I think I may have ruined my phone

Search This thread

haydenrbm

Jun 16, 2014
Hey there

I want to start off by saying I have very little experience with rooting, but am very familiar with jailbreaking apple devices so I figured i could manage.
I have a htc one m8 on rogers network locked. I rooted it and had super user and all that jazz, then flashed AOKP. Then I thought i actually liked the stock HTC sense better, so I tried to "get things back to normal"...lol.

Now im at the point where if i turn my phone on it goes straight to the fastboot screen(?) with all the "fast boot, recovery, factory reset, etc". Since I'm super new to all of this is there anybody that can write some instructions on how to get my phone back to stock? I would really appreciate it after panicking over this for 3 days.:eek:

Edit: In the fastboot screen at the top it says ***Tampered*** ***Relocked*** ***security warning**
also when i try to press recovery it shows the htc screen for 1 second then back to the same menu

i found this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2710735 but i cannot even get into recovery

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
Hey there

I want to start off by saying I have very little experience with rooting, but am very familiar with jailbreaking apple devices so I figured i could manage.
I have a htc one m8 on rogers network locked. I rooted it and had super user and all that jazz, then flashed AOKP. Then I thought i actually liked the stock HTC sense better, so I tried to "get things back to normal"...lol.

Now im at the point where if i turn my phone on it goes straight to the fastboot screen(?) with all the "fast boot, recovery, factory reset, etc". Since I'm super new to all of this is there anybody that can write some instructions on how to get my phone back to stock? I would really appreciate it after panicking over this for 3 days.:eek:

While being an expert with rooting and flashing custom recoveries on Samsung devices, I am also new to the world of HTC. Out of curiosity, what happens when you hit factory reset?

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Unlock the boot loader again then install twrp recovery then head over to the stock backup thread and flash one of the nandroids for your cid.

haydenrbm

Jun 16, 2014
While being an expert with rooting and flashing custom recoveries on Samsung devices, I am also new to the world of HTC. Out of curiosity, what happens when you hit factory reset?

When i hit factory reset it the screen changes to the HTC in green for 1 second then back to where i started

Unlock the boot loader again then install twrp recovery then head over to the stock backup thread and flash one of the nandroids for your cid.

I would...but when im trying to use ADB devices it isn't found

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
When i hit factory reset it the screen changes to the HTC in green for 1 second then back to where i started

I would...but when im trying to use ADB devices it isn't found

Do fastboot devices ... adb commands itself won't work in bootloader, it has to be fastboot commands.

mushages

Sep 2, 2009
Muscat
now you have a locked bootloader which means you cant do anything.. so your first step is to unlock it again then flash a custom recovery (TWRP) after that flash the stock rom+ boot.img ( to be safe) make sure it boots. RELOCK the bootloader then flash your firmware.zip.. hope it helps

haydenrbm

Jun 16, 2014
now you have a locked bootloader which means you cant do anything.. so your first step is to unlock it again then flash a custom recovery (TWRP) after that flash the stock rom+ boot.img ( to be safe) make sure it boots. RELOCK the bootloader then flash your firmware.zip.. hope it helps

How can I unlock the bootloader again without the device showing in adb?

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
How can I unlock the bootloader again without the device showing in adb?

If it's in bootloader it should show in command prompt when you type fastboot devices after connecting it to PC. If it doesn't then there is a driver problem perhaps. Check to make sure you have HTC drivers installed, or reinstall them. Might as well make sure adb is up to date as well, can do that through the Android SDK Manager. Another possibility might be that the usb cable isn't working correctly, try another cable. Fact of the matter though is, if it's in bootloader and you connect it to the PC adb/fastboot SHOULD pick it up.

So check and fix those things. Also make sure you use the correct commands, in bootloader mode, it'll be fastboot commands, not "adb devices" but "fastboot devices" ... "fastboot reboot" etc etc. Also make sure you're running the commands from within the adb/fastboot folder path(just for in case yeah...)

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Okay it is unlocked, but now it just stays on the AOKP boot screen

Thank you for the help btw, it must be very painful.

Press Volume UP + Power button, once the screen goes dead, press Volume DOWN + Power button to get back into bootloader. Then flash a custom recovery (Like TWRP) and start flashing the Stock nandroid backups, can be found from here Collection of Stock backups

Reactions: haydenrbm

haydenrbm

Jun 16, 2014
Press Volume UP + Power button, once the screen goes dead, press Volume DOWN + Power button to get back into bootloader. Then flash a custom recovery (Like TWRP) and start flashing the Stock nandroid backups, can be found from here Collection of Stock backups

Okay i have got into the bootloader now, thanks.
I cannot put the rom into the internal storage because my computer wont detect the phone

Last edited:

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
the adb devices will show it if i have it in recovery mode but not bootloader, why is that ?

You didn't read any of my posts about that, did you? lol

I already stated adb commands like "adb devices" "adb reboot" etc will NOT work in bootloader, it'll work in the system and yes, it'll work in recovery for sideloading etc, but NOT in bootloader. For bootloader you HAVE to use fastboot commands, "fastboot devices" "fastboot reboot" "fastboot oem lock" "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" etc etc

haydenrbm

Jun 16, 2014

I already stated adb commands like "adb devices" "adb reboot" etc will NOT work in bootloader, it'll work in the system and yes, it'll work in recovery for sideloading etc, but NOT in bootloader. For bootloader you HAVE to use fastboot commands, "fastboot devices" "fastboot reboot" "fastboot oem lock" "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin" etc etc

Sorry I skipped past your first response, that makes sense now.
So I need to put the rom on my internal storage then go into recovery and install the zip using TWRP..but when I plug my phone into the computer the internal storage wont show up.
I do have sync manager installed also, and it wont show up in that either

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
I cannot put the rom into the internal storage because my computer wont detect the phone

With that adb devices command again in bootloader? Did you flash TWRP yet? If so, Got to Advanced >>> ADB Sideload >>> Swipe to start sideload.

Place the ROM.zip file in your adb folder then:

Connect phone to PC, while still in recovery mode type adb devices to make sure your device gets picked up, should show you the serial number for device AS WELL as "sideload" next to it, if so then you are hooked up right. Next type adb sideload name_of_zip.zip wait until fully finished.

If sideload fails for one or other reason you can also try to push it. Reboot to recovery again, type adb devices to make sure device gets picked up, type adb push name_of_zip.zip /data/media/0/ or adb push name_of_zip.zip /sdcard/ flash as per usual then.

Yet somehow I don't think you even need to go to these steps :rolleyes:

Last edited:

haydenrbm

Jun 16, 2014
With that adb devices command again in bootloader? Did you flash TWRP yet? If so, Got to Advanced >>> ADB Sideload >>> Swipe to start sideload.

Connect phone to PC, while still in recovery mode type adb devices to make sure your device gets picked up, should show you the serial number for device AS WELL as "sideload" next to it, if so then you are hooked up right. Next type adb sideload name_of_zip.zip wait until fully finished, once done reboot back into recovery and flash rom.

If sideload fails for one or other reason you can also try to push it. Reboot to recovery again, type adb devices to make sure device gets picked up, type adb push name_of_zip.zip /data/media/0/ or adb push name_of_zip.zip /sdcard/ flash as per usual then.

haha..thank you for baby steps
The sideload completed and i rebooted then went back into recovery and install but there isn't a zip file anywhere

Edit: wow..some how i reset it and it turned on and got into the phone... and now it connects to the computer so i should be able to follow the other tutorial now...man you are a life saver thank you so much

Last edited:
Reactions: BerndM14

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
The sideload completed and i rebooted then went back into recovery and install but there isn't a zip file anywhere

Edit: wow..some how i reset it and it turned on and got into the phone... and now it connects to the computer so i should be able to follow the other tutorial now...man you are a life saver thank you so much

I made a small mistake with the sideload though, it actually installs automatically as such you don't have to go back into recovery to flash, as it did it already, sorry. Edited post to fix.

Well as long as you can get into phone now to copy the nandroid backup to the phone all should be in order, can flash back stock from the nandroid then.

Glad it worked out then.:good:

heartready

Nov 18, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S20
I made a small mistake with the sideload though, it actually installs automatically as such you don't have to go back into recovery to flash, as it did it already, sorry. Edited post to fix.

Well as long as you can get into phone now to copy the nandroid backup to the phone all should be in order, can flash back stock from the nandroid then.

Hello BerndM14, thank you for this baby steps. Mine m8 is a gpe version, it's 4.4.2 google rom, rooted, cwm recovery, s-on. I was trying to flash the full google 4.4.3 zip rom under recovery, however, after that, my m8 automaticlly enter recovery everytime reboot. And I can manually enter the bootloader, my pc can find the m8 both in recovery and bootloader. I searched this post, and do it accordingly, I download the gpe stock backup KOT49H.H16 - 1.16.1700.16 - CWM Philz touch and use adb sideload gpe3.zip to the cell phone sucessfully, then the recovery automaticlly starts installing rom, then, I got below message:
-- Erasing & formatting /system as ext4 (Unmounted system)
system partition formatted!
-- Mounting system partition for writing
Writing rom system to system partition
Rom system written successfully!
@symlinking and permissions
--Creating toolbox symlinks
--creating additional symlinks
Symlinks Set!
--installing busybox
Set_perm: some changes failed
E:Error in /tmp/update.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted.

Install from sideload complete.

then, I reboot it manually. problem still there, still enter the recovery automaticlly.
do you have any comments on this? please.
thanks,

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay it is unlocked, but now it just stays on the AOKP boot screen

Thank you for the help btw, it must be very painful.

the adb devices will show it if i have it in recovery mode but not bootloader, why is that ?

Connect phone to PC, while still in recovery mode type adb devices to make sure your device gets picked up, should show you the serial number for device AS WELL as "sideload" next to it, if so then you are hooked up right. Next type adb sideload name_of_zip.zip wait until fully finished.

Connect phone to PC, while still in recovery mode type adb devices to make sure your device gets picked up, should show you the serial number for device AS WELL as "sideload" next to it, if so then you are hooked up right. Next type adb sideload name_of_zip.zip wait until fully finished, once done reboot back into recovery and flash rom.