VPN access/useragentswitcher/ or a way to bypass isp packet sniffers.

Search This thread

smartymcfly

Is there any way to connect to internet via VPN (PPTP, L2TP-IPSec, or OPENvpn). Is it possible to install the necessary system/binary stuff to be able to so through adb, ssh, or telnet. I am connected to the internet through my phones hotspot, my laptop is connected to VPN. And when I am not connected to VPN for any reason I can make the chrome useragent changer to appear as an ubuntu or linux machine running chrome. When the content being requested is local on laptop plex media server and requesting it through patched plex it can play just fine, and that is with the laptop connected to internet via VPN, when I try to play something on plex that is streaming it just hangs like it wants to play but doesn't load. when I attempt to play streaming media via AVIA I get sent to the 4gLTE ISP provider (tmobile) upsell page that appears when they sense that you have something connected via wifi hotspot tether. I think that when plex is hanging at the loading page that it is also getting the upsell page but it just doesn't show up on the screen. If it is possible to make the CC connect through VPN or change the user agent of the chromecast I should be able to bypass the upsell page that is saying I can't connect via wifi tethered devices. This makes me think that the dns servers I have set in eureka web panel may not actually be making their connection through the servers from openNIC that I set it to use. The chromecast can communicate with my laptop when it is connected to VPN simultaneously without a problem.

Is it possible to innstall the privateinternetaccess PIA VPN app on the chromecast and add it to the eurekarom whitelist? or any openvpn app will work so other people with different vpn providers can also connect with the correct configuration files in place. Or does anyone know how to make the chromecast go through VPN that is active on phone, like the way a router that is connected to VPN makes all of the clients connected to it go through the VPN without the need to sign in to the vpn on each device.

Reactions: slick3r

clem3

Jan 14, 2009
Here's how I did it !!!

I'm also tethering via T-Mobile & ran into the same problem as you !!! What I've done before the 15250 update was run an app named Network Spoofer downloaded from blackmart app // I turned hotspot on my phone & my Asus Tf700 was connected to the WiFi created by t mobile I used VPN unlimited & while its connected // I ran the Network spoofer app & I either use adblock *** or redirect traffic through phone - this being the most often used option !!! After selecting redirect // I selected default gateway // I then chose the IP address that my chromescast is using // the chromecast name under IP address sometimes doesn't show up // so you'll have to know what your chrome cast IP address is // you can find this by using the chrome cast app !!!

slick3r

Apr 3, 2014
I ran into the same problem. Plex Media Server would not work on T-mobile tethering. I tried Network Spoofer and used Redirect Traffic Through Phone and give it the ip address of the the laptop that hosts Plex Media Server, it didn't work. Even the browser on this laptop would bring up the T-mobile upsell page. It seems this feature would simply let everything pass through the phone.

Any other suggestion?

Here's my setup
An LG phone with T-mobile LTE attached to my router via USB tethering. The router then serves every device, wired and wireless, on my network. Roku and all PCs works fine if I change the User Agent of the browser. Only the Plex Media Server would cause T-mobile to bill the traffic against the limited 2.5G tethering, the rest got billed against the unlimited data plan.

smartymcfly

1.connect windows PC to wifi/usb tether connection

2.connect computer to VPN

3.create WiFi hotspot on CPU via

"Solution A
- Go to*Control Panel*>*Network*/*Network and Sharing Center
- Go to*Set up a new connection or network
- Go to*Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network
- Add a Name and Password (and set the security type onWEP) and Checked*Save this network*and press*Next
- [Windows 8.1] Confirm*Turn On*Internet Connect Sharing
- [Windows 8, 7 or Older] Right Click on available network and select*Properties*and go to*Sharing*Tab and checkedAllow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection

Solution B
- Go to left sidebar and select*Manage Wireless Networks
- Go to top left and select*Add
- Select*Next
- Add a*Name*and*Password*(leave security type on*WEP) and Checked*Save this network*option

Solution C
- Press*Windows Key + R*and type*ncpa.cpl
- Select current WiFi Adapter and Right Click on it and select*Properties
- Go to*Sharing*Tab and checked*Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection
- [WINDOWS 8.1]: go to left bottom screen and selectCommand Prompt (Admin)
- [WINDOWS 8, 7 or Older]: Press*Windows Key + R
- Change PASSWORD 12345678 and SSID AMASTANEH in below text and type it on black terminal screen
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="AMASTANEH" key="12345678"
- you can start and see the ready network with this command
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Solution D
- Download Virtual Router (Wifi Hot Spot for Windows 8, Windows 7 and 2008 R2) fromhttp://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/
- Install and Run and Enjoy ;)

Solution E
- Download*Connectify from*www.connectify.me
- Install and Run and Enjoy ;)"

4.connect chromecast to wlan hotspot created in step 3

Step 3's source comes from here
http://blog.amastaneh.com/2014/01/how-to-create-windows-wifi-hotspot.html?m=1

Reactions: erics88 and slick3r

slick3r

Apr 3, 2014

"Solution A
- Add a Name and Password (and set the security type onWEP) and Checked*Save this network*and press*Next
- [Windows 8, 7 or Older] Right Click on available network and select*Properties*and go to*Sharing*Tab and checkedAllow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection

Hi smartymcfly,

Thanks for the info. It seems step 3 above is to turn the laptop into a wifi hotspot. However, In my case the laptop is already visible throughout the whole network because it's attached to the router via an ethernet cable. The router gets its internet from the USB port attached to a smart phone and all devices attached to the router.

Based on your instruction (step 2) is to connect to a vpn. I will try to run Hotspot Shield on the laptop to see if that helps. My router is an Asus wl-520gu running DD-WRT so I think it has builtin VPN server, I will try that too.

By the way, did you get your Plex Server to work without T-mobile upsell? Thanks

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
I ran into the same problem. Plex Media Server would not work on T-mobile tethering. I tried Network Spoofer and used Redirect Traffic Through Phone and give it the ip address of the the laptop that hosts Plex Media Server, it didn't work. Even the browser on this laptop would bring up the T-mobile upsell page. It seems this feature would simply let everything pass through the phone.

Any other suggestion?

Here's my setup
An LG phone with T-mobile LTE attached to my router via USB tethering. The router then serves every device, wired and wireless, on my network. Roku and all PCs works fine if I change the User Agent of the browser. Only the Plex Media Server would cause T-mobile to bill the traffic against the limited 2.5G tethering, the rest got billed against the unlimited data plan.

This might not be directly related but here is a little something I learned....

I have PMS with a VPN. There are a few things you need to set up before you can get it to work. (Also works for vudu)

Basically, the VPN won't work because it needs access to a few IP addresses that it can communicate directly with the myplex servers but not through the VPN. I did tons of packet sniffing to figure these IP addresses out..

What happens is, if you are connected to the VPN, ALL outgoing traffic goes through the VPN and the Plex servers don't understand where that traffic came from and will block it. If your server is reported as being at one address and the traffic comes from another, that makes it look like something is spoofed.

If you have a firewall or VPN that can separate your traffic, I have the IP addresses for you.

The good thing is, the IP address ranges that you'll input, don't effect how your channels are retrieved; meaning that you can still get international channel content from channels like BBC iPlayer or CBC.

I had to use a very special feature on my firewall called ISP Redundancy and route traffic to certain IP ranges directly to the source. This also helped with Verizon FiOS throttling stuff like Netflix and Vudu.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

slick3r

Apr 3, 2014

I have PMS with a VPN. There are a few things you need to set up before you can get it to work. (Also works for vudu)

Basically, the VPN won't work because it needs access to a few IP addresses that it can communicate directly with the myplex servers but not through the VPN. I did tons of packet sniffing to figure these IP addresses out..

What happens is, if you are connected to the VPN, ALL outgoing traffic goes through the VPN and the Plex servers don't understand where that traffic came from and will block it. If your server is reported as being at one address and the traffic comes from another, that makes it look like something is spoofed.

If you have a firewall or VPN that can separate your traffic, I have the IP addresses for you.

The good thing is, the IP address ranges that you'll input, don't effect how your channels are retrieved; meaning that you can still get international channel content from channels like BBC iPlayer or CBC.

I had to use a very special feature on my firewall called ISP Redundancy and route traffic to certain IP ranges directly to the source. This also helped with Verizon FiOS throttling stuff like Netflix and Vudu.

Hi abuttino,
Thanks for the info. I'm ordering a new, more powerful router and should have it by tomorrow. I will be using DD-WRT firmware on this new router. DD-WRT should have builtin VPN and firewall. I've been reading on the firewall features, and it seems that it allows routing traffic both ways based on ip addresses. What I'm not sure about his whether or not the routing is running inline with the vpn or can be set to run parrallel so we can have some traiffcs encrypted and some are not.
So for the exception to the IP addresses that need unencrypted communications, do they require both ways (from internet to Plex and from Plex to internet) or just one way?

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
They need to run in both directions. I'll give you the IP ranges when you are ready, but be prepared to run wireshark to sniff out more IP addresses if myPlex doesn't connect

slick3r

Apr 3, 2014
They need to run in both directions. I'll give you the IP ranges when you are ready, but be prepared to run wireshark to sniff out more IP addresses if myPlex doesn't connect

Hi abuttino,

I bought an Asus RT-N66U thinking I was able to use Android usb tethering (Asus said that it could) but I haven't been able to get it going. I must be able to use this router with usb tethering first before configuring VPN. Thank you. I will keep you posted.

ermacwins

Aug 25, 2009
Hi abuttino,

I bought an Asus RT-N66U thinking I was able to use Android usb tethering (Asus said that it could) but I haven't been able to get it going. I must be able to use this router with usb tethering first before configuring VPN. Thank you. I will keep you posted.

Does the RT-N66U have a server and dlna function that can be used with Bubbleupnp?

smartymcfly

Hi smartymcfly,

Thanks for the info. It seems step 3 above is to turn the laptop into a wifi hotspot. However, In my case the laptop is already visible throughout the whole network because it's attached to the router via an ethernet cable. The router gets its internet from the USB port attached to a smart phone and all devices attached to the router.

Based on your instruction (step 2) is to connect to a vpn. I will try to run Hotspot Shield on the laptop to see if that helps. My router is an Asus wl-520gu running DD-WRT so I think it has builtin VPN server, I will try that too.

By the way, did you get your Plex Server to work without T-mobile upsell? Thanks

Sorry for the untimely response...

in step 2, in your case you would need to connect your router to VPN
or
Connect computer to VPN, create hotspot and have your chromecast connect to newly created hotspot but this way would defeat the need to use the router. This the way I have it. There is also an app named klink that may allow you to connect phone to VPN and push all traffic through VPN but I do not know how well it works or if it will work with chromecast.

Last edited:

smartymcfly

Hi abuttino,

You may need to update the routers firmware. Or install one that will allow it.
http://support.asus.com/FAQ/Detail....DB9-CC0E-5F67-85F7D3FB48E4&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)
"B. Update the firmware to version 3.0.0.4.268 or later"

http://www.flashrouters.com/routers...router-tomatousb-router-privateinternetaccess
If you use privateinternetaccess for your VPN their is a Tomato firmware customized for it Tomato Version:*K26VRT-N
It lists the firmware.

http://www.flashrouters.com/tomato-firmware-router-information

https://gist.github.com/joshenders/3941269

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's how I did it !!!

I'm also tethering via T-Mobile & ran into the same problem as you !!! What I've done before the 15250 update was run an app named Network Spoofer downloaded from blackmart app // I turned hotspot on my phone & my Asus Tf700 was connected to the WiFi created by t mobile I used VPN unlimited & while its connected // I ran the Network spoofer app & I either use adblock *** or redirect traffic through phone - this being the most often used option !!! After selecting redirect // I selected default gateway // I then chose the IP address that my chromescast is using // the chromecast name under IP address sometimes doesn't show up // so you'll have to know what your chrome cast IP address is // you can find this by using the chrome cast app !!!

"Solution A

Solution B
    - Go to left sidebar and select*Manage Wireless Networks
    - Go to top left and select*Add
    - Select*Next
    - Add a*Name*and*Password*(leave security type on*WEP) and Checked*Save this network*option

Solution C
    - Press*Windows Key + R*and type*ncpa.cpl
    - Select current WiFi Adapter and Right Click on it and select*Properties
    - Go to*Sharing*Tab and checked*Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection
    - [WINDOWS 8.1]: go to left bottom screen and selectCommand Prompt (Admin)
    - [WINDOWS 8, 7 or Older]: Press*Windows Key + R
    - Change PASSWORD 12345678 and SSID AMASTANEH in below text and type it on black terminal screen
    netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="AMASTANEH" key="12345678"
    - you can start and see the ready network with this command
    netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Solution D
    - Download Virtual Router (Wifi Hot Spot for Windows 8, Windows 7 and 2008 R2) fromhttp://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/
    - Install and Run and Enjoy ;)

Solution E
    - Download*Connectify from*www.connectify.me
    - Install and Run and Enjoy ;)"

4.connect chromecast to wlan hotspot created in step 3

Step 3's source comes from here
    http://blog.amastaneh.com/2014/01/how-to-create-windows-wifi-hotspot.html?m=1
    Is there any way to connect to internet via VPN (PPTP, L2TP-IPSec, or OPENvpn). Is it possible to install the necessary system/binary stuff to be able to so through adb, ssh, or telnet. I am connected to the internet through my phones hotspot, my laptop is connected to VPN. And when I am not connected to VPN for any reason I can make the chrome useragent changer to appear as an ubuntu or linux machine running chrome. When the content being requested is local on laptop plex media server and requesting it through patched plex it can play just fine, and that is with the laptop connected to internet via VPN, when I try to play something on plex that is streaming it just hangs like it wants to play but doesn't load. when I attempt to play streaming media via AVIA I get sent to the 4gLTE ISP provider (tmobile) upsell page that appears when they sense that you have something connected via wifi hotspot tether. I think that when plex is hanging at the loading page that it is also getting the upsell page but it just doesn't show up on the screen. If it is possible to make the CC connect through VPN or change the user agent of the chromecast I should be able to bypass the upsell page that is saying I can't connect via wifi tethered devices. This makes me think that the dns servers I have set in eureka web panel may not actually be making their connection through the servers from openNIC that I set it to use. The chromecast can communicate with my laptop when it is connected to VPN simultaneously without a problem.

Is it possible to innstall the privateinternetaccess PIA VPN app on the chromecast and add it to the eurekarom whitelist? or any openvpn app will work so other people with different vpn providers can also connect with the correct configuration files in place. Or does anyone know how to make the chromecast go through VPN that is active on phone, like the way a router that is connected to VPN makes all of the clients connected to it go through the VPN without the need to sign in to the vpn on each device.

Any other suggestion?

Here's my setup