s5 G900W8 canadian ROM Ready?

Search This thread

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
I have a galaxy s5 canadian version i already rooted it but seem like there is new knox thing on these phones. basically i want to flash the xtrolite rom im already rooted what other steps do i need to do to get the rom on my phone? ie unlocking a bootloader? or is it unlocked already? do i need to flash a recovery? since alot of people are talking about xposed framework and i read somewhere tht you dont need recovery if you have xposed which i dont know what it is. can someone please help me? Thanks

kgyirhj

Jun 16, 2014
I have a galaxy s5 canadian version i already rooted it but seem like there is new knox thing on these phones. basically i want to flash the xtrolite rom im already rooted what other steps do i need to do to get the rom on my phone? ie unlocking a bootloader? or is it unlocked already? do i need to flash a recovery? since alot of people are talking about xposed framework and i read somewhere tht you dont need recovery if you have xposed which i dont know what it is. can someone please help me? Thanks
You should first of all install this recovery: "philz touch recovery" Look for threads on this forum and youtube videos how to do it, follow this exactly and properly because this part you don't want to mess up.

When done with that you want to take a backup with "philz touch recovery" there is also guides and videos on how to do that.
Both this things are pretty easy but just be carefull you do them right.

When that is done you will install your ROM, that is very easy. Download ROM to your SD card and use an app like "ROM customizer" to install the ROM. There might be different installs for different ROMS' all ROMs have their own guides, but most of them are pretty much the same.

Just read and you will know everything about how to do this very soon. :)

Reactions: sofia-captivate

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
You should first of all install this recovery: "philz touch recovery" Look for threads on this forum and youtube videos how to do it, follow this exactly and properly because this part you don't want to mess up.

When done with that you want to take a backup with "philz touch recovery" there is also guides and videos on how to do that.

When that is done you will install your ROM, that is very easy. Download ROM to your SD card and use an app like "ROM customizer" to install the ROM. There might be different installs for different ROMS' all ROMs have their own guides, but most of them are pretty much the same.

do i need to unlock bootloader or do something to knox or disable knox? im not sure cause only thing i have done to this device is root only. i know how to flash this recovery i think also know how to backup. im just scared as i have the canadian version if there is any other steps to take?

kgyirhj

Jun 16, 2014
do i need to unlock bootloader or do something to knox or disable knox? im not sure cause only thing i have done to this device is root only. i know how to flash this recovery i think also know how to backup. im just scared as i have the canadian version if there is any other steps to take?

I don't think there is much to worry about.
The ROM you want to install supports your version. The recovery should do too.
Just make sure you do everything right when installing the recovery and you should be fine.
Any mistake after that can be repaired with your recovery. :)

Root is all you need. You should not need to unlock anything else. And don't worry about KNOX.

If your bootloader is locked, then I don't know how to solve it. But I don't think it's locked, only a few service providers in the world lock the bootloaders.
If it is I'm very sorry!

Last edited:

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
I don't think there is much to worry about.
The ROM you want to install supports your version. The recovery should do too.
Just make sure you do everything right when installing the recovery and you should be fine.
Any mistake after that can be repaired with your recovery. :)

Root is all you need. You should not need to unlock anything else. And don't worry about KNOX.

If your bootloader is locked, then I don't know how to solve it. But I don't think it's locked, only a few service providers in the world lock the bootloaders.
If it is I'm very sorry!

how to know if my bootloader is locked or unlocked? Thanks once i know this im ready to go and flash everything. Thank you somuch

kgyirhj

Jun 16, 2014
how to know if my bootloader is locked or unlocked? Thanks once i know this im ready to go and flash everything. Thank you somuch

I don't know how to see that beforhand. Just try to do the flash and you should see if it works or not.
If it's fail because it's locked you will notice and then nothing will be broken.
If it's not locked you will have a successful flash, which you will see.;)

I have read about other Canadians installing ROMS and flashing Recovery so I think you will have success!

Last edited:

harry_fine

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto

The Canadian W8 ROM does not have a locked bootloader. It can be rooted, custom recovery can be installed and if you want, ROMs installed.

With Xposed Framework you don't really need custom ROM. Beauty of root is that you can use titanium backup to freeze dozens of bloatware apps from samsung and others, run Xposed, run other apps that need root, fix the stupid kitkat permissions on SD card, backup your ROM etc.

Once rooted you can also use a third party kernel that supports under or over clocking, depending on your need. Custom kernel developers work hard to get you better battery life.

One thing other poster didn't mention is that when you install custom recovery it will trip Knox. Please don't ask what that is. Look it up and decide. Your warranty will be void.

Brava27

Sep 7, 2012
Toronto
The Canadian W8 ROM does not have a locked bootloader. It can be rooted, custom recovery can be installed and if you want, ROMs installed.

With Xposed Framework you don't really need custom ROM. Beauty of root is that you can use titanium backup to freeze dozens of bloatware apps from samsung and others, run Xposed, run other apps that need root, fix the stupid kitkat permissions on SD card, backup your ROM etc.

Once rooted you can also use a third party kernel that supports under or over clocking, depending on your need. Custom kernel developers work hard to get you better battery life.

One thing other poster didn't mention is that when you install custom recovery it will trip Knox. Please don't ask what that is. Look it up and decide. Your warranty will be void.

Exactly what I'm doing

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.