HD Dock Remote

Search This thread

ubergenius

Dec 6, 2011
I'm considering purchasing the HD Dock, mainly for the remote as well as the docking features as well. But my question is, is the remote only able to be used when in the dock, or can I use it whenever? Also, is it bluetooth or infrared?

Thanks guys!

unbesorgt

Jun 28, 2010
I'm considering purchasing the HD Dock, mainly for the remote as well as the docking features as well. But my question is, is the remote only able to be used when in the dock, or can I use it whenever? Also, is it bluetooth or infrared?

Thanks guys!

You must be docked to use the remote. I believe it's infrared.

Honestly, the remote is a nice bonus, but if it's really your main reason for buying the HD dock you will likely be disappointed. For one thing, it doesn't work with all apps -- the Netflix app, for instance, won't respond to it. It will work with Google Music, some video players, and you can use it to scroll inside a web browser. The volume/mute buttons can be useful. The buttons however can be kind of "sticky" and difficult to keep from over-pressing.

Having said that, I love my HD dock. I hardly use the remote though. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard attached via a USB dongle and I mainly use those to navigate, in both Webtop and Mirroring modes. I think you will find a wireless mouse works much better for most couch-surfing purposes vs. the remote. Logitech now makes a "couch mouse" which works great for me.

Last edited:

silversonic1

Apr 26, 2008
Grove, OK
It's a special RF remote. It works directly with the dock. It is rather short range too, likely because it uses a button cell battery. On the plus side, the dock enables USB host, allowing for use of flash drives, keyboards and mice.
I got mine for $55 on ebay. Keep in mind that it doesn't come with the hdmi cable(I know), but you can get one from amazon for like $5.
[Edit] It looks like I was wrong. It is IR. Just checked it with my camera app. Most camera sensors detect IR and translate it into white light.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

Last edited:

ghmerrill

Jan 29, 2011
can you hook up a USB screen, mouse and keyboard all to the dock, or does it only have two USB ports? Im going to try hooking it to a computer monitor tha I have.