Better RAM usage.

Search This thread

adi6262

May 16, 2011
If you are using CM or CM based custom ROM, you can add
ro.config.low_ram=true
to your build.prop to get better RAM usage.

Draw backs?
No transparent status bar and nav bar on home screen.

Does it makes a big difference ?
You tell me! Settings > apps> running shows a difference of 40-50mb less ram usage when running the same apps. Also, the running apps didn't get killed when switching between different apps.

Sent from my Moto G using xda app-developers app

BobbaLouie

Jun 23, 2012
Draw backs?

You tell me! Settings > apps> running shows a difference of 40-50mb less ram usage when running the same apps. Also, the running apps didn't get killed when switching between different apps.

This was the Killer feature of Kitkat in general. Many of us have older 512mb devices and this extends their usefulness for quite a while. On the Moto G however, why bother? I've never seen it even come close to getting into a low ram situation and I bought the phone because I was tired of skimping on ram for several years until now.

ricola1989

Oct 4, 2010
Must it be on CM, or can I add this to any ROM's build.prop that is running KitKat?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

adi6262

May 16, 2011
Yeah. All you need is root.

netizenn

Dec 14, 2012
Aveiro
Don't ask me why, but I added that value, and I ended get less free RAM with that value than now, that I just removed. With ro.config.low_ram=true the first boot I ended about 450/455MB Free RAM. Now that i removed that lines, I'm with 480MB RAM.

And I love the transparent bar :D

:silly:

lulibuli

Jan 20, 2011
I have installed CM11, and always have around 450-500Mb free. So why bother for extra 40Mb? :confused:

adi6262

May 16, 2011
I have installed CM11, and always have around 450-500Mb free. So why bother for extra 40Mb? :confused:

Not just extra 40 MB, I also noticed that it kills background apps less frequently. And I have many apps installed and usually have less than 300mb free RAM.

GodOfPsychos

Mar 15, 2014
Solingen
thanks for this build.prop entry. i will test and see what happens

Btw are there any other NEW build.prop tweaks that exist since Kitkat was released?
Because i already know the old ones and wanted to know if there are any new build.prop entries that came out after the newest android os.

Edit: It works on any Rom(stock,Gpe, etc). No transparent onscreen buttons and statusbar but thats ok for me

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are using CM or CM based custom ROM, you can add
    ro.config.low_ram=true
    to your build.prop to get better RAM usage.

Draw backs?

Unused RAM is wasted RAM, unless you really need it for something else. Google knows what they're doing.

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
    Must it be on CM, or can I add this to any ROM's build.prop that is running KitKat?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Can you add in build.prop easily