[APP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dkelle4

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 9, 2010
Chicago, IL
Worked for me on my EVO with CM6. For me it basically just skipped the splash screen and booted straight from the boot animation. It was definitely quicker.

Now what are the +\- of using this versus just doing a normal reboot? Pretty much what does a normal reboot provide us that this cant?

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Worked for me on my EVO with CM6. For me it basically just skipped the splash screen and booted straight from the boot animation. It was definitely quicker.

Now what are the +\- of using this versus just doing a normal reboot? Pretty much what does a normal reboot provide us that this cant?

On the galaxy S it is 2 times as fast as a normal reboot (clocked: 19s. hot reboot, 43s. normal reboot) Don't know about the EVO CM6.

+ is that one can kill all tasks at once and start with a clean system (snapier)
+ if one has to reboot because of a change: faster
+ beautiful reboot animation :D

- the system isn't totally reinitialised from the start (properties from build.prop aren't reset), but then again why does it have to?
- don't know yet.

I see it as a fast task killer, system memory cleaner and a handy, fast reboot option if changing something requires that.

mengsuan

Aug 15, 2008
mengsuan.blogspot.com
Works very well on my SGS too. I get to regain as much memory as a cold boot.

Just 2 things:
1. Can the app implement a confirmation text box in case of accidental tap?
2. I am not seeing the beautiful reboot animation. Did you mean the circular thing that comes before it shuts off?

Minor side effect: If wifi was on before the reboot, wifi remains off although wifi is still showing as on from notification bar. Have to off then on wifi again to reconnect.

I forsee myself using this app very often from now on. Good job! :D

Last edited:

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Works very well on my SGS too. I get to regain as much memory as a cold boot.

Just 2 things:
1. Can the app implement a confirmation text box in case of accidental tap?
Actually a good idea. And users can set that on or off if they want. Good tip!

2. I am not seeing the beautiful reboot animation. Did you mean the circular thing that comes before it shuts off?
Yep!!! Don't you like it :D
But expect more in the future. I'm planning a whole multimedia show when the user reboots his device. Then it will be a real hot reboot app!

Minor side effect: If wifi was on before the reboot, wifi remains off although wifi is still showing as on from notification bar. Have to off then on wifi again to reconnect.
Will look at it.

Druter

Aug 17, 2010
Next to useless

Yeah sure it reboots the graphics shell but it doesnt kill any other apps to be honest, when I come back from a cold reboot I am usually left with about 205 megs of mem but with this 134 averegae after 5 retries. uninstalling from my Samsung Galaxy S

mengsuan

Aug 15, 2008
mengsuan.blogspot.com
I've put that to a test. I started an application like msn talk which I know would stay running in the background. Upon using this hot reboot, the application restarted as well.

On the side note, my galaxy s never had any free memory more that 160 megabytes on cool boot. This hot reboot gives about 140 megabytes, which I found reasonable to use.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Jun 26, 2009
Sintra
Brilliant idea. Of course coming from Nederlands!!!
Do you have the same program for the WM6.5, which comes originally with the HJD2??? Is it fully safe ??? I have horror to the confused "usual" hard resets...

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
Please post the command this app uses to achieve this.

I've seen my phone do this sometimes, (unexpectedly reboots in <20 seconds)
Interestingly if you're on a phone call at the time, the call stays active all the way through the boot screen until the lock screen appears again. (the phone app gets restarted I guess)

thanks

bluazul

Mar 13, 2010
I just tried this on my rooted Samsung Moment. All that happens is a popup says "rebooting" for a second, then disappears. Nothing else appears to happen...

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Some background info (hope this answers all the questions above): the app kills the system server and reboots android without rebooting the linux kernel. It uses busybox to execute the command because not all devices come with the same set of linux/unix commands. So yeah, you need to have busybox installed otherwise you see only the beautiful animation. Furthermore, there are buggy busyboxes around so you may wish to install the newest from the market.

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Please post the command this app uses to achieve this.

I've seen my phone do this sometimes, (unexpectedly reboots in <20 seconds)
Interestingly if you're on a phone call at the time, the call stays active all the way through the boot screen until the lock screen appears again. (the phone app gets restarted I guess)

thanks

Did you have the former version of my (lite) LCD DC on your phone. It contained a bug that sometimes caused a unsolicited reboot at startup :eek: The newest updates of both versions have this bug (definitely) fixed.

khukman

Jun 5, 2009
Tampa, FL
Thank you, thank you!

This is the kind of App that makes my life simpler. Thanks so much for such a simple app that is Incredible(y) useful!

Rob
HTC Incredible Rooted
Redemption ROM 2.02
"It does everything Incredible(y) well and fast"

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
Did you have the former version of my (lite) LCD DC on your phone. It contained a bug that sometimes caused a unsolicited reboot at startup :eek: The newest updates of both versions have this bug (definitely) fixed.
No I have never tried those apps. Restarting the phone fixed the problem. The restarts happened while on a call. (5 times)
This app works great btw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts