[KERNEL][4.2][3.4.x][5/17/13] All-Star Devs Kernel

Search This thread
Best battery life yet

This is the best battery life I have seen yet..granted, I haven't really put it thru it's paces..but w/ 4.2 on my s3, all the kernels eat battery...even on idle..w/ this...i'm at 95 percent on idle mostly after 1 hour but today at work i'll use it much more so will really put it thru it's paces..but idle is most important to me because if I get to like 45 percent i stop using it as much so it can last the rest of the night w/ no "oh no, where is my charger!" moments (i'm using row i/o and gov interactive default min/max is 1.350) I usually use pegasusq because i notice it has good idle and responsive awake state...but interactive on this kernel is doing really well and it was default..where ondemand is usually default..so i'm guessing the dev of this kernel likes interactive best....I wish devs of kernels would say...here is what I like for battery saving.....here is what I like for a balance....and here is what I like for performance....and here is what I like the best (favorite) or something like that, i know it's experemenation process..but..they tweak the govs..so they must have a favorite setting thing! lol

Swimguy14

Mar 7, 2011
pnw
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Re: [KERNEL][TMO][JB-4.2][1/20/13] All-Star Devs Kernel

No CPU adjustments, OC not available, deadline scheduler, interactive governor
About 20hrs since install.. No issues

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358876417764.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358876417764.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 447
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358876431252.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358876431252.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 449

ayysir

Aug 30, 2011
Bronx, NY
No CPU adjustments, OC not available, deadline scheduler, interactive governor
About 20hrs since install.. No issues
cpu is definitely available as I test my kernels for 3 days before I release them and I can OC with ease, unless I am misinterpreting what you are stating

other than that, thanks for the feed backk

ayysir

Aug 30, 2011
Bronx, NY
This is the best battery life I have seen yet..granted, I haven't really put it thru it's paces..but w/ 4.2 on my s3, all the kernels eat battery...even on idle..w/ this...i'm at 95 percent on idle mostly after 1 hour but today at work i'll use it much more so will really put it thru it's paces..but idle is most important to me because if I get to like 45 percent i stop using it as much so it can last the rest of the night w/ no "oh no, where is my charger!" moments (i'm using row i/o and gov interactive default min/max is 1.350) I usually use pegasusq because i notice it has good idle and responsive awake state...but interactive on this kernel is doing really well and it was default..where ondemand is usually default..so i'm guessing the dev of this kernel likes interactive best....I wish devs of kernels would say...here is what I like for battery saving.....here is what I like for a balance....and here is what I like for performance....and here is what I like the best (favorite) or something like that, i know it's experemenation process..but..they tweak the govs..so they must have a favorite setting thing! lol
I don't put in what are the perfect settings for the kernel because people use their phones differently. I leave it up to the user to find their sweet spot settings, which you are more then welcome to share.

Also give the kernel time to settle, usually after a few discharge periods it settles

Swimguy14

Mar 7, 2011
pnw
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

cpu is definitely available as I test my kernels for 3 days before I release them and I can OC with ease, unless I am misinterpreting what you are stating

other than that, thanks for the feed backk

:confused:
I didn't think I was a noob but I guess I am missing something! Which app are you using to OC? I have max MHz topping out at the usual 1512, voltage control/setcpu/toolbox pro offer no adjustments above 1512mhz..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358883460728.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358883460728.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 408

o193746285

Sep 18, 2012
Austin

Setcpu and rom toolbox allow me to. Maybe it's your rom, what rom are you using?

ayysir

Aug 30, 2011
Bronx, NY
:confused:
I didn't think I was a noob but I guess I am missing something! Which app are you using to OC? I have max MHz topping out at the usual 1512, voltage control/setcpu/toolbox pro offer no adjustments above 1512mhz..
I said in op, in bold, the max is 1.5ghz for now. I wanted to start off with a stable release, also i dont OC personally past 1.2ghz since i see no need unless I am playing a game or video on it. Oc just kills battery quicker

I use tasker to set my clocks. 384/1.2ghz when screen is on with superbad/sio and when screen if off its 384/700+ with powersave/sio.

Swimguy14

Mar 7, 2011
pnw
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

I said in op, in bold, the max is 1.5ghz for now. I wanted to start off with a stable release, also i dont OC personally past 1.2ghz since i see no need unless I am playing a game or video on it. Oc just kills battery quicker

I use tasker to set my clocks. 384/1.2ghz when screen is on with superbad/sio and when screen if off its 384/700+ with powersave/sio.

That's why i got confused when you said, in the previous post i quoted, that you could "OC with ease" so yes we misunderstood each other.
Anyways thanks for sharing your work with us!

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Will this run with Liquid Smooth?

Since liquid rom is based off AOSP 4.2.1, yes in theory this kernel will work fine.

P06o

Feb 16, 2012
NYC
Google Pixel 6 Pro

I am also using tasker to control the cpu now... Never tried it before, but I'm always wishing there were more apps with tasker integration and then discovering the work around when there's no other option.

The phone idled all night and I only lost about 5%. This is turning out to be pure gold for me tasker+ASDK = winsauce!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Reactions: ayysir

ayysir

Aug 30, 2011
Bronx, NY
I am also using tasker to control the cpu now... Never tried it before, but I'm always wishing there were more apps with tasker integration and then discovering the work around when there's no other option.

The phone idled all night and I only lost about 5%. This is turning out to be pure gold for me tasker+ASDK = winsauce!

i feel you man, I make tasker control everything. I have tons of profiles

P06o

Feb 16, 2012
NYC
Google Pixel 6 Pro

First you need to pay for tasker, then read... A lot. There's a step learning curve, especially if you aren't particularly good at organizing your ideas into steps/flowcharting. If you've ever written code in any language, tasker will quickly make sense. Beyond that there are plenty of good examples to follow online.

ayysir

Aug 30, 2011
Bronx, NY
First you need to pay for tasker, then read... A lot. There's a step learning curve, especially if you aren't particularly good at organizing your ideas into steps/flowcharting. If you've ever written code in any language, tasker will quickly make sense. Beyond that there are plenty of good examples to follow online.

Yeap Youtube and examples on xda helped me then I started making my own by organizing what i want to do. Exactly like coding many ifs and then like commands

eggydrums

Dec 13, 2010

Yeah I have tasker and I use it a lot but I've never tried controlling CPU with it :D

stevencpoynter

Sep 19, 2010

How is everyone's UI experience with this kernel? I'm getting a lot of glitches and UI stuttering with screen transitions and web experience.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

ayysir

Aug 30, 2011
Bronx, NY

How is everyone's UI experience with this kernel? I'm getting a lot of glitches and UI stuttering with screen transitions and web experience.

I'm getting none as far what's your settings

All-Star Kernel coming to Galaxy s3 soon

P06o

Feb 16, 2012
NYC
Google Pixel 6 Pro

I'm also having no difficulties... And I have loads of setting changes happening on the fly to complicate things (including governor switching during screen off states).

It would be helpful to know what settings you're using and how you've been controlling your CPU. Also how did you go about flashing this kernel?

Top Liked Posts