When should i really use Smart Stabilisation?

Search This thread

aliguu

Apr 15, 2012
apparently this is what you should do:

[good light][day photos]
NO Smart Stablisation
NO flash
AUTO mode is great

[low light][night photos]
YES Smart Stabilisation
NO/YES flash = try it with NO first if u want natural photo and see if its acceptable photo.
Otherwise it is strongly recommended to use flash at night or at low light conditions
AUTO mode is OK /or Can try adjusting iso/exposure/etc settings

Last edited:

dazkyl

Jan 23, 2011
apparently this is what you should do:

[good light][day photos]
NO Smart Stablisation
NO flash
AUTO mode is great

[low light][night photos]
YES Smart Stabilisation
NO/YES flash = try it with NO first if u want natural photo and see if its acceptable photo.
Otherwise it is strongly recommended to use flash at night or at low light conditions
AUTO mode is OK /or Can try adjusting iso/exposure/etc settings

Great , but when taking night photos with flash on , should image optimisation be on or off ?

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
What Samsung calls smart stabilization it's not real stabilization to begin with. In order to have real image stabilization for still pictures you need either optical stabilization in the lens or sensor which, as far as I know Note 3 doesn't have. What "smart stabilization" does is take quick burst of shots and combine them into one low noise shot, which is more like special form of HDR. In video mode they're using digital stabilization, when lets say first frame is taken from center of the sensor and the next frame from different area according to your hand shake, so both frames align properly. I would say you should experiment and see what works and what doesn't. With static picture, smart stabilization should work just fine, with any type of movement in the frame things will start getting tricky, but really experimenting is the way to go.