Fixing Galaxy Note problems

Search This thread

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
Hey guys, I created this thread to chronicle my attempt in fixing my Galaxy Note's broken USB dock connector.

The problem: The phone charges only when off. MTP/USB mass storage won't work. On some roms Car mode wackiness ensued. It seemed like it was possessed; exactly like another persons detail of the problem.

Attempt to fix it: Contacted three wholesalers in China at Alibaba.com for the dock connector for Galaxy Note. Waiting on response right now.

So far I have eleminated everything in my troubleshooting. I've tried multiple custom roms and went and tried two different stock roms with no luck. I also have tried plugging in different kinds of usb cables. I also tried plugging them in different computers.

Anyone can post they're problem-->solution here for future reference.

I found this on google and I thought it was very helpful. HERE IS THE SERVICE MANUAL FOR GALAXY NOTE:
http://letitbit.net/download/55297....68026c2/Samsung_N7000_Service_Manual.rar.html
http://www.samsungparts.ru/2012/01/%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BA%D0%B0-samsung-gt-n7000/#more-2963

Last edited:

bannork

Jan 20, 2012
Hey guys, I'm created this thread to chronicle my attempt in fixing my Galaxy Note's broken USB dock connector.

The problem: The phone charges only when off. MTP/USB mass storage won't work. On some roms Car mode wackiness ensued. It seemed like it was possessed; exactly like another persons detail of the problem.

Attempt to fix it: Contacted three wholesalers in China at Alibaba.com for the dock connector for Galaxy Note. Waiting on response right now.

So far I have eleminated everything in my troubleshooting. I've tried multiple custom roms and went and tried two different stock roms with no luck. I also have tried plugging in different kinds of usb cables. I also tried plugging them in different computers.

Anyone can post they're problem-->solution here for future reference.

I am afraid there is no solution for this type of behavior at this point. I am too had the same experience.

I am awaiting for another responds email from Germany(where my Note came from) to send mine in for a repair. Until then, I can still use my Note with external battery/charger that I got from Amazon.

good luck-

naimmkassim

Jan 6, 2010
Selangor
Did you guys try use difference charger? I face the same problem once where the charging mode keep changing to dock mode on and off while charging. After i change it use others charger (spare), now everything is ok.

My theory is that the charger started to malfunction n produce too low or too high voltage which trigger the dock mode..my 2 cents.. ;P correct me if im wrong..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

bannork

Jan 20, 2012
Did you guys try use difference charger? I face the same problem once where the charging mode keep changing to dock mode on and off while charging. After i change it use others charger (spare), now everything is ok.

My theory is that the charger started to malfunction n produce too low or too high voltage which trigger the dock mode..my 2 cents.. ;P correct me if im wrong..

I can assure you it's not the charger or the data cable, as I have plenty laying around. My money is on the logic board.

wolfmanx

Sep 16, 2004

After having 2 SGNote units being bricked and (luckily) replaced with a new unit everytime, I found that the root cause for the SGNote being bricked is a weak USB interface and protection circuit. At first I thought I just messed up the rooting process that's why I bricked the device. When my 2nd replacement unit also got bricked, I traced back that the only common denominator was a rogue iphone charger that I used to recharge the device. Knowing that the weakness of the SGNote is the USB circuit, I'm now careful to use no other charger but the stock charger that came with the unit.

Last edited:

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
After having 2 SGNote units being bricked and (luckily) replaced with a new unit everytime, I found that the root cause for the SGNote being bricked is a weak USB interface and protection circuit. At first I thought I just messed up the rooting process that's why I bricked the device. When my 2nd replacement unit also got bricked, I traced back that the only common denominator was a rouge iphone charger that I used to recharge the device. Knowing that the weakness of the SGNote is the USB circuit, I'm now careful to use no other charger but the stock charger that came with the unit.

Yeah this makes sense.

Anyway this is the part I'm trying to acquire:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/521953864/Dock_Connector_Charging_Port_Flex_Cable.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/521398121/For_Sansung_GALAXY_NOTE_N7000_I9220.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/521398854/I9220_charger_flex_for_Samung.html

I strongly believe that the Galaxy S2 USB problems are of similar nature and the solution was to replace the USB dock connector. This gives me a lot of hope since it's easy enough to do. There is no soldering involved AFAIK since it just came off during the Galaxy Note teardown video on youtube @2:28 and @3:36 (ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFDr3PQMTxw). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

aftabbabar

Nov 13, 2010
its definitely a hardware issue and has been traced to the usb port inside the phone. I have the same issue and I am also waiting for the part to replace the damaged one inside my phone.
here is what I am doing to make my phone function-able:
When you connect the usb cord to charge the phone you have to press it down hard and then slide it out. this will temporarily fix the physical usb port pins and allow your phone to function normally. you have to do this every time when you connect and disconnect the usb cord. I will use my phone like this until the part becomes available to buy. I have a feeling, this phone is very delicately designed and can get bricked all by itself.

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
My note does not charge with Three of my HTC chargers neither does it charge with another car charger.but charges fine with the Samsung charger.has sometimes issues with otg with Samsung otg cable and another otg cable. Even today when I used a Samsung otg cable to connect my note with a Samsung galaxy s2 via a Samsung USB cable, the otg features did not work, the s2 just said mtp and note said unknown device connected! So there are issues with this USB on the note.

Last edited:

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
I saw a youtube video for Galaxy S2 where he suspected that it was a malfunctioning USB dock. He replaced it and all the symptoms were gone. I'm really going full press on this and hopefully I can help myself and others who have similar problems. I've read up on USB problems the last 2 days from Galaxy Note users and Galaxy S2. They are very similar in design other than the screen/stylus.

Last edited:

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
I am afraid there is no solution for this type of behavior at this point. I am too had the same experience.

I am awaiting for another responds email from Germany(where my Note came from) to send mine in for a repair. Until then, I can still use my Note with external battery/charger that I got from Amazon.

good luck-

Please keep us updated on your progress. :)

BTW to the folks having USB issues, are you having unusual battery drain? What other quirks have you encountered?

Has anyone compared the shape of the USB dock connector for Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Note? I wonder if they are all the same shape and if I should try and look at replacing that part only? If it is the same then I will get this http://cnn.cn/shop/samsung-i9000-galaxy-microusb-connector-p-10745.html since it's cheap and I've got nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

Last edited:

naimmkassim

Jan 6, 2010
Selangor
Looks like we have a new design flaw here..so, how long does it take for you guys to experience this problem from date purchase your note?

Mine already 1 month purchase and not having this problem.

wolfmanx

Sep 16, 2004
its definitely a hardware issue and has been traced to the usb port inside the phone. I have the same issue and I am also waiting for the part to replace the damaged one inside my phone.
here is what I am doing to make my phone function-able:
When you connect the usb cord to charge the phone you have to press it down hard and then slide it out. this will temporarily fix the physical usb port pins and allow your phone to function normally. you have to do this every time when you connect and disconnect the usb cord. I will use my phone like this until the part becomes available to buy. I have a feeling, this phone is very delicately designed and can get bricked all by itself.

I fully agree that it is a hardware issue. Samsung should come up with an extra dongle or maybe a protection circuit integrated with the USB cable that should be used in conjunction with the SGNote. Otherwise, this issue will just keep on repeating and they will end up with a bunch of bricked units on their hands.

If only I didn't like the display on this device, I would have opted for a change item instead of a replacement unit.

I still have the rogue iPhone charger and when I use it to charge an iPhone it keeps on repeatedly bringing up the charging battery icon on and off but it doesn't destroy or brick the phone. But when I connected it to the SGNote, it bricked it. I did it on 2 units. And it will surely brick any other SGNote unit I connect this charger to. I'm willing to demo this to Samsung to prove the point of their weak USB interface circuitry.

Last edited:

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
If only I didn't like the display on this device, I would have opted for a change item instead of a replacement unit.

I still have the rouge iPhone charger and when I use it to charge an iPhone it keeps on repeatedly bringing up the charging battery icon on and off but it doesn't destroy or brick the phone. But when I connected it to the SGNote, it bricked it. I did it on 2 units. And it will surely brick any other SGNote unit I connect this charger to. I'm willing to demo this to Samsung to prove the point of their weak USB interface circuitry.

Like you I got the Note for the screen size because I don't like to read in small screens. I haven't had a phone in 6 years!!!! I've seen phones come and go. The screen size of the Note made it comfortable enough to read anything (PDF, comics, web pages, ebooks).

How sure are you guys that it is indeed the USB circuitry and not just the metal dock? To be honest I'm not sure right now.

wolfmanx

Sep 16, 2004
Like you I got the Note for the screen size because I don't like to read in small screens. I haven't had a phone in 6 years!!!! I've seen phones come and go. The screen size of the Note made it comfortable enough to read anything (PDF, comics, web pages, ebooks).

How sure are you guys that it is indeed the USB circuitry and not just the metal dock? To be honest I'm not sure right now.

Oh my! Looking at the charger flex assembly pictures, all I see are a bunch of passive components for protection. I see no active components on this board that would likely be used for over-voltage or over-current protection. I'm not sure if it's on the main board though. But normally protection circuitry are placed right next to the connector for them to be effective. There seems to be a lot of space on the board for even a single-chip USB protection circuit but the space hasn't been utilized for such.

I'd be willing to bet you that your problems will still be the same even after replacement of this flex assembly.

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
Oh my! Looking at the charger flex assembly pictures, all I see are a bunch of passive components for protection. I see no active components on this board that would likely be used for over-voltage or over-current protection. I'm not sure if it's on the main board though. But normally protection circuitry are placed right next to the connector for them to be effective. There seems to be a lot of space on the board for even a single-chip USB protection circuit but the space hasn't been utilized for such.

I'd be willing to bet you that your problems will still be the same even after replacement of this flex assembly.

Well I hope you are wrong :p or else I'm screwed over an $800 phone. Did you see that in the Service Manual? I've linked the service manual on the first post. QME02 is the part I want to replace.

wolfmanx

Sep 16, 2004
For me it was a month and a half before it started going crazy.

For me, about 5 minutes after I plug-in the rogue iPhone charger... I did it twice... and luckily, since I still have warranty, I got both units replaced.

I strongly suggest for everybody not to use any other USB charger apart from the stock charger that came with the SGNote. Of course, this excludes plugging it into a PC or laptop as they should be fairly safe and well-protected (at least for name-brand units).

If you're going to use the stock charger, I would recommend plugging the USB cable in the charger and plugging-in the charger in the wall socket first BEFORE plugging-in the mini-USB connector to your SGNote. This minimizes the chances of having voltage spikes being transmitted through the USB connections into the SGNote, especially during the actual plugging of the charger to the wall socket. This is to be on the safe side in the case that the stock charger design is also flawed and doesn't prevent transients from reaching the load unit itself.

Is there a website or something from which we can call Samsung's attention on this matter? If indeed transients are the cause of the USB problems then all they need to do on the SGNote is to redesign the USB board assembly and stick it into units that have not been affected yet. This entails a product recall or as I mentioned in my previous post, maybe to offer us SGNote buyers a dongle or a USB cable with the protection circuitry.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Well I hope you are wrong :p or else I'm screwed over an $800 phone. Did you see that in the Service Manual? I've linked the service manual on the first post. QME02 is the part I want to replace.

Yup on the service manual and on the links to alibaba that you provided on your previous posts. I looked at both sides of the sub-assembly and only found passive components.

Last edited:

Towserspvm2000

Dec 22, 2004
Wales
Well I'm using a 2 amp charger from ebay for charging downstairs; a HTC 1 amp charger in the bedroom; the 1 amp Samsung charger in work, but I also plug it into the 800 mah charger that also charges an extra battery in situ. ... she's till working fine.

andruyd

Dec 14, 2011
LG V20
Huawei MediaPad T5
Right now, usb mass storage or MTP is totally non-functional for me. I'm still glad USB charging is working. I hope that parts holds up till I get a replacement for it.

Thank goodness for wireless and FTP!:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    take out the battery and then take a fine plastic edge and push the usb pins (strip) back inside the usb port in the phone. this will fix the usb port and your problems will disappear.
    Here is how I fixed my usb port inside the note.
    Seems like whenever I would disconnect my note from charger usb cord, the phone would think its still connected to the charger and actually discharge my phone. I tried cleaning with alcohol and nail polish remover with tooth brush. No positive results were achieved.
    So here is what I did that fixed it for good.
    Take a plastic fine screw driver or any sharp plastic strip that would go inside the usb port on the note. Now just push the usb pins (strip-inside the port) back. I mean to push the strip inside the usb port back and in a hard/forceful way, without damaging or bending anything inside. This has solved my problems and now I can connect and disconnect my usb cable for charging and for data transfer without any incidents or errors. Make sure the phone is off and battery is removed. Thanks god the note is working fine for now. I will still buy the usb port once it's available on ebay for a reasonable price.
    My Galaxy note is driving me crazy. To begin, let me say I absolutely love my Note and I love it better than the AT&T version. Now my Note is rooted and I don't know if that is the very cause of my problem.

When I plug my note into my computer (and I have tried it with several computers), I get this message on the phone "USB connected, MTP connected." But either of two things happen on the computer. Either nothing happens at all or I get a message to this effect: one of the USB devices plugged to the computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it.

Basically my phone has been cut off from communicating with my computer. It charges alright, even when plugged into the computer, but that's the only communication that takes place between the two devices. I have changed all settings changeable - debugging, USB utilities, etc. I don't know what else to do.

I have done a hard reset a dozen times, yet with no luck. I took the phone out for repair. They did a quick inspection of the USB port and told me they did not think the port is broken; it seemed to be very much intact. I even would like to reinstall the stock firmware to see if that would fix the problem, but I am unable to do that because my phone would not communicate with any computer. Can I install the firmware from an SD card? Is there something else I can do?
    Worked!

take out the battery and then take a fine plastic edge and push the usb pins (strip) back inside the usb port in the phone. this will fix the usb port and your problems will disappear.

Hey thanks very much I tried this and its now working! Many thanks, kris
    facing similar issues described in this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1572668
    i just ordered the Connector Charge Port Flex Cable For Samsung N7000 Galaxy Note i9220 from here :
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connector...Samsung-N7000-Galaxy-Note-i9220-/180772505164
    @aftabbabar @leicashot - could you guys elaborate, what exactly i need to push and where ? :)