DTS Audio for android == LAWSUIT

How do you deal with DTS Audio?

• Total voters
Search This thread

JonesNguyen

Nov 7, 2006
Vung Tau
Place the downloaded folder on to your sd card. Start MX Player, go to settings, decoder, scoll to the bottom and select custom codec. Now browse to the folder you copied on to your sd card and select libavcodec.mx.so, click ok and bingo you got sound :good:

I've done as what you said but it still says "unsupported audio codec dts".

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Which mobile you are using?
Which codec pack you have installed?
I have personally tested the codecs.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

TheAquanox

Jun 29, 2012
I've spent quite a bit of time looking for the best player out there.

Following the recommendations posted here, none worked as described.

Best player right now with DTS support? BS Player! It does support Dts + Hw acceleration.

I would only recommend you to check the subtitle coding setting in case you use subs in other language than English.

I’m using ISO 8859 1 for Spanish.

Another VERY promising player is XBMC for Android but ir currently has limited HW acceleration support. It will dramatically improve in the followong versions though and it supports virtually every media codec out there.

Tested on Samsung Galaxy i9305.

Other players tested:

VLC Media Player: Does support DTS. Pixelated video on high bitrate movies. Crashed when selecting a secondary audio track.
DICE Player: No DTS. Crashes when selecting a secondary audio track.
MXPlayer: No DTS. Everything else works fine.
XBMC: Recognizes every codec but there's no HW Acceleration for S3 and most phones. It's initially intended for Android Based Standalone Box Players but support for mobiles will arrive down the road.
Mobo Player: No DTS Support. Selecting a secondary DTS Channel would take me back to the Primary non-dts track and there's no way to switch it back.
QQ Player: Does Support DTS but no HW Acceleration support for my device. Pretty decent SW decoding support... (Far better than XBMC) enough for 720p movies but not for 1080p. Battery eater.
VPlayer: No DTS Support.
BS Player: Once again, everything works perfectly. Remember to adjust your subtitle coding setting for non English subs.

Cheers!

Which mobile you are using?
Which codec pack you have installed?
I have personally tested the codecs.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Nosferatu.

Dec 20, 2011
Tampa, Florida
With codec pack mx works flawlessly with dts. Don't spread false information. Stock you would be correct though but other players can decode dts and after using most I feel mx is a better player.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

reddragon72

May 28, 2008
Houston, because I have a problem
So does this allow DTS over HDMI with all 5.1 channels? Same for AC3. Right now everything on my Galaxys2 and two other devices plays 2 channel only.

I know I don't have the same device as listed in this thread, but I am trying to gather info on issues with devices not pumping out all 5.1 channels in both DTS and AC3.

Thanks for your time

DubDubZA

Jun 18, 2012
Just wanted to say thanks. MX Player Pro with Tegra plugin works like a charm on my GTP-7500. I have the utmost respect and admiration for the clever people out there. Thanks for making life easier for not-so-technically inclined people like myself.

luci5r

Jul 4, 2008
DTS enabled ffmpeg for MX Player for Note II:

*LINK REMOVED*

Use H/W for video and S/W for audio.

Tested with MX Player Pro 1.7.7.

Should also work for Note v1, as well as for any other Cortex-A9 / Neon device.

EDIT: new here, just noticed this is in the S III section. Anyway, I was looking for a Note 2 solution and found this thread via Google, so hopefully this will help others like me.

Download the file; Winrar is giving me "file is corrupt" for a couple of the *.so files in the archive. Seems like this is the solution working for most people. Tried on two different machines and both give the 'file is corrupt' error on trying to unarchive.

Do you have a different link/archive?

napalmique

Apr 18, 2012
DTS audio *used* to work outofthebox in both DicePlayer (my old favorite), and in MX Player (my new fav), but both of them REMOVED the dts codec a few months ago apparently because of the threat of lawsuits from using unlicensed code.
(UPDATE: DicePlayer dev juami posted below that they were refused even the option to buy a license for DTS, because they prefer to deal with the big industry players instead; also, DicePlayer can still play dts IF you install an external codec plug-in)

Just curious what most people are doing out there in order to play their mkv videos with the very common DTS audio track (vs the less common AAC/MP3/etc audio tracks). Re-encoding phone-friendly versions with HandBrake; using an old app with DTS support; using a PAID app that paid the licensing fee (can't find one), or, something else...

EDIT: I'm going to keep a list here of players that are known to support DTS or not:

DTS IS SUPPORTED OTTB (for now):
VLC Beta - (h/w 1080p decode works! - BEST option, but, the app must be sideloaded, since it shows as incompatible with the US S3 in the Play store. See Time_Zone's post below for the attached VLC apk. Thanks!)
BS Player - (s/w ONLY (eats battery): h/w mode always falls back to s/w mode, but dts is ok. 720p s/w == ok; 1080p s/w == CPU can't keep up; too choppy)
Rock Player - (s/w ONLY (eats battery): no DTS when in h/w video playback mode, and s/w playback is blocky crap. Also, the app fails to playback a video when sent a video intent to play from another app)

DTS NOT SUPPORTED:
Video Player default - (Touchwiz, AOSP (CM10, AOKP, ...))
MX Player - (updated versions removed codec; google for old apk version)
Dice Player - (updated versions removed codec; google for old apk version (2.0.6), or try searching XDA for external plug-in support instead.)
Mobo Player

On my MK808 running finless 1.7:

- VLC buggy as hell, unsable;
- BS Player makes my unit restart, even with the ARMv7 support app installed;
- Rock Player Lite works like a charm, not sure if audio is 5.1 or not, I tend to think it is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DTS audio *used* to work outofthebox in both DicePlayer (my old favorite), and in MX Player (my new fav), but both of them REMOVED the dts codec a few months ago apparently because of the threat of lawsuits from using unlicensed code.
    (UPDATE: DicePlayer dev juami posted below that they were refused even the option to buy a license for DTS, because they prefer to deal with the big industry players instead; also, DicePlayer can still play dts IF you install an external codec plug-in)

Just curious what most people are doing out there in order to play their mkv videos with the very common DTS audio track (vs the less common AAC/MP3/etc audio tracks). Re-encoding phone-friendly versions with HandBrake; using an old app with DTS support; using a PAID app that paid the licensing fee (can't find one), or, something else...

EDIT: I'm going to keep a list here of players that are known to support DTS or not:

DTS IS SUPPORTED OTTB (for now):
    VLC Beta - (h/w 1080p decode works! - BEST option, but, the app must be sideloaded, since it shows as incompatible with the US S3 in the Play store. See Time_Zone's post below for the attached VLC apk. Thanks!)
    BS Player - (s/w ONLY (eats battery): h/w mode always falls back to s/w mode, but dts is ok. 720p s/w == ok; 1080p s/w == CPU can't keep up; too choppy)
    Rock Player - (s/w ONLY (eats battery): no DTS when in h/w video playback mode, and s/w playback is blocky crap. Also, the app fails to playback a video when sent a video intent to play from another app)

DTS NOT SUPPORTED:
    Video Player default - (Touchwiz, AOSP (CM10, AOKP, ...))
    MX Player - (updated versions removed codec; google for old apk version)
    Dice Player - (updated versions removed codec; google for old apk version (2.0.6), or try searching XDA for external plug-in support instead.)
    Mobo Player
    Awesome. I'll give it try, even through from what I've read the beta is still very buggy & laggy.

Wonder how long they'll "get away with it" before removing DTS support too.

EDIT: VLC beta is currently incompatible with the US SGS3

huh... This one seems to be working for me...
    It looks like I'm not so new anymore:

mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-neon.zip (md5: e5bf7c05c680006d81fbccefb79fc713)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/e5bf7c05c680006d81fbccefb79fc713
    mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-tegra2.zip (md5: c64f7dc461d3f4c2bbda08c726f478c9)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/c64f7dc461d3f4c2bbda08c726f478c9
    mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-v6_vfp.zip (md5: 553367b419e6c855b6eb32f7abd35ec1)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/553367b419e6c855b6eb32f7abd35ec1
    mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-v6.zip (md5: 342a2a8bda3f9a8ebd5b62e95a8593a2)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/342a2a8bda3f9a8ebd5b62e95a8593a2
    mxplayer-v1-7-ffmpeg-2012-09-16-v5te.zip (md5: 6ea66726b362a73e9b962be7a05af3a6)
    -> https://anonfiles.com/file/6ea66726b362a73e9b962be7a05af3a6
    The impression I got is that DicePlayer switched from AdSupported&Paid versions to DonationWare in preparation of becoming AbandonWare. In any case, they removed DTS, so it's out of the running, and from the comments I read about the external dts workaround you mentioned: it doesn't work as well. VLC wins for now. Thanks, though.

That is your impression. but I am working for upgrading diceplayer. We do not adandon diceplayer. I am very upset and feel that I should really adondon diceplayer. Why do I do bothering jobs like supporting JB and fixing bugs and adding external codec features.

removing DTS is another problems. MX also remove DTS. we have same situations.

did you copy libffmpeg.so to /sdcard ( root of internal storage memory ). and enable custom plug-in and restart diceplayer?