Gamestop Nexus 7...identical to Play Store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

MMcCraryNJ

Jul 19, 2010
Acworth, GA USA
Here's my question/situation...

I'm going to preorder the Nexus 7, however I think I'd rather go with Gamestop rather than the Play Store. They will give me 200 to trade in my Galaxy Tab 10 (having no luck selling it offhand), bringing it to around 50 bucks. To be honest, 200 isn't a bad trade in value for me. Plus I wouldn't have to pay for shipping

My only concern is that, do you think the firmware is going to be different since Gamestop usually "preloads" free games onto their Android tablets? Kind of like how the GSM Galaxy Nexus has a million different software variants?

Does anyone know how this is accomplished with the Android tablets that they already offer? Very concerned that the firmware/software won't be the same and will require separate OTAs handled by Asus/Gamestop.

Thanks

Lttlwing16

Mar 30, 2011
Here's my question/situation...

I'm going to preorder the Nexus 7, however I think I'd rather go with Gamestop rather than the Play Store. They will give me 200 to trade in my Galaxy Tab 10 (having no luck selling it offhand), bringing it to around 50 bucks. To be honest, 200 isn't a bad trade in value for me. Plus I wouldn't have to pay for shipping

My only concern is that, do you think the firmware is going to be different since Gamestop usually "preloads" free games onto their Android tablets? Kind of like how the GSM Galaxy Nexus has a million different software variants?

Does anyone know how this is accomplished with the Android tablets that they already offer? Very concerned that the firmware/software won't be the same and will require separate OTAs handled by Asus/Gamestop.

Thanks

In speaking to Gamestop, the N7 will come just as it would from play. GS is not tied to it apart from selling it (it wouldn't be a nexus if GS had a hand in what it shipped with).

I saw one user mention that they still got the 25$ play credit even though they ordered it through GS. Not sure if this is confirmed or not.. Will call google to find out.

EDIT: From Google Support, only devices purchased through Google Play will receive the 25$ content credit. I guess the other guy got duped.

Last edited:

neok44

May 19, 2009
Florida
I have a friend that works at Gamestop and she's been told by her supervisors that they will be getting the $25 credit and that you get it by activating the tablet with your google account.

now take that as you will because as above, google support is apparently saying something different.

but aside from the credit, the device will be exactly the same.

fmf.post

Dec 11, 2011
Somerville, NJ
They are giving the 25 credit

GS is giving the 25 credit.
They have a flyer on most stores.
25 credit and movie/book included.
No difference in regards to buying directly from google store.
Call and ask any GS store, they will tell you the same.

defnow

Dec 6, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Preorder mine yesterday at gamestop....manager told me "whatever Google play is offering with the Nexus 7 is what gamestop will be offering .....$25 credit/transformers movie...". I traded in a 4S and was surprised at the credit given to me. So I got the 16gb N7 and blackops 2. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

mr1ncred1ble

May 1, 2010
chiraq
Google Pixel 2
Razer Phone 2
Preordered mine today at gs. I am getting the $25 dollar play store credit and transformer movie, you can only get the 16GB version. I brought in about 8 games a Nintendo ds and my first gen psp and got $90 total store credit. They give you an extra 30% on your trades if you pre-order the nexus 7. Going back with two iPod nano's, they have a promotion going for those too up to $72 for the iPods depending on model. Estimating I'll spend about $100 out of pocket or less depending on what the iPods are worth. It's a good way to go if you have some games or technology to trade.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

MMcCraryNJ

Jul 19, 2010
Acworth, GA USA
Yeah, I just went unsuccessfully to Gamestop.

Yesterday and today, two separate Gamestops told me over the phone that my Galaxy Tab trade-in was going to be 195, since the regular value was 150 plus the extra 30 percent.

I get to the store and magically, just like that, there is a *glitch* (right) in the computer, and now the tablet is only worth 115, plus the 30 percent, bringing it to 150 total trade-in.

Classic bait and switch on Gamestop's part. The associate was actually very helpful, showing me on their computer that there are two separate trade-in values showing for the Tab. What Gamestop likely did was decrease all the trade values by 30 percent right before they added the "extra 30 percent" promotion.

I could settle with an almost 200 trade in, but 150 is a bit ridiculous. Gamestop just lost a purchase.

jtc276

Jul 9, 2011
Ripley, WV

Yesterday and today, two separate Gamestops told me over the phone that my Galaxy Tab trade-in was going to be 195, since the regular value was 150 plus the extra 30 percent.

I get to the store and magically, just like that, there is a *glitch* (right) in the computer, and now the tablet is only worth 115, plus the 30 percent, bringing it to 150 total trade-in.

Classic bait and switch on Gamestop's part. The associate was actually very helpful, showing me on their computer that there are two separate trade-in values showing for the Tab. What Gamestop likely did was decrease all the trade values by 30 percent right before they added the "extra 30 percent" promotion.

I could settle with an almost 200 trade in, but 150 is a bit ridiculous. Gamestop just lost a purchase.

No they didn't. The $150 trade-in was probably for it if it was in "Like New" condition. The $115 is probably in "Good" condition. I traded my iPod Touch 4th Gen 64gb for around $265 with the 30% added in "Like New" condition which was exactly like I had added it up on the internet.

Reactions: bill.allrobots.org

jtc276

Jul 9, 2011
Ripley, WV
Good chance Gamestop will be over-whelmed with tradeins...

I was the first customer who pre-ordered the Nexus at my GameStop and I pre-ordered it on Monday, I believe. The workers said that the surrounding stores had had one or two pre-orders at the most. I doubt they'll be overwhelmed. And this isn't really a good sign for Google. If they don't market this tablet no one is going to know about it.

MMcCraryNJ

Jul 19, 2010
Acworth, GA USA
No they didn't. The $150 trade-in was probably for it if it was in "Like New" condition. The $115 is probably in "Good" condition. I traded my iPod Touch 4th Gen 64gb for around $265 with the 30% added in "Like New" condition which was exactly like I had added it up on the internet.

I verified that they were adding it into the system as "Like New". So, yeah, they did.

rmm200

Apr 15, 2011
Bend
Gamestop is not in the habit of giving away money, so they will price tradeins for less than they thing they can resell them for.

If they think the market for small used electronic products has dropped after the Google announcement - they will adjust tradein prices down.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
one drawback to Gamestop prepossessing games, which I learned from my Prime which I purchased at Gamestop. Gamestop just sideloads apps onto your device. they aren't properly installed through Google play store. what does this mean? it means once there's an update for your game, the Google play store will show it installed but when you go to update, Google store will tell you it wasn't purchased. my Gamestop prime had Sonic CD, Shadowgun THD & other games pre loaded. once updates came for Sonic CD or Shadowgun THD, Google store told me it wasn't purchased. Although technically I did through Gamestop special of Gamestop primes being preloaded with games. Me n several other Gamestop prime owners had this issue and never found a solution.

I eneded up writing Madfinger, developers of Shadowgun THD. I told them my problem. the developer I was talking to was really cool and he emailed me the new updated version Of Shadowgun THD. the one with new levels n guns n all that.

so just a warning to soon to be nexus7 Gamestop owners. your preloaded(paid) games won't be able to be updated through play store. unless they properly do it. but doubt it since so many people that had Gamestop primes experienced same issue.

oh n I forgot, here's the really messed up part. at first I figured OK. ill just uninstall the game(Gamestop prepossessing apk) and purchase it from playstore so I can get proper updates. well once I uninstalled, I couldnt purchase it or I couldn't even redownload it from the market. that was the last straw and that's when I emailed the developer and told him my whole story. The developer looked out for me and emailed the apk. at first he sent me the regular version...lol. I had to write back saying I actually had a tegra3 device. so he sent me the latest tegra3 version.

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
There is already a sticky for discussing such matters, continue all further discussion there.

thread_closed.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.