Amazon App Store: Plex for Android $0.99US or $1.09CDN

Search This thread

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I wasn't sure where I should put this, but since it's a great program for Android/Chromecast I figured here would be a good place.

If you have the Amazon App store you can get Plex for $0.99US or $1.09CDN depending on which store you use. For those of you who don't have it yet, it's basically a steal at this price. You should definitely jump on it!

Helps solve a lot of the local casting issues without a bunch of workarounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Plex-Inc-for-Android/dp/B004Y1WCDE/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1396499599&sr=1-1&keywords=plex

http://www.amazon.ca/Plex-Inc-for-Android/dp/B004Y1WCDE/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1396499599&sr=1-1&keywords=plex

Last edited:

siratfus

Dec 28, 2011
I wasn't sure where I should put this, but since it's a great program for Android/Chromecast I figured here would be a good place.

If you have the Amazon App store you can get Plex for $0.99US or $1.09CDN depending on which store you use. For those of you who don't have it yet, it's basically a steal at this price. You should definitely jump on it!

Helps solve a lot of the local casting issues without a bunch of workarounds.

I notice the Amazon version is 3.2.9.113 whereas the play store is 3.2.11.118.

I don't buy apps from Amazon, but it's the same apps from the same developer, right? Amazon is just slower to update? If you buy from Amazon, does the phone recongnizes that there is a new version? And then update from google? Does it work that way? I guess what I'm asking is who's going to tell me I need an update? The Play Services or Amazon's own prompt?

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah it's the same devs. It is just Amazon that hosts the updates and not Google. So they may be a bit slower. It will work exactly the same way though.

You need to keep the amazon app store installed as that is where the program will update from.

The prompt etc. will all go through Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

muchtall

May 4, 2011
www.muchtall.com
For those of you who don't have it yet, it's basically a steal at this price. You should definitely jump on it!

Thanks for the tip (button pushed)!

I've been holding off (re-)buying Plex on Amazon until the price came down. I've gotten so used to only buying buying an app once on my Android/Play devices. The thought of buying an app again just for the one Amazon Android variant device in my home pisses me off. Plex, however, is worth it to me. Now this gives me a way to easily allow the baby sitter to play movies for the kids.

Last edited:

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks for the tip (button pushed)!

I've been holding off (re-)buying Plex on Amazon until the price came down. I've gotten so used to only buying buying an app once on my Android/Play devices. The thought of buying an app again just for the one Amazon Android variant device in my home pisses me off. Plex, however, is worth it to me. Now this gives me a way to easily allow the baby sitter to play movies for the kids.

Haha, yeah I hear ya.

I keep the Amazon app store kicking around because they toss in paid apps/games/bundles for free relatively often. It's not really different from the Play store except that it's Amazon and not Google. If I'm going to buy an app I'll generally use the Play store, but occasionally there will be deals (like Plex) on Amazon that are worth it and I don't mind jumping on.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Amazon is terrible with keeping apps up to date. I downloaded Magic 2014 there and purchased some in game content. Now it's still stuck on a version 10 months old that doesn't support new features or content. For $1 I'm less worried, but I would never spend real money there again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure you can blame the developer for that. Developers have to submit their apps to each "store", generally Apple, Google, and then Amazon. If they neglect to do so in a timely manner, you get outdated apps.

Well.....Yes and No....

Even in cases where the Developer keeps both up to date the Amazon App does not automatically update you and will not always notify you of one until you run their App...

Google will almost always automatically update you to the latest version except at times where the permission requests have changed significantly enough to require manual accepting of the new permissions.

And if your flashing custom roms a lot the other thing about Amazon is that unless the app is installed it not only won't update but the license will expire until you log in to Amazon at least once after every flash.

While it's nice to save money for the $3 or $4 I prefer to get most (if not all) of my Apps from Google.

But I sure understand why people are willing to go through the extra hassle to save a few bucks in this economy.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure you can blame the developer for that. Developers have to submit their apps to each "store", generally Apple, Google, and then Amazon. If they neglect to do so in a timely manner, you get outdated apps.

I think there's more to it. Something is blocking developers from getting their updates submitted or approved in a timely fashion. Maybe there's a confidentiality agreement that explains why the details are not clear to the public, but for some reason even apps from reputable developers are chronically behind in updates on Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ETFoneHome

Jun 11, 2012
One of the main reasons I installed Amazon appstore on my various Nexus tablets and phones is for the daily free apps. I have over 500 + so far and some of them are quite good, including those I already bought from Google playstore: swype and switfkey, Runtastic pro, SketchBook pro, etc., and tons of games. And don't forget about the Amazon coins promotions. I have over 500 coins so getting Plex for 99 coins is a no brainer because its free!

Also I remember, a while back, having Android devices that don't include Google playstore nor is it supported. It's much easier to side-load Amazon appstore in such cases. Even with all that I still think Google Playstore is more refined and works great on Google "approved" devices. Amazon has been making some major improvements to the UI lately though.

Top Liked Posts