Official Support My Moto Campaign Thread

Search This thread

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
As of November 9th, 2012, Motorola is still selling the Electrify and Photon as CURRENT phones. Nowhere in their "store" section is it mentioned that both phones are discontinued and will not receive any updates or patches.

ROUND 3:
THE ICS LEAK AND THE THEAD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM XDA AS WELL AS POSTS MADE BY epinter FOR THE PAST COUPLE DAYS!

The official reason as to why this happened

FBI warns users of mobile malware (Google states Jelly Bean has protection that older versions of Android does not)
Cnet Article: FBI warns users of mobile malware

Support My Moto Campaign has been specifically mentioned in latest Cnet article.

A big thanks goes out to Casey Newton and Roger Cheng for mentioning us here at Support My Moto!

Over fourty articles covering Motorola's removal of the ICS update and over ten articles that mention the campaigns

This is the Official Support My Moto Campaign Thread

Support My Moto! at supportmymoto.com​
A unified campaign backed by developers and you requesting Ice Cream Sandwich & Jellybean updates, source code, and unlocked bootloaders for the owners of Atrix MB860, Atrix MB861, Atrix ME860, Electrify MB853 ,Photon MB855, DROID X2, MB870, XT882, MT870

The main goals of the campaign is to have a unified front in submission of requests for Ice Cream Sandwich & Jellybean updates, source code, and unlocked bootloaders for the owners of all phones on covered by Motorola's $100 Tradeup Program.

What we would like to happen;
Unlock would make JB ROMs available to anybody that wants it.
Updating would cover more moto owners and thereby minimize the impact to Moto's profits and public image.
A clean plan of how the $100 credit is to work as "We're looking into it" type statements are very damaging.

The reason we ask these things is that it gives Motorola room to work with. Once/if Motorola decides to open up a line of communication then specifics could be discussed. Ideally unlock and an update would cover almost all Moto owners. Either way, both solutions would be of benefit to Moto. Even though I'm fronting the campaign I would like to see as many people walk away from it happy, or at least not want to attack each other.

This is achieved by filing Better Business Bureau Complaints, FTC Complaints, emailing The Consumerist and signing the petitions. These things and more can be achieved at the

If your company or employer has decided to remove Motorola from the approved supplier list for cell phones, please contact us. We would love to hear from you.

Please remember to submit Support My Moto to the news sites and tech blogs for coverage.
If you are a developer and would like to sign on, post "Count me in!" and I will add you to the list on the website and here as well.

SIGNATURE PIC TO SHOW SUPPORT IS ATTACHED TO THIS POST

Last edited:

hoslayer13

Mar 21, 2011
Mulberry, Fl
I just sent an email to Consumer Reports and it went like this:
CR did a review on not too long ago and gave high marks to the smartphone known as the Motorola Photon 4G. While I think that your review is fairly accurate, one thing you should mention to fellow consumers is Motorola's unfair business practice. Quite simply, Motorola posted an update schedule for upgrading the Android OS. The schedule stated for a period of a few months that this and a few other of their smartphones would receive an update to Android 4.0.4, also known as Ice Cream Sandwich. Currently, the only update it has been given is a maintenance release that only fixed a handful of issues and one that effectively locked the bootloader. In laymens terms, they closed the possibility for developers to enhance the devices longevity and usefulness. They effectively killed the open source nature of Android and its promise for software update support for the next 18 months, all of which were major selling points for most of their phones. In essence, they have effectively lied to consumers about the way they handle business and I would like for this to be brought to light, so that others may know just what they are getting into when dealing with Motorola Mobility and its affiliates. It is just very frustrating to have such a high-end device (that I worked hard to have) be left in the dark and abandoned by a company that I thought to be one of the leaders of the communications and development industry.

It could have been better but it's very late down here. Anyway, before I hit the sack, I just voted for this to be submitted to the xda portal and for all others reading, I urge you all to do the same!

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium
supportmymoto.com
banner.jpg

supportmymoto.com

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
I just offloaded my Droid Bionic and Atrix 4G yesterday because of Motorola's craptastic backtreading on the ICS issues (and yes I realize the Bionic probably will get ICS, doesn't matter now). While I wish you folks the very best, I can pretty much promise you that even if every Motorola device owner called them tomorrow or contacted Motorola in some manner and said "To hell with you..." it wouldn't change anything at all.

But, good luck just the same...

hoslayer13:

That was a very well written submission to Consumer Reports, kudos.

d_brimer

Mar 31, 2009
kfar saba
www.xda-developers.com
your doing a great job

BUT i highly doubt that MOTO will actually care about some petitions they will ignore it untill all of the users just give up :crying:

but if we all PING the MOTO site together maybe we can crash it a couple of times every week :laugh: and cause them a minor headache !!!!

all in all a truly hope that we will be surprised by them and somehow get the source codes for our developers !!!

have a nice day all :cowboy:

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
We just got zacthespack of "Linux on Android" fame on board!

(and no I haven't go to sleep yet even though it's 3:23AM local)

Pocketnow
Androidcentral news
Androidcentral Photon forum I could post the same thread in the Atrix and Sunfire sections, but the moderators might think I'm spamming.

Contact the mods at AC and let them know what the deal is. They should be ok with it.

BUT i highly doubt that MOTO will actually care about some petitions they will ignore it untill all of the users just give up :crying:

but if we all PING the MOTO site together maybe we can crash it a couple of times every week :laugh: and cause them a minor headache !!!!

all in all a truly hope that we will be surprised by them and somehow get the source codes for our developers !!!

have a nice day all :cowboy:

Yes and no. We may personally not get what we want however seeing that there are over 400 new site and blogs covering the update BS the losses that moto will most likely see are not going to be small. That doesn't even figure in the possible losses from existing moto owners. You also have to keep in mind that folks in California have a couple things they can do as well (wink, wink).

Lugaidster

Sep 28, 2011
You should have an official message to post on tweeter, +google and facebook, and the tag shouldn't be #motofail. This isn't a motofail campaign, it is supportmymoto... The tag should be that so that it doesn't get confused with anything else. If it is going to be a real campaign it has to be organized and it has to give that image as well. Just a bunch of angry nerds yelling fail isn't going to get their attention. Just sayin'.

Cheers.

PS: Good on 'ya for creating the site so fast.

Last edited:

ppero196

Apr 14, 2012
Up north!
Guys...good job.

Idiotic Moto won't update MB526 or MB525 to ICS or JB, even if their hardware can do the job easily.

Sent from my house via interwebs to You!

Last edited:

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
You should have an official message to post on tweeter, +google and facebook, and the tag shouldn't be #motofail. This isn't a motofail campaign, it is supportmymoto... The tag should be that so that it doesn't get confused with anything else. If it is going to be a real campaign it has to be organized and it has to give that image as well. Just a bunch of angry nerds yelling fail isn't going to get their attention. Just sayin'.

Cheers.

PS: Good on 'ya for creating the site so fast.

Actually if you share via the campaign site it adds the supportmymoto. The motofail and other tags that others used provide a way for supportmymoto folks to locate posts to spread word.

Also once the current tiny petitions fill up I will start a massive petition to cover all the bases.

GPhoenix

May 10, 2010
I just sent an email to Consumer Reports and it went like this:
It could have been better but it's very late down here. Anyway, before I hit the sack, I just voted for this to be submitted to the xda portal and for all others reading, I urge you all to do the same!

Nicely done!

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

As requested, I am copying and pasting the post from jbot81's thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1918696 here:

So far, Motorola's best response to us betrayed Photon owners was that they would buy our devices back for $100. After my initial excitement of Motorola's unending generosity died down, I realized that $100 isn't so generous after all.

-- Sprint will give you $63 for your phone.
-- Samsung will give you $75 for your phone. samsungupgrade.com
-- HTC will give you $75 for your phone. htctradeup.com
-- As of 10/2 used Photons are selling on ebay in good condition for more than $100 (search past listings for Photon 4G)

Essentially, excluding what you can get if you go to the trouble of selling your Photon on ebay, Motorola is giving us an extra $25, since they are requiring us to send in a device that does have some value elsewhere. Is $25 enough for you to stay a Motorola customer? That is certainly up to you. But you should at least be aware that other major phone manufacturers are not far off, and may very well provide better support.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoslayer13

GPhoenix

May 10, 2010
How to File a Formal Request to Motorola

Hello All - I have created a how to post for submitting a formal request to Motorola via their External Ideas Submissiong program. Please check it out here and submit your request to make this a reality to receive unlocked bootloaders. XDA How To File a Formal Request to Motorola Thread

Also, don't forget to go sign the online petition if you haven't done so we are at 12,200+ and still need about 2,700+ signatures. [here]

upndwn4par

Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
Are you planning on putting a hit counter on the page?

Might be a good attention grabber.

Edit:
To anyone adding the supportmymoto.com banner to your signature, it would be helpful to link it to the site.

Last edited:

Lokifish Marz

Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
I have requested an Indian Technology News website tech2.in.com to cover this news. Got a reply that they will cover this.

More good news

like I mentioned earlier. I can't find the source code petition anymore. could somebody link me

I got a couple hours sleep and am back at it. Let me get some coffee and I'll go through the ton of PM's I have received.

edit;
also have a couple of devs to add to the supported list. and alos need to ipdate to "been hit" list

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of November 9th, 2012, Motorola is still selling the Electrify and Photon as CURRENT phones. Nowhere in their "store" section is it mentioned that both phones are discontinued and will not receive any updates or patches.

ROUND 3:
    THE ICS LEAK AND THE THEAD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM XDA AS WELL AS POSTS MADE BY epinter FOR THE PAST COUPLE DAYS!

The official reason as to why this happened

FBI warns users of mobile malware (Google states Jelly Bean has protection that older versions of Android does not)
    Cnet Article: FBI warns users of mobile malware

Support My Moto Campaign has been specifically mentioned in latest Cnet article.

A big thanks goes out to Casey Newton and Roger Cheng for mentioning us here at Support My Moto!

Over fourty articles covering Motorola's removal of the ICS update and over ten articles that mention the campaigns

This is the Official Support My Moto Campaign Thread

Support My Moto! at supportmymoto.com​
    A unified campaign backed by developers and you requesting Ice Cream Sandwich & Jellybean updates, source code, and unlocked bootloaders for the owners of Atrix MB860, Atrix MB861, Atrix ME860, Electrify MB853 ,Photon MB855, DROID X2, MB870, XT882, MT870

The main goals of the campaign is to have a unified front in submission of requests for Ice Cream Sandwich & Jellybean updates, source code, and unlocked bootloaders for the owners of all phones on covered by Motorola's $100 Tradeup Program.

What we would like to happen;
    Unlock would make JB ROMs available to anybody that wants it.
    Updating would cover more moto owners and thereby minimize the impact to Moto's profits and public image.
    A clean plan of how the $100 credit is to work as "We're looking into it" type statements are very damaging.

The reason we ask these things is that it gives Motorola room to work with. Once/if Motorola decides to open up a line of communication then specifics could be discussed. Ideally unlock and an update would cover almost all Moto owners. Either way, both solutions would be of benefit to Moto. Even though I'm fronting the campaign I would like to see as many people walk away from it happy, or at least not want to attack each other.

This is achieved by filing Better Business Bureau Complaints, FTC Complaints, emailing The Consumerist and signing the petitions. These things and more can be achieved at the

If your company or employer has decided to remove Motorola from the approved supplier list for cell phones, please contact us. We would love to hear from you.

Please remember to submit Support My Moto to the news sites and tech blogs for coverage.
    If you are a developer and would like to sign on, post "Count me in!" and I will add you to the list on the website and here as well.

SIGNATURE PIC TO SHOW SUPPORT IS ATTACHED TO THIS POST
    I'm behind you guys, Atrix, Photon, or Electrify, 110%. I have an Electrify, my wife has an Electrify, and my brother has a Photon. My brother got OTA updated to 2.3.5 and cannot unlock. My wife got shipped 2.3.5 and can, but doesn't care to. She hasn't even changed the launcher. I got my best battery life thanks to jokersax11 and Th3Bill on Paranoid Android 1.1. I got 18-20 hours. My wife barely gets 8 hours if she's lucky. She checks Facebook and Craigslist, and calls me on breaks. And sometimes listens to Pandora. I'm overclocked. I play games, watch HD video, and do the same stuff she does (minus Craigslist). And I get double the battery life? And Motorola says ICS performs below expectations? Then what, in the bloody hell, do they say about Gingerbread?

Anyway, I first wrote the BBB (for what little good it will do, I understand how they operate):

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's Online Complaint System.
    Your complaint has been assigned case # ############.
    Correspondence regarding this complaint will be emailed to [my name]@gmail.com
    Please print a copy of this for your records.

Filed on : October 4 2012

Filed by :
    [my name]
    [my name]@gmail.com
    [my city/state/zip]

Filed against :
    Motorola, Inc.

Complaint Description:
    I bought a Motorola Electrify from US Cellular in February, 2012 (as did my wife). We chose it over a competing product, the HTC Hero S, because it was US Cellular's most powerful phone, and we were led to believe that it (actually both phones) would definitely be upgraded to Android 4 (ICS) in the near future. The HTC device, despitre being a weaker phone, was upgraded over the summer. Motorola said the Electrify and Photon (the same phone on Sprint)) would be upgraded in Q3 2012. At the end of Q3 2012, they said Q4. Last week, they changed their minds and said the phone would not be upgraded. They also sent out an over-the-air (OTA) update that prevented the phone from having its bootloader unlocked. I had performed the procedure, and am now running ICS. My wife is still running Gingerbread; she hasn't changed a thing actually. Motorola says their phone cannot adequately support ICS. I say this is a flat-out lie. My phone typically gets twice the battery life my wife's does. I enjoy more features. The only catch is, because it's unofficial, the camera doesn't work. (I can flash back to a Gingerbread ROM for camera functionality; the hardware is not damaged.)

Your Desired Resolution:
    Ultimately I want Motorola to support their phones! I actually understand their position -- they want to load ICS down with malware to track the customer, in the name of customer service. I even concede that this is beneficial to 90% of their customers. I want three things, the first being that Android 4 (ICS) be made available as a choice. If it has to be ICS from AOSP (Android Open Source Project, the software repository they base their operating system on), so be it. But again I know this is unlikely. Second, offer a bootloader unlock to those who want it, via Motorola.com. Those who don't explicitly want it need never know about it. They can even void the warranty; we've seen how they service their customers and we don't want that. Third, release the source code for the drivers so that volunteer developers like Jokersax11 and Th3Bill can build us a version of Ice Cream Sandwich and even its successor, Jelly Bean, without issues. Again, some of us already have this, and it outperforms the operating system that comes with the phone in every area except camera.​

I then started an FTC complaint, but I decided it was the wrong venue for our case. I went on to email Mr. Casey Newton of C|Net:

Mr. Newton, thank you for asking for Motorola users to share their thoughts regarding Motorola's refusal to upgrade their 2011 flagship devices. If I've been misinformed or you've heard all you need, please disregard this correspondence with my apologies. If not, read on. I'm known for writing at length, but I will try to keep it short and to the point.

A short bit about myself with regard to tech and Motorola. My father was an engineer, so I've literally been using computers my whole life (I was born in 1979). Atari (computers), Commodore-Amiga, Apple, IBM, IBM-compatible, and the last few PCs which I've built myself. I'm not specifically loyal to anyone (Mac or PC, Android or iPhone, etc.). I use what works for me. I'm a gamer, so Windows it is. I like to tinker, so Android it is. The others are fine for those they're targeted to. I'm on my third Motorola phone, and I prefer them for their high standards of hardware quality, their battery life, and their signal strength. My first cell phone was a Motorola v120. My fourth phone was a Motorola ROKR slider. My second and third were not Motorola either because they weren't an option, or to save money (which led to regret). My fifth cell phone and first smartphone was a Samsung, but only because I got the very first Android device my carrier, US Cellular offered. It was junk. Look up the Samsung Acclaim and have a laugh. 160MB RAM. What a joke. So for my second smartphone, I wanted the best. I got my carrier's best phone. The Motorola Electrify boasted a 1GHz dual-core processor powered by nVidia (I guess it's NVIDIA now), 1GB of RAM, and a 4.3" screen. It was between that and an HTC Hero S, which had a single-core 1.2GHz processor, 768MB RAM, and a 4" screen. I think I made the right choice, and since my wife doesn't know much about tech, she just got what I got.

I won't lie -- the Electrify is an amazing little device. It's more powerful than my first five computers (not including family computers -- I personally had two Amigas, an IBM PS/2, a Pentium 200MHz, a Celeron 600MHz, and a Pentium 3 1.2GHz, but only with 512MB RAM). I realize comparing mobiles to desktops is like apples and oranges, but the thing was, and is impressive. US Cellular assured us that both the Electrify and the Hero S would be upgraded to ICS for sure, because they're both these amazingly powerful smartphones.

I rooted mine shortly after I got it, and began to make the most of Gingerbread, which I had never used before. Three months later, I unlocked the bootloader and installed Ice Cream Sandwich via CyanogenMod 9. My wife was unimpressed and did not want her phone unlocked, or even rooted. She didn't even change the launcher. It's much more computer than she needs, so she has no reason to change. Plus, the loss of the camera due to the CM9 developer not having access to Motorola's source code sealed it for her. She loves the camera on her phone and considers it a vital part of the device. Two months after that, I was running Jelly Bean, a day shy of a month after Google announced it, and before the update rolled out to one or more of the Nexus phones (Verizon's, I believe). I go back and forth and even ran Gingerbread (CyanogenMod 7) for a while. I've even gone back to the stock ROM, updated everything, set it up nicely, and double checked the battery life. Because I've left out an important part of this story: On ICS, the battery life is more than doubled.

Let me qualify that last statement a bit. CyanogenMod 9 (and 10) come with a custom kernel that overclocks the CPU to 1.3GHz. This is done by providing extra power to the CPU to make it run faster. This should cost me precious battery life. I'm also running Android 4, which consumes more system resources than Android 2. However, running Paranoid Android 1.1 (which also puts the phone into a kind of weird hybrid tablet mode that should be even more demanding), I can get 18-20 hours on a single charge. My wife is lucky to get through an 8-hour shift without her battery dying on her. On Jelly Bean, I've gotten up to 12 hours, and that's getting down to the low battery warning at 15%, not dying at 2-4%. So, in short, not only does ICS run on our phones, it runs better than Gingerbread did. And the reason Motorola is giving is that ICS does not perform to standards. Well, if ICS is below their standards, where does Gingerbread stand? Yet that is what they are sticking people with? That does not compute. They are also locking the bootloaders down tight, which has no effect on people like my wife (for her it's just a waste of time, it adds no new features) but prevents people like me (had I not already unlocked) from getting the most out of my phone. And that is really what bothers me. This device is capable of so much more than Motorola is allowing.

Motorola's amnesty program is a joke. If you give them your phone, they will give you a $100 rebate on one of their new Verizon-exclusive phones. That right there is a problem because Verizon does not offer cell service where I live. But even if they did, I have a good phone. I can probably flip it for at least $150 on eBay or Craigslist. The Samsung Mesmerize, an older and far lesser powered phone, has been flipped for $180. I would be offering a steal at $150 for mine. Plus it has a $50 case, the Otterbox Defender, on it. Take half of that, add it, $175, great deal for a contract-free phone, and I can offer it with CyanogenMod 7, 9, or 10, or the stock ROM. And then I can put that toward a Samsung or HTC phone. Speaking of HTC, that weaker HTC phone I decided against? It got ICS back in the summer.

All in all, I feel like Motorola is abandoning their loyal fans and customers by trying to push them to Verizon and their latest phone. But if I switch to Verizon, get locked into a 2-year contract, and can't use my phone at home, is Motorola going to support that phone? I strongly suspect not. They aren't supporting the phone that is otherwise perfect for me. I see these new phones as a lesser upgrade, as opposed to something like the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. In fact, when I'm due up for an upgrade next August, I'm leaning toward the successor to the Note 2. (Note 3?)

Well, I guess I didn't keep this very short, but I don't think I strayed too far from the point. If you've read this, thank you. If you can use it somehow, thank you again. And thank you a third time for listening to us.​

I've also joined the MotoFail group on Facebook, and filled out a complaint
    Wahoo! Awesome, we just got an update/follow-up by Casey Newton and John Chang with CNET covering our latest initiative and responses from the community. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57526994-94/android-users-outraged-over-motorolas-broken-promise/

Check out the article and share/repost/tweet, etc. :cyclops: