DROID 4 Utility Pre-Release [WINDOWS]

Search This thread

mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
UPDATED PAGE!

Back with another utility... this time pre-release Droid 4! I haven't seen a Droid 4 board yet so I guess I have to put this under General.

There are no fastboot files as of writing this (2/11/2012) but once they come out I will be making a full version that includes fastboot restore. For now, only a few MB compared to GB full.

Includes Root function thanks to Dan Rosenberg's motofail exploit.
It is the only reason we can have a working utility root!

Donate to his fund for the Red Cross here

Note to all: I am giving control of the Droid 4 Utility to skylarmb (Although I will still be very involved ;) )

Don't use Safestrap yet!
Hashcode is making a D4 version very soon!

Motorola Drivers (If its not working install this.)
32 Bit Link: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...al_Drivers/MotoHelper_2.1.32_Driver_5.4.0.exe
64 Bit Link: http://goo-inside.me/apps/mattlgroff/Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.4.0_64bit.msi

sylMG.png

Size: 2.09 MB
MD5: 8b44666a5d97137292ec03e74f8b75d7
Link: http://goo-inside.me/apps/mattlgroff/Droid4Utility0.3.zip

Changes in 0.3----

Enjoy~!

If you feel like contributing to my Razr Dev fund you may do so here. ;)

Screenshot of what the folder should look like in order for it to run:
NDE0J.jpg

Last edited:

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
And if anyone could do a system pull and send me a copy over a file-share site like mediafire or minu.us that would be very helpful to me. Thanks

EDIT: Nvm. I got one.

Last edited:

moah909

Oct 16, 2010
Sekret
What do the different options do? I went from having a OG Droid, with cyanogenmod which was super straight forward to this and I have no idea what the fastboot or bootstrapping does.

If you still need the /system pull I can send you the link over PM.

Last edited:

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
What do the different options do? I went from having a OG Droid, with cyanogenmod which was super straight forward to this and I have no idea what the fastboot or bootstrapping does.

If you still need the /system pull I can send you the link over PM.

Bootstrap is the way to get into a CWM-like recovery for the Razr. I have no way to test this on a D4, seeing as I don't have one.

ICS root works on the GSM ICS leak, so it may work for ours too.

Boot into Fastboot from Debugging (go directly to fastboot mode from the phone turned on and in USB Debugging mode)

Boot into Motorola Recovery from Debugging (same as above but into Moto Recovery)

ADB Shell (for more manually inclined users)

Reboot phone from Debugging

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
I have ADB 1.0.26 (at least that is what it says when I go to Start>Run>CMD>and type in adb.

Is there anything else I need to get the phone rooted? Any other drivers or anything along those lines. I know the phone needs to be in development mode, but I want to make sure all of the other software on the computer end is up-to-date since I've had a G1, Mytouch Slide 3G, G2, and Droid 3 before picking up this Droid 4.

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
I have ADB 1.0.26 (at least that is what it says when I go to Start>Run>CMD>and type in adb.

Is there anything else I need to get the phone rooted? Any other drivers or anything along those lines. I know the phone needs to be in development mode, but I want to make sure all of the other software on the computer end is up-to-date since I've had a G1, Mytouch Slide 3G, G2, and Droid 3 before picking up this Droid 4.

You'll need the latest Motorola drivers. I will add links in the OP

Reactions: nevrlow and Code3VW

ian3d

Jul 16, 2011
IL
Thanks! Has there been a tried and true wireless tether application yet? :)

I think most people use the one they use with CM.

code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
This one I think. You have to install via the APK.

Please correct me if there is a different one of this is the wrong one. I'm actually curious myself.

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
I have no technical explanation for this, but...

DO NOT RUN THE .BAT FILE AS ADMINISTRATOR.

If I right-click the .bat file and click "run as administrator" in Windows 7, everything would appear to work (at least to the splash screen), but when I selected option 1 it would come back with a bunch of lines of "the system cannot find the path specified."

When I just double clicked the .bat file it ran properly and am now set.

Again, I have no idea why it worked this way, but it did...at least on my system. Windows 7 64-bit here, btw.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

I think most people use the one they use with CM.

code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
This one I think. You have to install via the APK.

Please correct me if there is a different one of this is the wrong one. I'm actually curious myself.

Turns out you were right...loaded Wifi Tether v3.1 beta 11 from here and it works no problem! :cool:

phrir1

Dec 11, 2011
So we actually have safestrap already for the d4?

EXCITED! !!!!!!

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA App

phrir1

Dec 11, 2011
Ya wont be flashing anything just yet hopefully we get an ics rom soon since its so close to the razr

YahyaIsrael

Jan 9, 2012
Pomona
Thanks! Has there been a tried and true wireless tether application yet? :)

I was wondering the same thing, if the RadioCom Tether Hack worked. But I tried to enable the tether on the phone, and Verizon pops up a message as long as I have a $29.95 data plan then I can tether. So I went forward and enabled teather since I have the unlimited plan, and all seems well. I went to My Verizon web and checked to see if I'm being charged, or if another service has been added, and I see non. So I will try using this for now.

shadowace

Aug 10, 2006
So I used the utility to root my droid 4, but I did not install the safe strap. At this point I do not plan on doing any flashing or even heavy customization. I just wanted root for install of wifi tether and titanium backup. Is there a need for safestrap before I plan on getting into flashing etc?

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
So I used the utility to root my droid 4, but I did not install the safe strap. At this point I do not plan on doing any flashing or even heavy customization. I just wanted root for install of wifi tether and titanium backup. Is there a need for safestrap before I plan on getting into flashing etc?
I'd recommend against installing safestrap if you won't be flashing anything. =D

ByronCole

Feb 15, 2012
bricked my droid 4... for now...

I'm pretty pissed at my self... I softbricked my droid 4 days after i got it... now im just waiting for the fastboot restore option... I'll be checking back here every day now lol... does anyone know when it will be released, or is it even a guarantee it'll be released?

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
How did this happen? Best of luck on getting it fixed!

ByronCole

Feb 15, 2012
Well i had success using the droid razr utility before this one came out (of course cant fastboot recovery with it tho :( ), so i thought maybe the EternityProject WebTop Mod would work, so i tried installing it through adb and i went to do the 2nd step and found out webtop was disabled... I figure i did something wrong... so i went to restore the backup i made and all of the sudden its stuck in AP fastboot saying flash failure.

This really sucks cause i bought the lapdock 500 to go with the phone. Now I have 2 bricks sitting on my desk, until further notice.

I since i have insurance on this phone I am putting the phone up for sale on craigslist with an hdmi cable so someone can enjoy a small android tab and webtop if they want it for 120... anyone think I'll be able to sell it before the fastboot recovery is released?

Last edited:

reigndropz

Feb 26, 2009
Quick question....If I do a system pull and then try to throw a few things from UOT kitchen like battery percent.....would that work without the files being deodexed?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED PAGE!

Back with another utility... this time pre-release Droid 4! I haven't seen a Droid 4 board yet so I guess I have to put this under General.

There are no fastboot files as of writing this (2/11/2012) but once they come out I will be making a full version that includes fastboot restore. For now, only a few MB compared to GB full.

Includes Root function thanks to Dan Rosenberg's motofail exploit.
    It is the only reason we can have a working utility root!

Donate to his fund for the Red Cross here

Note to all: I am giving control of the Droid 4 Utility to skylarmb (Although I will still be very involved ;) )

Don't use Safestrap yet!
    Hashcode is making a D4 version very soon!

Motorola Drivers (If its not working install this.)
    32 Bit Link: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...al_Drivers/MotoHelper_2.1.32_Driver_5.4.0.exe
    64 Bit Link: http://goo-inside.me/apps/mattlgroff/Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.4.0_64bit.msi

sylMG.png

Size: 2.09 MB
    MD5: 8b44666a5d97137292ec03e74f8b75d7
    Link: http://goo-inside.me/apps/mattlgroff/Droid4Utility0.3.zip

Changes in 0.3----

Enjoy~!

If you feel like contributing to my Razr Dev fund you may do so here. ;)

Screenshot of what the folder should look like in order for it to run:
    NDE0J.jpg

You'll need the latest Motorola drivers. I will add links in the OP
    Apparently i did install safestrap, i forgot that i did. And the factory/data reset did uninstall everything but the damn safestrap. I have the developer of safestrap as a contact on google talk so ill ask him and then post how to do so for future referencing.
    Droid 4 Utility change of developer!

Hello all, Im taking over updating the Droid 4 Utility

This way mattlgroff has a little less work on his hands and can focus more on IMPORTANT things like bootloaders, ICS, etc...

Thanks!

The Droid 4 Utility is also now available for Mac and Linux! Look for the thread in the Droid 4 Android Development section!
    hey so Im a ****ing idiot, I didn't try calling anyone from my contacts on my phone when I got it, was just busy rooting and syncing . basicly I have this really random contact error where I can dial a number no problem..but if I go into contacts and click a name my contacts FC. I didn't root with this but Verizon tech said they would give me a new phone....so if I unroot..vzw will still take it back?

If you didn't change anything while rooted you should be fine. Not sure why Verizon wouldn't take it back if you unrooted it. The unroot "may" not uninstall superuser, I need to release a patch publicly to fix it. It definitely would if you used this utility though.

The necessary patched file is here