[Q] Blank black screen w/SafeStrap on Droid 3

Search This thread

Lobstercat

Jan 14, 2014
Corning
Okay, looking to get more involved and learn a lot more in hopes of contributing someday but for now I'm stuck. I picked up a very used Droid 3 on Ebay and rooted it with MotoFail, then installed SafeStrap 3.05 & everything seemed fine. Problem is I can't boot into any "safe" ROM slots, it just gives me a blank black screen & I have to remove the battery to restart. My original D3 has CWM on it, but I was always too scared to flash anything too drastic so this is my test toy. It is running on the 906 with SS version 3.05.

I downloaded a bunch of ROMs and none work. I tried restoring my backup which I'm sure I saw somebody do on Youtube but I have since read that won't work anyway but I'd still like a "stock" rom in a safe slot. I also tried the official 906 zip, but also read somewhere that that only works on the stock partition. I tried aokp_toroplus_nightly_2013-08-20.zip, D3-Eclipse-v3.0_NON.zip, minimoto_v1.7.zip, & the afore mentioned VRZ_XT862_5.5.1_84_D3G-66_M2-10_1FF_01a.XML.zip but none would even flash, just gave errors. Also tried KEXEC-cm-9-20120905-UNOFFICIAL-solana-SS2.zip, Liquid-JB-v2.9-OFFICIAL-solana.zip, & something small called phablet-20130327-cm_solana.zip. That last one, tried usually in slot 4, is the only one that does something other than give a black blank screen - it eventually shuts the phone off. I read that Liquid had to be in slot 3 so that's where I put it every time.

I DID discover that I don't think Busybox was installed during the root this time, when I rooted my original D3 it was already there. So I installed a BB from Market, then went into SS & uninstalled, then reinstalled. Rebooted into recovery and re-wiped all the slots (except stock of course) with all 4 options (cache, dalvik, system, & uh, something else I forget now) & re-installed the ROMs but nothing changed.

More possible helpful info: When this BB installed it gave me an option of normal install or more thorough "smart" install, I did the smart install, also installed CWM ROM Manager to try something but that didn't work either, and downloading official ROMs through that always gives an error. Data sizes of slots are all 2GB except #4 which is only 1GB. Under the "Mount" tab, system & (either data or cache, can't remember) are unchecked, and the 3 "unmount" boxes below are checked. Using a root explorer, I can confirm that SS did "install" the roms & each slot contains a cache.img, system.img, & a userdata.img.

So, what am I doing wrong guys? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for being such a noob here, Thanks in advance!

doogald

May 27, 2010
I think I would just start over. FXZ the phone back to stock and re-root with Motofail. Make sure that you unzip the Motofail download and disable any virus checker you have. It does sound possible that the lack of busybox may be the cause of your flash failures. I can tell you for 100%, absolute, certain that Minimoto will flash on any ROM slot in Safestrap 3.0.5.

Eclipse 3.0 as you download will not install in Safestrap, but I created a Safestrap-enabled version. You can find it here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/teamhaters/210971-eclipse-v3-0-droid-3-port-11.html#post2414744

I think that the Dropbox link is still live. Let me know if it's not there...

All of the KEXEC ROMs, if I am not mistaken, have to be installed in ROM Slot 1. (I never used them, beyond just seeing what it looked like, and it's been a while since I tried.)

Get Motofail here: http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2012/02/11/rooting-the-droid-4-a-failed-bounty-experiment/

It says it's for the D4, but it's what the D3 will be rooted with as well.

Lobstercat

Jan 14, 2014
Corning
Success!!! Thank you!!! I am now up & running with all 4 slots filled, currently with Avatar, Maverick, Dark Droid, and a generic non-VZW stock. The Eclipse links were down (Dev Host) but if you still have an Eclipse for SS I would love to take a look at it. Already tried the Ubuntu Touch one too, "Phablet" or something, but couldn't get at a menu to connect to my WiFi. And, since you are so helpful... :D I was wondering if you could point me to some stuff to read & research. There are plenty of guys (& a few girls I'm sure too) making great ROMs but they need to be ported to different devices. So I would like to eventually learn how to port SS to different devices and ROMs to SS. It seems there are really only a few people working on that stuff and that is where the help would be needed. Working my way through the XDA University thing too. Thanks again for your help!

Top Liked Posts