[APP] Google Wallet (APK: 1.1-R57v5, Play Store: 1.1-R57v5) [09/03/2012]

Search This thread

thuynh022

Sep 4, 2010
I assume it works the same way but is everyone resetting the app even if you're just updating your current rom? Like when a new nightly comes out. I did just to be safe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Was curious if I had to reset the app if installing OTA updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rsavaiano

Aug 6, 2009
When nothing happens when you put your phone to pay pass machine its usually because terminal is not on try it at a mcdonald's

Sent from my GNex {GSM} T-Mobile

If it continues not to work, should I revert back to the .apk at the beginning of the thread?

Not sure if updating to the official app build is what is throwing it off.

thuynh022

Sep 4, 2010
I'd figure not. But then again I guess in theory thats kinda like doing a rom update too so maybe just answered my own question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Thanks. I'm going to reset just to be on the safe side. Better to do that then to lose the functionality forever.

innov8ion

May 6, 2008
I'm stuck at initializing now too after coming from stock 4.0.2 to AOKP build 29. I'm currently on build 31. I had no idea that you had to reset the app to prevent this. It should mentioned in the AOKP flashing instructions... Ugh. Still nothing to try for this right?
It's because you shouldn't have to. I've flashed multiple CM nightlies with no Google Wallet problems. Note: I just wipe Dalvik cache. AOKP flashers may need to wipe data because it's less of a stable ROM.

Wallet is just a novelty I'm tiring of as it's just not accepted many places. The point is to make a physical wallet unnecessary but it's far from that vision. The fact that there are even Secure Element issues further support that point.

Last edited:

spaceman860

Jan 11, 2012
Whenever you wipe data/factory reset you must reset Google wallet app before wiping

frenzy757

Nov 22, 2010
San Francisco
Help: Installed on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. When I put in my password and it is authorizing, it boots back to the home screen where I can "learn more" or "continue" then it goes again to the licensing agreement page, then back to the log in, then back to the home screen.

Any thoughts?

NyPlaya513

Dec 27, 2010
New York
Help: Installed on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. When I put in my password and it is authorizing, it boots back to the home screen where I can "learn more" or "continue" then it goes again to the licensing agreement page, then back to the log in, then back to the home screen.

Any thoughts?

it did that to me the other day when i flashed aokp 33, try rebooting the phone and then going back into wallet

lazaro17

Jan 10, 2009
Miami, FL
Anybody have any luck with the touch screen Coke vending machines? I tried about 4 times and it just kept telling me "CARD DECLINED"

Worked for me the other day on second try. First was on edge and it sent but didn't deduct my money. Second time on 3G worked perfect. Those machines are very cool btw.

NyPlaya513

Dec 27, 2010
New York
Worked for me the other day on second try. First was on edge and it sent but didn't deduct my money. Second time on 3G worked perfect. Those machines are very cool btw.

yea i will be honest, with little to no data it gets a bit sketchy and can scare you. it takes a bit to kick in and gave me a scare the other day when i bought something for my gf's bday in the downstairs macys as for some odd reason i had like no service down there but perfection on the 2nd and 3rd floors

xxprodigyxx11

Apr 24, 2010
Looks like the new sprint folks are getting a 50 buck bonus with a new wallet account. According to @Android twitter. Sucks Verizon can't even get basic support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
It's because you shouldn't have to. I've flashed multiple CM nightlies with no Google Wallet problems. Note: I just wipe Dalvik cache. AOKP flashers may need to wipe data because it's less of a stable ROM.
Wallet is just a novelty I'm tiring of as it's just not accepted many places. The point is to make a physical wallet unnecessary but it's far from that vision. The fact that there are even Secure Element issues further support that point.

You have to wipe data when moving major android versions or changing large portions of the framework etc. That's why AOKP reccomends data wipe with each flash. Regardless, I came from stock 4.0.2 to AOKP 4.0.4 which is why I had to wipe, you'd have to do the same flashing most any ROM at that point.

Google Wallet is accepted almost anywhere around here (Rochester, NY) because almost everybody has paypass terminals now. In fact it's rare that I CAN'T use wallet.

However now I can't use it all. I'm very surprised no one has figured out a way to fix this yet.

innov8ion

May 6, 2008
You have to wipe data when moving major android versions or changing large portions of the framework etc. That's why AOKP reccomends data wipe with each flash. Regardless, I came from stock 4.0.2 to AOKP 4.0.4 which is why I had to wipe, you'd have to do the same flashing most any ROM at that point.
Yes, I reset Google Wallet before wiping data when flashing from stock to CM9. It's just a bit of a hassle to have to do it when flashing nightlies which is why I'm running CM9 instead of AOKP.

Google Wallet is accepted almost anywhere around here (Rochester, NY) because almost everybody has paypass terminals now. In fact it's rare that I CAN'T use wallet.
PayPass penetration has probably only reached 5-10% of all POS systems nationwide. Eric Schmidt of Google suggested last June that 1 in 3 POS terminals would support NFC within a year but those numbers seem far off. Additionally, Wallet is only compatible with Citi credit cards and two or three phones. Wallet is dying, to be honest.

Google's only hope is that the NFC POS that Isis will use is compatible with Google Wallet. It's rolling out soon and hopefully it will hasten the penetration of NFC POS systems. Also, one wonders what Apple will do but they're usually late to the game.

However now I can't use it all. I'm very surprised no one has figured out a way to fix this yet.
For everyone's sake, I hope that Google can fix this in a future update. Good luck.

Last edited:

Invalid111

Apr 24, 2012
Download directly on Play Store

You can now download and install the Google Wallet directly from Play Store no hacks needed. I just downloaded onto my Galaxy Nexus few minutes ago :D

superbobup

Dec 25, 2009
You can now download and install the Google Wallet directly from Play Store no hacks needed. I just downloaded onto my Galaxy Nexus few minutes ago :D

Just tried it on T-Mobile and it works!
But I forgot to wipe my old Wallet after flashing a new ROM and am not getting the secure element error...
I think restoring a backup of Wallet from before the flash, wiping Wallet and redownloading will fix it. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: obviously that just restores the apk -_-'' time to restore a full backup and wipe wallet. Thanks for the how to in the OP :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Last edited:

Evangelion01

Dec 25, 2011
Additionally, Wallet is only compatible with Citi credit cards and two or three phones. Wallet is dying, to be honest.

That's the plain truth. Wallet is dying before it was even fully alive, and for one reason only -- Google's painfully slow rollout. It has been basically the same product for the past year, the only thing they've done is add support for the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint. No new banks. No new countries. It's sad.

When you evolve this slowly, especially when you have such a massive headstart on the competition, you absolutely deserve to die. I hope this isn't how Google will treat Android later on.

Reactions: innov8ion

lazaro17

Jan 10, 2009
Miami, FL
That's the plain truth. Wallet is dying before it was even fully alive, and for one reason only -- Google's painfully slow rollout. It has been basically the same product for the past year, the only thing they've done is add support for the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint. No new banks. No new countries. It's sad.

When you evolve this slowly, especially when you have such a massive headstart on the competition, you absolutely deserve to die. I hope this isn't how Google will treat Android later on.

I disagree...its just not something the general public cares for yet. Wait til competition stirs up ...everyone wants to get into the mobile payment game now...most of the big US carriers signed up with Isis. Visa has its own mobile payment too. I'm just now seeing all my local grocery stores and Walgreens/CVS incorporating paypass here in Miami. I doubt we will see many credit cards added to wallet due to the fact that everyone wants to set up their own mobile payment system but I'm fine just topping up my prepaid wallet card anyway. I wish it had widespread appeal so that I can just do away with my credit cards altogether and move towards prepaid only.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Wallet Prepaid Card Provisioning RE-ENABLED as of 09/03/2012!

Read me first!
    Please use the APK method below, or attempt to install Google Wallet from the Play Store/Shop - note that the old browser trick appears to not be working since the Google Play branding appeared.

Please star this Android issue to draw attention to it! Thanks!

MoDaCo Custom Patched APK Allows easy use with all devices

This allows easy use and I'm currently using this too!

See Paul's thread over at MoDaCo for more info: http://www.modaco.com/topic/354635-region-device-root-patched-google-wallet-apk-11-r63-v12/

Download the patched APK here - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 34d6d1afe316df8fca9d7aaad02431ce
    This APK must be installed by putting it inside /system/app and NOT by installing it manually.

Google Play Store (more up to date! recommended!)
    Google Wallet can be found on the Google Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel

chart

APK method
    Prerequisites
    You need:

General Instructions
    1. Pull down the notification bar and hit the settings icon next to the date. Then choose "About phone" at the bottom. If "Android version" is NOT listed as "4.0.2", "4.0.3" or "4.0.4", you need to update to a new version. Do that before continuing.

Now, what needs to happen next depends on where you are:
    I'm not in the US!
    If you're NOT in the US, you'll need to be rooted. Grab Market Enabler from the Android Market and install it.
    Run Market Enabler and set yourself as "US T-Mobile".
    Now follow the US instructions.

I'm in the US!
    Open the Wallet APK on your phone e.g. using ASTRO/File Expert/Root Explorer/the download manager.
    Now just open Wallet, and it should correctly authorise.

Troubleshooting
    Help! Google Wallet says "Unsupported Device!"
    This means that you're on a rooted device, and is perfectly normal. Transactions will still work - it's just Google's way of letting you know that you may be less secure than you would be normally, as rooted apps will be able to access Google Wallet internal files. Be vigilant when approving root access!

Secure Element not responding!
    If you have a Nandroid backup of a version of Wallet that worked, try restoring to that. Otherwise, you're screwed unless you get a new device. The Secure Element in your phone has now locked you out.

EDIT: research seems to show that Android is not actually enabling NFC-EE, which might be why it can't communicate with the SE. This needs further research.

To try to avoid this, before flashing a new ROM please, please, PLEASE: open Google Wallet. Open the Wallet Settings menu. Select "Reset Google Wallet" from within the app. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS SELECTING "CLEAR DATA" FROM WITHIN MANAGE APPS!
    The Google Wallet reset system will disable it's background services, reset the secure element by deleting the Google Wallet applet (which is what you want!), clear the database, ping C2DM that it is now deprovisioning, clear the shared preferences, clear files and cache, and finally shut itself down. Clearing data from Manage Apps will only delete the database and shared preferences: it will not deprovision, disable background services, and most importantly will not remove the Wallet applet from the secure element.

Insufficient Privileges. Insufficient secure element privileges for this system image (release-keys)
    Err, what? This should only occur if you previously used the ZIP method. If so, you'll need to manually restore the old versions of the files.
    This can be achieved by either restoring a Nandroid backup from before you flashed OR by following instructions in this post.

I have something not answered here!
    Post in this topic and it'll probably get answered pretty quickly.

I restored a backup and Wallet isn't working
    Try uninstalling then reinstalling the APK. This should get the SE back in sync with the Wallet status.

Changelog
    09/05/2012
    APK updated to 1.1-R57v5 from my device for those who still can't get it on the Store. Sorry for the slow update - it's exam season in the UK!

02/05/2012
    Added note about Google Play Store. I'll update the APK soon, but I recommend using the store - seems that Wallet is even appearing for me in the UK now.

09/03/2012
    Prepaid card provisioning is reenabled! Go use your Wallet again!
    Fixed links.
    Removed ZIP method entirely.
    Mentioned Market method, need to write up instructions.
    Added unsupported device banner note.

02/01/2012
    Added some information that should hopefully avoid people getting hit by the Secure Element issue, and a link to the AOSP issue tracker issue.

18/12/2011
    Removed old ZIP method. APK should work for most people.
    Rewrote OP from scratch.
    ICL53F 4.0.2 STANDARD APK works!

The standard Google APK works on ICL53F / 4.0.2

Just tested this ; NO FC's - No errors on provisioning card, etc.

This was pulled off by another user, I MD5'd it to the version I got from a Sprint Nexus S

MD5: 3729ced6fbee0c8c642fe074e893846f

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GQ6YS0KM

NOTE: I installed this on ICL53F CLEAN install with NO older Wallet ever present. I did NOT wipe or do anything else. So as long as Wallet was NEVER installed on your /system partition or you didn't replaced NFC files this should just work out of the box. If you ever did any of the above get a clean ICL53F installed FIRST (root or no root, doesn't matter) [mine was rooted but a friend got it working no root]
    Here ya go

There was an update today. Anyone got it so we VZW users can install?

I just installed it over the what was the last version on a VZW GNX - working perfectly.
    can someone upload the new apk?

Here you go :)

http://db.tt/2AAbl2Vz

Wallet PIN Vulnerability

I am finally able to disclose a major vulnerability I found in Google Wallet. Basically, I am able to uncover your PIN without a single invalid attempt.

Please see below for our press release, detailed blog posting, demonstration app and source code.

Feel free to ask me any questions or report any issues.

The app is also able to give you some useful information about the state of your secure element. This may be helpful for people with SE issues.

https://zvelo.com/news/press-releas...vers-google-wallet-pin-security-vulnerability
    https://zvelo.com/blog/entry/google-wallet-security-pin-exposure-vulnerability
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10770509/WalletCracker.apk
    https://github.com/rubixconsulting/WalletCracker