[Q] Phone reboot upon starting Google Maps

Search This thread

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
I play around with my phone, testing roms, kernels and tweaks until google maps stop working on my phone. the last time it work was when i'm using Maclaw's CM11.

I decided to return to stock rom and recovery using odin and thats when the problem started. I followed the steps from here.

The phone reboot each time I start Google Maps. I tried going back to CM11 but the phone reboot each time I start Camera (previously it was working fine). (I may hare to try CM11 again to see if Google Maps working in CM11)

Then I try to revert back to Original Stock Rom With Kies following the steps here but the problem persist.

Any idea to solve this problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-13-15-39-57.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-13-15-39-57.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,220

DjWacko

Dec 31, 2011
Hasselt
I play around with my phone, testing roms, kernels and tweaks until google maps stop working on my phone. the last time it work was when i'm using Maclaw's CM11.

I decided to return to stock rom and recovery using odin and thats when the problem started. I followed the steps from here.

The phone reboot each time I start Google Maps. I tried going back to CM11 but the phone reboot each time I start Camera (previously it was working fine). (I may hare to try CM11 again to see if Google Maps working in CM11)

Then I try to revert back to Original Stock Rom With Kies following the steps here but the problem persist.

Hi,

Maybe a corrupted data partition.
Do a real format data + media in recovery.
After that, try again flashing :).

Greetz

Hopes it works

Reactions: Davian64

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
Hi,

Greetz

Hopes it works

Hi,

Is real format data + media in recovery means wipe data/factory reset in recovery? I believe i did that before flashing stock rom using stock recovery.

I had an idea just now and I try several apps from play store, compass apps and any apps that uses compass and each apps reboot my phone upon starting. Logically Google Maps also use compass. So this might be the problem but strangely i could use Waze with no problem at all.

If compass related app is the problem, how do i fix this?

Thank you

DjWacko

Dec 31, 2011
Hasselt

Hi,

Is real format data + media in recovery means wipe data/factory reset in recovery? I believe i did that before flashing stock rom using stock recovery.

I had an idea just now and I try several apps from play store, compass apps and any apps that uses compass and each apps reboot my phone upon starting. Logically Google Maps also use compass. So this might be the problem but strangely i could use Waze with no problem at all.

Thank you

Hi

real format isn't the same as wipe data/factory reset.

Real format = In recovery go to mounts and storage --> format real data and media :)

Strange that the compass isn't working. Try to uninstall non standaard compass apps from your Phone. And try google maps again.
Install app one by one, and see what app is causing the problem.

If not, it's recommend to do a full clean install again at your Phone.:)

Greetz

Reactions: Davian64

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
Hi

Real format = In recovery go to mounts and storage --> format real data and media :)

Strange that the compass isn't working. Try to uninstall non standaard compass apps from your Phone. And try google maps again.

Greetz

Thanks.

I will try and report later as I'm currently doing offline charging. I'm a newbie, do you mind telling me the steps for full clean install?

Thank you

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
Hi

Greetz

I did format real data and media. still not working. I also install Maclaw's CM10.1 using steps from here, Camera is working, unlike CM11 but Maps still not working.

I also tried several compass app. Result are the same. Non of the apps works and phone reboot as soon as the apps start.

Thank you

DjWacko

Dec 31, 2011
Hasselt
I did format real data and media. still not working. I also install Maclaw's CM10.1 using steps from here, Camera is working, unlike CM11 but Maps still not working.

I also tried several compass app. Result are the same. Non of the apps works and phone reboot as soon as the apps start.

Thank you

Mmm, really strange it doesn't work :(
I'm on carbon rom now for some testing. The only app with gps needed on this rom is Google earth.
I tested that app, and all is working fine here.

Maybe a dead gps at your Phone?

Greetz

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
Mmm, really strange it doesn't work :(
I'm on carbon rom now for some testing. The only app with gps needed on this rom is Google earth.
I tested that app, and all is working fine here.

Maybe a dead gps at your Phone?

Greetz

Yes, it is strange. How to know a dead gps? But Waze is working fine. I haven't try Carbon. Tried slimrom but same as CM. Maps on stock browser and chrome also working fine. Only Google Maps apps giving me reboot.

Last edited:

DjWacko

Dec 31, 2011
Hasselt
Yes, it is strange. How to know a dead gps? But Waze is working fine. I haven't try Carbon. Tried slimrom but same as CM.

Hi

I thought that GPS wasnt working on any app :)
Dead GPS = if you dont get a lock anymore and the phone isnt searching for signals.

Maybe you can try GPS locks software.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

This will help your GPS to update the location off the sateliets.
When app opened. Use the icon in the right below corner.
Tools --->> calibrate both option.

If its taking to long , use the third option in tools and download
After that calibrate again

Greetz

Last edited:

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
Hi

I thought that GPS wasnt working on any app :)
Dead GPS = if you dont get a lock anymore and the phone isnt searching for signals.

Maybe you can try GPS locks software.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

This will help your GPS to update the location off the sateliets.
When app opened. Use the icon in the right below corner.
Tools --->> calibrate both option.

If its taking to long , use the third option in tools and download
After that calibrate again

Greetz

This app also reboot my phone. I manage to get a glimpse of the error massage before the phone reboot. something like kernel panic and so on.

Summary of the problem.

1. Phone reboot automatically when using
  • Google Maps
  • Any compass apps
  • GPS status and toolbox

2. GPS is working when
  • using Google Maps thru stock browser and chrome
  • Waze

DjWacko

Dec 31, 2011
Hasselt

This app also reboot my phone. I manage to get a glimpse of the error massage before the phone reboot. something like kernel panic and so on.

Summary of the problem.

1. Phone reboot automatically when using
  • Google Maps
  • Any compass apps
  • GPS status and toolbox

2. GPS is working when
  • using Google Maps thru stock browser and chrome
  • Waze

If the problem is a kernel panic.
You might be do a real format again and reflash your rom.

How do you flash your roms?

Greetz

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
If the problem is a kernel panic.
You might be do a real format again and reflash your rom.

How do you flash your roms?

Greetz

I'm currently using stock rom with stock recovery. Flash it with odin with "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" options checked. Wipe data/factory reset. Wipe Dalvik. Device Status: Official.

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
I read about /boot partition. It says:

/boot

This is the partition that enables the phone to boot, as the name suggests. It includes the kernel and the ramdisk. Without this partition, the device will simply not be able to boot. Wiping this partition from recovery should only be done if absolutely required and once done, the device must NOT be rebooted before installing a new one, which can be done by installing a ROM that includes a /boot partition.

Since my problem related to kernel panic, I assume there are problem with kernel. Is it possible to format /boot from cwm recovery and then flash custom rom such as Carbon or CM from external SD or maybe internal SD? Is CM rom includes a /boot partition?

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
I tried many things today including flashing stock, custom rom, format, wipe and reset. Then I had this idea to check sensors available. I use Phone Tester (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mtorres.phonetester&hl=en) and Android Sensor Box (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.androidsensorbox&hl=en)

I also test *#0*# in the dialer. Select sensor, phone reboot.

The result are as follow:

1. GPS is working fine as per screenshot of Phone Tester
2. Orientation Sensor and Magnetic Sensor reboot the phone every time I click to test them.

Is there any fix or ways to disable these sensors? Please help

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-15-21-35-19.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-15-21-35-19.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_2014-02-15-21-33-38.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-15-21-33-38.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2014-02-15-21-51-15.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-15-21-51-15.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

DjWacko

Dec 31, 2011
Hasselt
I tried many things today including flashing stock, custom rom, format, wipe and reset. Then I had this idea to check sensors available. I use Phone Tester (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mtorres.phonetester&hl=en) and Android Sensor Box (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.androidsensorbox&hl=en)

I also test *#0*# in the dialer. Select sensor, phone reboot.

The result are as follow:

1. GPS is working fine as per screenshot of Phone Tester
2. Orientation Sensor and Magnetic Sensor reboot the phone every time I click to test them.

Is there any fix or ways to disable these sensors? Please help

Thank you

the problem is at your proximity sensor i think. Because the orientation & magnetic sensor keeps the Phone booting.

What cover case have you on your Phone? The Original? or a flip back cover?
Sometimes it could be a bad cover that blocks the sensors and keeping it crashing.

If you have a flip back cover. just try the sensors without it.

Let me now :)

Greetz :good:

Greetz

Last edited:

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
the problem is at your proximity sensor i think. Because the orientation & magnetic sensor keeps the Phone booting.

What cover case have you on your Phone? The Original? or a flip back cover?
Sometimes it could be a bad cover that blocks the sensors and keeping it crashing.

If you have a flip back cover. just try the sensors without it.

Let me now :)

Greetz :good:

Greetz

I use the original cover and I tested the proximity sensor with Android Sensor Box and it is working find. Max range is 5.0 cm.

Thank you

DjWacko

Dec 31, 2011
Hasselt
I read about /boot partition. It says:

/boot

This is the partition that enables the phone to boot, as the name suggests. It includes the kernel and the ramdisk. Without this partition, the device will simply not be able to boot. Wiping this partition from recovery should only be done if absolutely required and once done, the device must NOT be rebooted before installing a new one, which can be done by installing a ROM that includes a /boot partition.

Since my problem related to kernel panic, I assume there are problem with kernel. Is it possible to format /boot from cwm recovery and then flash custom rom such as Carbon or CM from external SD or maybe internal SD? Is CM rom includes a /boot partition?

You can do a boot partition format . But keep your Rom and recovery ready on your external sd card, when something go wrong.
If you have formatted boot, install recovery and rom. After that Reboot.

But the problem isn't the boot partition.
i think your sensors are faulty at your Phone.

Try to install stock rom on your Phone and go to the store with it. :)
Because it's not custom rom/ kernel / recovery related anymore.
Because the stock rom have the same issues right? :)

Davian64

Feb 13, 2014
You can do a boot partition format . But keep your Rom and recovery ready on your external sd card, when something go wrong.
If you have formatted boot, install recovery and rom. After that Reboot.

But the problem isn't the boot partition.
i think your sensors are faulty at your Phone.

Try to install stock rom on your Phone and go to the store with it. :)
Because it's not custom rom/ kernel / recovery related anymore.
Because the stock rom have the same issues right? :)

Yes, stock rom with device status official also having the same issue. The warranty period is over so nothing much to do now if the problem is faulty sensor. Thank you for your help. I guess this phone is going to be my play/tweak phone. :)

DjWacko

Dec 31, 2011
Hasselt
Yes, stock rom with device status official also having the same issue. The warranty period is over so nothing much to do now if the problem is faulty sensor. Thank you for your help. I guess this phone is going to be my play/tweak phone. :)

You can still go to the store and see what they are saying about the problem.
If it will cost you alot off money. Yep, then you can use it for a play Phone haha.

No thx.
Glad that i could help somebody.:cowboy::fingers-crossed:

Greetz

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Btw:

Here in Belgium is a sensor repair cost 50 euro's :). and it would take 30 minutes to repair.
Not so much right :d.

Greetz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi,

Greetz

Hopes it works

Hi,

Thank you

Hi

Greetz