video out there that shows you step by step on how to tether safely without hopefully getting caught. I mean there's millions of videos on the Harlem shake out within just the last week. There's gotta be a good one we can use to get our devices to tether without having to pay for the crap tethering plan. So ridiculous how they let you do it, realize they're not making extra money on it then just lock it up and force you to pay afterward. It's like being a damn Indian giver.

No need for a degree to go to Google play and install a few apps . Here's the instructions from my tether tread .

------------------------------------

Found a solution to tmobiles user agent sniffer .

**Must be rooted for this to work * *

Steps:

1. Get TrevE Mod tether app
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34037922
    (you will not get a internet connection using any other tether app while using the VPN app)

2. Get Hotspot Shield VPN
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...id.vpn&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd
    (was mentioned in earlier post but couldn't get it to work)

3. Start Hotspot Shield VPN and connect

4. Start TrevE Mod Tether app

Problems?

Hotspot Shield does not connect or you get error 1028?

Get Tun.Ko from market and install it
    Repeat step 3 and 4
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hZWQudHVuLmluc3RhbGxlciJd

Connected device does not receive internet?

In TrevE Mod tether app go to settings and select Device profile and select Generic ICS/JB wanl0 . Now select setup and select Netd-Ndc master . Check box that says send Nets Max client . Check box WiFi-Reloads driver 2 . Check Routing fix .You may need to change ssid too .

I am using Chrome with no user agent switcher and no longer get errors when trying to play youtube videos

Please hit the Thanks Button

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium
    How do you set up encrypted VPN ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+set+up+an+encrypted+vpn

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
    Instead of frivolous lawsuits the FTC needs to disfavor these charges it's the same network same data its our desecration how we use it we pay for it. Just a scam I say we boycott there bull

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Do you mean FCC?

I'm really on the fence about this. You're paying for mobile data on a cellular network so tethering and using it at home as your main connection doesn't seem right. I'm talking about the people who use 50-100GB, how much content can you consume JUST using your phone?. It also can hurt the cable companies by replacing them. The two services ARE different, or at least supposed to be.

I think that if people want unlimited AND tethering the should just pay the difference. I think hotspot is $10 a month? Compared to the other carriers you're still getting an amazing deal on tmo. And I want the FCC to stay out of it because if they get involved tmos prices will undoubtably be raised.

To me it's silly to say the FCC should get involved or that tmo is in the wrong when you aren't following the TOS you agreed to. Sure, I want more for less money too but that's not always how it works.

Just a quick note, why aren't people screaming about both cell lines being charged minutes when on a landline only one person pays for the call??
    Do you mean FCC?

I'm really on the fence about this. You're paying for mobile data on a cellular network so tethering and using it at home as your main connection doesn't seem right. I'm talking about the people who use 50-100GB, how much content can you consume JUST using your phone?. It also can hurt the cable companies by replacing them. The two services ARE different, or at least supposed to be.

I think that if people want unlimited AND tethering the should just pay the difference. I think hotspot is $10 a month? Compared to the other carriers you're still getting an amazing deal on tmo. And I want the FCC to stay out of it because if they get involved tmos prices will undoubtably be raised.

To me it's silly to say the FCC should get involved or that tmo is in the wrong when you aren't following the TOS you agreed to. Sure, I want more for less money too but that's not always how it works.

Just a quick note, why aren't people screaming about both cell lines being charged minutes when on a landline only one person pays for the call??

I have debate this so many times is not even funny this are smart phones,this phones are basically computers in miniature,in fact i use 10GB this month without tethering and i was taking it slow,i got back with T-mobile,and left sprint.

It doesn't matter if you get your connection by cable modem or phone you are paying for it,data is not free and is advertise as truly Unlimited without caps,even more when netflix and pandora are even use on the tv ad Netflix is not joke when it comes to streaming,either been on PC or cell phone it will consume heavy data period.

I try to tether and T-mobile send me a message telling me that if i want to tether is $15 extra,as fast as you read that message you see why T-mobile block tether the reason is money more money they don't care about data abuse they care that they don't get as much as they think they should.

I wish T-mobile was straight forward with their clients,and actually ad a plan that include everything all in one no hidden fee or caps,and charge what ever they believe is right,i would gladly pay $99 for unlimited data without caps and tether,but just say it so that people know what they get into.

In the end there is no way to abuse something that is sold to you as unlimited...

Sorry for bringing this thread to life again but i was trying to find something to tether,which is a feature of my phone not of T-mobile network.
    1,000GB

Finally hit 1,000GB (1TB) for this month!

2bwc5e.png

And I'm sure this is where some of you go "your the reason cellphone companies don't do this, your going to ruin it for all of us, you suck, your gay, etc"