Gogle Latitude Icon photo won't set on map

Search This thread

storm180

Sep 29, 2006
So I got the update and I set myself up on latitude, I changed my picture for my icon to a photo on my phone and saved it. Everything looked ok, but when I went back to the map, just the blank face default icon was there. So I go back to the setup screen and that picture is blank again. However the icon does show up online on my igoogle page. I then tried a picture by taking a live picture and the same results.

So I let it sit there for about 2 days now and even turned off and on the phone a few times and it is still there. I have read on other forums of others having the same problems but so far no solutions.

Storm180

afoulke

Yeah I am slightly confused by this also because the photo does show up on google latitudes on googles website but not on Google Maps for the G1. Probally some bug that needs to be fixed for the next firmware update. Report it to google and see what happens.

storm180

Sep 29, 2006
I haven't added any friends to my g1 lattitude program so I don't know if it just a problem with just the your icon or everyone you add to the map.

BTW: How to I report the bug to google, nothing on their latitude page directs me to a support page.

Storm180

ratsoda

Feb 6, 2009
I have two G1s (my wifes and mine), and this made it work:

Go to you gmail account---> go to contacts--> pick the contact that you want to "see"(as icon).

make sure that the contact has, in the info area:

(pick from tab) IM: [in the box] GTALK: XXXXX@gmail.com
----------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed that IF:

(pick from tab) IM: [in the box] GTALK: XXXXXXXXX

without @GMAIL.COM typed ( just have GTALK: and name):
the icon is not shown on latitude.

ratsoda

Feb 6, 2009
OK GOT IT!!! TO SEE YOUR OWN ICON

ADD yourself inyour google contacts.

All you need is:

1)YOUR NAME Or A NAME (my name in the contact area is not the same name I set up gmail with)
2)primary email:

3) in the info part:

(from tab) IM: [in the box] GTALK: your gmail address (xxxxxx@gmail.com)

AND like I said don't forget the @gmail.com

VERY IMPORTANT:
your primary email: HAS TO BE: your gmail account

AND:
your own pic does NOT have to be uploaded in the contact section (but you have to have "my pick" circle picked)

PUT your pic in your account profile section.

*****EDIT: MAYBE BETTER TO PUT PIC IN CONTACT SECTION.***********

AND OH YEA:
don't forget to SYNC your phone

Last edited:

shafty023

Jul 24, 2007
Austin,TX
So was this the only solution for this problem? Any other fixes for those of us with a rooted update? I can't set my contact photo in google latitude and I'm running the latest JF release.