UPDATE: WORKING 2013.11 Dock

Search This thread

devilsaces

Feb 19, 2013
New York
After returning 4 docks with a date of 2013.10 I finally received a dock with the date of 2013.11. Should I be happy or pissed that I didn't receive a dock dated 2013.12? I heard the November docks fixed the hinge problem but there might be a battery problem with this version. Can anyone confirm this or if there are other problems? I'm going to do extensive testing in the mean time. Thanks.

UPDATE LINK

Last edited:

devilsaces

Feb 19, 2013
New York
I'd be surprised if there were 2013.12 dock out there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Before ASUS starting denying that the 2013.09 and 2013.10 builds were defective, a few people claimed that ASUS confirmed those builds were defective and that the 2013.11 and 2013.12 builds fixed the problem. I haven't heard anyone receiving 2013.12 so i'm not sure they exist either.

But anyway, I fully charged the tablet and dock to 100% each and now I'm going to see if there are any problems as the battery drains. Interestingly it seems that both the tablet and dock are draining at the same time. Currently the tablet is at 96% and the dock is at 98%. I don't remember it doing that with the orginal dock. The charge light on the tablet used to be on as if the dock was charging the tablet. There are no lights currently on but it may be too soon for any conclusions.

david31262

May 14, 2008
So how is the dock connection to the tablet? Does it feel like there is less play? Any Disconnects? Where did you purchase it?
(Amazon just put the dock back on "Defect/Hold".)

Thanks for posting your results.

devilsaces

Feb 19, 2013
New York
So how is the dock connection to the tablet? Does it feel like there is less play? Any Disconnects? Where did you purchase it?
(Amazon just put the dock back on "Defect/Hold".)

Thanks for posting your results.

Yes the first thing I did was update the firmware. I bought the dock from Amazon. Here is my review on Amazon with everything I went through with returns: Review

The connection feels much tighter. I can't make it disconnect by adjusting the tablet angle. I inserted an SD card in the tablet for an easy test with disconnects because it prepares the card whenever you insert it or when it reconnects. The only time I notice the SD card re-preparing is when the tablet is in the closed position and then opened.

As for the battery issue: I jumped the gun when I said the tablet and dock depleted at the same time. The dock depleted to 98% then stopped. The tablet continued to deplete up to around 60% (ish) at that point the charging light went on the tablet and the dock started to charge the tablet. Tablet made it up to about 88% as the dock completely drained to point where I could not use it anymore. Disconnecting the dock and reconnecting it for some reason returned 7% but still continued to deplete.

This sounds like a software issue that a firmware update could fix. Someone else said that disconnecting and reconnecting the dock when the dock starts to charge the tablet will allow the tablet to drain further before the dock kicks in.

What needs to happen is the tablet needs to provide power to the keyboard when it is drained or the dock needs to stop charging the tablet when it is low on power, allowing the dock to still be usable.

david31262

May 14, 2008
Battery Issue: Wow step forward / step back. The dock is now just mostly useless (assuming it drains after the first few hours of use).

Thanks for the update.

I'm surprised the dock charges any differently between the older and the 2013.11 versions. Hopefully, they can fix this one in the firmware. It might be worth an E-Mail or call to Asus to see how they want to explain this one.

numinex

Jan 13, 2014
I have 2013.11 edition, I bought tablet from local shop (Czech Republic) 2 weeks ago. My dock have only one problem, in specific angel keyboard doesn't work.. so I have to "open it" more / less. (I will try to change keyboard) But other things seems OK :)

Sent from my K00C using XDA Premium HD app

devilsaces

Feb 19, 2013
New York
Battery Issue: Wow step forward / step back. The dock is now just mostly useless (assuming it drains after the first few hours of use).

Thanks for the update.

I'm surprised the dock charges any differently between the older and the 2013.11 versions. Hopefully, they can fix this one in the firmware. It might be worth an E-Mail or call to Asus to see how they want to explain this one.

I'm not 100% sure it did. Maybe since we had to always reconnect the dock with the 2013.10 version we never noticed it since undocking the tablet allows the tablet to drain a little further. Unless the dock/tablet was completely still I was never able to go a whole batter cycle with the old dock without it disconnecting.

I'll let someone else contact ASUS. I'm tired of their terrible customer service. Especially since they lied to me about the defective dock.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm not 100% sure it did. Maybe since we had to always reconnect the dock with the 2013.10 version we never noticed it since undocking the tablet allows the tablet to drain a little further. Unless the dock/tablet was completely still I was never able to go a whole batter cycle with the old dock without it disconnecting.

I'll let someone else contact ASUS. I'm tired of their terrible customer service. Especially since they lied to me about the defective dock.

I have filled in their customer service feedback with poor all over the ratings. Let's see if I hear back from them. I doubt it. I did laugh at their claim that they are aiming to become the best customer focussed company in the business :D

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I have filled in their customer service feedback with poor all over the ratings. Let's see if I hear back from them. I doubt it. I did laugh at their claim that they are aiming to become the best customer focussed company in the business :D

Well saying they're "aiming" does imply they're not even close yet, doesn't it? At least that's honest! LOL

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

devilsaces

Feb 19, 2013
New York
I might consider returning both the tablet and dock and get a Dell venue 11. I'm very disappointed in the build quality and customer support from Asus. I started noticing flickering on the screen and black boxes in Chrome as well. It hasn't been as bad as what some other users have experienced but it was enough to really piss me off.

Sent from my Droid DNA.

devilsaces

Feb 19, 2013
New York
Dock Works!!!!

OK very interesting update. The first time, when both dock and tablet were at 100%, the dock began to charge the tablet once it reached about 70%. Then when the dock was depleated, the keyboad did not work anymore. I also said when I undocked it and reconnected the keyboard had 7% left for some reason and continued to work. I just assumed it would stop working again as it drained. So I charged it all back up and ran the tablet for a little last night. Reached 70%, dock started charging the tablet and after the dock depleated to about 75%, I shut off the tablet for the night. I did not however plug it in. I noticed the dock was still charging the tablet so I assumed he dock would be dead the next morning. I didn't turn on the tablet untill now, (doing a ton of research at work on the dell venue.) I turned on the tablet and noticed the dock was at 0% BUT it is still working. I'm typing all of this right now using the dock and its at 0%. I don't know why it stoped working when it reached 0 yesterday but this is great news.

My new experiment will be to start all over again at 100%,, let the dock deplete, see if it stops working again and if it does, undock and redock to see if it continues to work. If not maybe just a reset will let it work again at 0%. If this is the case then I would consider the tablet not defective with the 2013.11 batch. The black squares I only noticed once in Chrome. I'm going to monitor the flickering. These issues have nothing to do with the dock.

MSIOCGenie

Jan 11, 2013
I've got the flickering and black boxes in chrome on both my S4 and HTC One, so I don't think that issue is the transformers fault.

Reactions: pelago

devilsaces

Feb 19, 2013
New York
Chrome sucks on my Nexus 5 as well. It's an all round bad browser on Android. Shame.

I've got the flickering and black boxes in chrome on both my S4 and HTC One, so I don't think that issue is the transformers fault.

Yeah it is a shame. I like the fact that the bookmarks sycs across all my devices, Home, work, phone, tablet. But it does seem a little buggy on my tablets. I'm glad those issues are not specific to the TF701.

Unless I find any other major problem between now and the end of the month, I guess i'm not going to return this unit for a different tablet. I'll finally be able to root this sucker and install your ROM sbdags. BTW, thanks for that. This is the longest I had an android device, since my first android phone, that I didn't root. Didn't want to mess with anything in case I had to return it.

pelago

Oct 12, 2012
Samsung Galaxy A54 5G
So it is confirmed, if the dock stops working after its battery is depleted all you have to do is undock it once and reconnect and it should continue to work.

Thanks for the update. It doesn't seem quite right though - when the dock battery depletes you should still be able to type without undocking/redocking, in my mind at least. Can owners of previous Transformers (TF101, TF300, TF700) confirm how their docks behave when the dock battery depletes?

mikesull

Aug 21, 2010
Doesn't the dock need power to run?

Thanks for the update. It doesn't seem quite right though - when the dock battery depletes you should still be able to type without undocking/redocking, in my mind at least. Can owners of previous Transformers (TF101, TF300, TF700) confirm how their docks behave when the dock battery depletes?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So it is confirmed, if the dock stops working after its battery is depleted all you have to do is undock it once and reconnect and it should continue to work.

Well sure, but it would/should get that from the tablet. Think of external wired keyboards and mice on PCs - they get power from the host device, they don't contain batteries.

On every tablet in the Transformer series you could use the dock with the battery at 0.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
    Just got my 4th dock from NCIX. Person said it's a new batch but the date still says 2013.10. However, I was thinking maybe it's the batch that the store RMAed to ASUS and they fixed the problems and send it back.

So far the dock is definitely performing better in terms of connection, I have to try real hard to make it disconnect, meaning everyday use and even using on buses, etc. will not have problems with disconnection. I was also able to do the firmware update for the dock smoothly. Hope it stays this way... I have 30 days anyway. Never thought a keyboard dock would stress me out so much, the TF201 dock works perfect right out of the box.

But it must not disconnect in any way when docked!!
    I tried everything on my Tf700 to get it disconnected but it always kept connected, sideways, upside down, waving held only by the dock.
    Only instance it lost connection is when I undock it LOL
    So I wouldn't except any disconnection at all.
    Just my 2C

Sent from my Asus Infinity TF700 with Dock
    try this mod

If anyone with a disconnecting dock doesn't mind helping me test a possible fix for the disconnection issue, I may be able to help. anyone with disconnecting dock, take your dock for the tf701 and check for play of the dock to tablet connector on the dock (forward and backward, just nudge LIGHTLY with a small screwdriver). If the connector has some wiggle, maybe a millimeter or so, try it with the tablet, you will probably not have any disconnection issue. If there is no wiggle, loosen the two screws that hold the dock connector down in 1/8th turn increments equally until there is some wiggle, then try with your dock. If that works, let me know and we can continue monitoring the function of our docks to ensure that the issue is fixed and that no other related problems arise. I believe I may be on to something with this and would very much appreciate the additional test case.

I had a dock with the disconnect issue and for fear of damaging the tablet connector, set the dock to the side and requested a replacement. I tried this fix on that dock and it worked, disconnect issue resolved. unfortunately I had already requested my return so I used it a day or two (rigorously) and had no issues, but went ahead and sent it back. would have been nice to hold on to the working dock, but in the name of progress, I decided to go forward with sending it back, and if the next one I get has the same issue, I will use it as another test case to back up a potential fix for this issue.