[Q] Themer not registering touches reliably.

Search This thread

flyingj

May 19, 2011
Im running Themer on my Moto X (stock) and sometimes it takes several attempts for a touch to register to open a given module. (Favorites, camers, etc.)
Sometimes it works ok, but sometimes the screen seems unresponsive to touch. I had it show touches in dev options but even 'direct hits' don't register and open whatever the icon is supposed to open. This seems to occur across themes. I do have widgets locked.

Am I missing something here or is this normal?

ThemerSupport

Aug 9, 2013
Im running Themer on my Moto X (stock) and sometimes it takes several attempts for a touch to register to open a given module. (Favorites, camers, etc.)
Sometimes it works ok, but sometimes the screen seems unresponsive to touch. I had it show touches in dev options but even 'direct hits' don't register and open whatever the icon is supposed to open. This seems to occur across themes. I do have widgets locked.

Am I missing something here or is this normal?

Hi,

Try uninstalling Themer - delete the /sdcard/MyColorScreen/ folder (removing the Exported folder within it if you saved any themes) - then reinstall Themer.

Let us know if that helps!

flyingj

May 19, 2011
Thank you for responding, I'll give that a try. Though it is possible that with some themes with small target zones may contribute to the issue.

Thank you!

Hi,

Try uninstalling Themer - delete the /sdcard/MyColorScreen/ folder (removing the Exported folder within it if you saved any themes) - then reinstall Themer.

Let us know if that helps!

ThemerSupport

Aug 9, 2013
Shades of green and coordinate are two perfect examples. I'm using a rooted Nexus 5 running droid Kang. Beautiful themes, but even with the screen showing presses I can be pressing right on something and it doesn't pick it up.

Thanks for the heads up, will speak to the developers and see what they can do.

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
Same thing, doesn't seem dependent on theme (happens across all themes I've tried), T-Mo Galaxy Note 3 running stock 4.4.2 (unrooted)

It's hit & miss, sometimes everything works, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 presses before it registers. Seems to be memory related because it generally only happens when returning to the home screen after leaving another app that uses a significant portion of RAM, though I do not have actual evidence of this.

ThemerSupport

Aug 9, 2013
Same thing, doesn't seem dependent on theme (happens across all themes I've tried), T-Mo Galaxy Note 3 running stock 4.4.2 (unrooted)

It's hit & miss, sometimes everything works, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 presses before it registers. Seems to be memory related because it generally only happens when returning to the home screen after leaving another app that uses a significant portion of RAM, though I do not have actual evidence of this.

The developers are still looking into reducing RAM usage, hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Wetzel402

I believe this will solve the non-registering touches.

I don't think it's grid/sensitivity related, I really think it's the RAM issue.

On my device it appears to be related to adding the dock feature or persistent search box. Adding either appears to cause the problem and then removing them causes the problem to be alleviated. I ran up my RAM usage to near 90% without any problems (without the dock or search).

Another bug I would love to see fixed is Themer retaining the dock and search features when applying a new theme. It is annoying having to reconfigure the options and add everything back to the dock each time.

Edit:
I'm going to add my feature requests/changes here since I can't find a specific thread for it.

App drawer:
  • Horizontal or vertical scroll options perhaps with a paginated option for both
  • Allow Themer icon to be swapped for the play store icon
  • Allow for the removal of the tabs at the top entirely

Launcher screens:
  • Allow custom smart categories and/or folders to be used by widgets (maybe the news icon could open a folder or category I've created to show all my news apps instead of launching the themer news app only)
  • Allow reordering of home screens (perhaps even allow adding multiple themes at one time next to each other)
  • Retain custom added home screen folders and icons when changing themes
  • Give end user access to icons used by the theme so when customizing an icon I can use one built into my theme (I like the dialer in my dock but I would love to use my theme's dialer icon instead of the default android one)

As mentioned above:
  • Retain dock and persistent search options between themes but also allow themes to better resize when those options are selected (some themes get cut off slightly or the aspect ratio gets out of whack)

Hopefully that doesn't sound too demanding. I'm just trying to help make an awesome concept better :)

Last edited:

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
On my device it appears to be related to adding the dock feature or persistent search box. Adding either appears to cause the problem and then removing them causes the problem to be alleviated. I ran up my RAM usage to near 90% without any problems (without the dock or search).

Another bug I would love to see fixed is Themer retaining the dock and search features when applying a new theme. It is annoying having to reconfigure the options and add everything back to the dock each time.

Agreed (Bold), I would like the notification bar auto-hide to stay selected when I change themes. However, because each theme requires a different configuration to work/look properly, this might not be ideal.

For me, the problem only happens when the launcher is trying to "catch up". This indicates a memory issue IMO. Anytime the launcher is fully loaded and I'm on the main home screen(s), I do not experience any issues registering touch.

Wetzel402

Perhaps that is the problem then. I don't use Themer as a daily driver just yet because there are a few thing I need sorted out first. The touch issue in this thread being one of them. Folder/custom smart categories, mentioned in my edit above, are another.

Genobee

Jan 11, 2012
This also happens when I use the gesture system(Swiping up/down). Personally this is the least fluid launcher I have ever used, sad seeing that its my favorite.

I know themer is still beta but this problem has been happening for a long time now.

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
On the gestures, I agree there is definitely an issue.

When attempting to do the "two fingers down" or "two fingers up", it generally triggers the "pinch in" gesture. This is the only launcher I have experienced this problem with. It's not make-or-break as I know it's beta, but accurate gestures are very important to me with the way I use my phone.

I expect these will get fine tuned before they transition out of beta

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
I'll have to rescind my former statement(s). I did more testing

There are definitely issues with touch not registering on some themes. As I tried more and more themes, I started to see it more and more. And it's bad. 2-3 times minimum to get the touches to register, especially on the Tron looking theme (I forget it's name). There are many more themes with this issue as well, and it appears over time the more cache/data stored in the MyColorScreen folder, the less responsive the launcher becomes. It got to the point of being unusable until I uninstalled, deleted the folder and reinstalled.

This, coupled with the intense RAM usage and pretty aggressive battery drain (10-12% daily, minimum) and I have to hold off on using Themer for now.

I'm not against sacrificing one or two minor things, but to sacrifice device response + RAM + Battery is too much just to use Themer. I will wait and watch and as improvements are made I will reinstall and retry.

ThemerSupport

Aug 9, 2013
I'll have to rescind my former statement(s). I did more testing

There are definitely issues with touch not registering on some themes. As I tried more and more themes, I started to see it more and more. And it's bad. 2-3 times minimum to get the touches to register, especially on the Tron looking theme (I forget it's name). There are many more themes with this issue as well, and it appears over time the more cache/data stored in the MyColorScreen folder, the less responsive the launcher becomes. It got to the point of being unusable until I uninstalled, deleted the folder and reinstalled.

This, coupled with the intense RAM usage and pretty aggressive battery drain (10-12% daily, minimum) and I have to hold off on using Themer for now.

I'm not against sacrificing one or two minor things, but to sacrifice device response + RAM + Battery is too much just to use Themer. I will wait and watch and as improvements are made I will reinstall and retry.

Hi,

Could you possibly provide us with some more details? What device/Android version/ROM are you using?

Also, which themes are doing this?

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3, running stock 4.4.2, unrooted. For Theme specifics, I will have to reinstall and test for a few days. I will get back to you.