[Q] Can you clone the Moto X using a Moto X?

Search This thread

kbluhm

Dec 9, 2010
Original topic title: Can CM w/ 3rd-party apps truly emulate the stock experience?

This question is more "what if?" than anything. I have seen people here and there mention now certain apps such as DynamicNotifications and Open Mic+ together can closely emulate the functionality of the Moto X on other devices, preferrably with AMOLED displays.

But my question goes a bit beyond that... specifically: can you clone the Moto X using a Moto X? I'm thinking a year or so down the road when our X has reached its EOL and no longer receives new Android versions. I still run stock on my Dev Edition, but let's say the next version of Android has some killer new features, enhancements, optimizations, etc, that I just don't want to miss out on, but also don't want to shell out another $300-400 for a new device.

How reasonable -- or unreasonable -- would it be to install CM along with the aforementioned applications (or similar) and expect to get the full Moto X experience... including the stellar battery life and everything that comes with it. With the X8 architecture, will the battery life be comparable? Or will the apps have no idea what type of cores it's dealing with and just treat them as any other processor, or ignore them altogether, resulting in decreased battery life? Are the stock apps that tightly knit into the hardware? You could most likely closely emulate the functionality, but could you emulate the experience as a whole?

My best guess would be that expecting it to perform just as well, or even comparably, would result in huge disappointment. But at the same time, I'm not a dev or hardware guru and figured I'd just throw it out there to see what people had to say.

Last edited:

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
It depend what Motorola derive to open source it's codes, I'm no Dev so I can't help you there.

I don't know about Touchless Control, but the Active Display found in AOKP rom is actually better than Moto version. It have more features and settings to choose from. I used it on my Nexus and it didn't eat up the battery.

CM rom will not have Active Display do will have to wait for other roms to come along.

sent via tapatalk