Fax Software

Search This thread

greenterp

Mar 20, 2004
Can anyone recommend Fax software that I can load onto my XDA II to enable it to sebd and receive faxes? I have a fax number that I had with Orange but O2 do not have the same facilities for fax so I have had to put the number on permanent divert to my home fax. Not good as I cannot read them when I am out on the road working. O2 refused to tell me any fax software as they cannot endorse any companies other than O2, and as O2 do not do the software I am stuffed! :( Any ideas?

greenterp

Mar 20, 2004
When I download will it wipe off anything I have on my XDA? I am very nervous about downloading stuff as I do not want to loose any info I have on my XDA. Thanks

ohmlogic

Oct 25, 2003
leeds
got the trial version can but says no carrier any advice ?

hi jus got the trial version of the sofware when i try to send a fax the program reports - dialing using internal modem - slight pause - then says no carrier signal ....... can you shed some light on this for me please .....

thanks heath.

ohmlogic

Oct 25, 2003
leeds
problem sending faxes !!! solution

hi loaded the software as noted above but on trying out the sofware i kept getting the message no carrier i found some info on the kse website which told me to ring my provider and ask if the sim card was enabled for fax !!!
ang guess what :oops: yep i am now waiting for the settings to filter through the system.....

i will report back to this thread with an update in errrrrrr 12 - 24 hours...
:)

ohmlogic

Oct 25, 2003
leeds
reporting back !!!!

very impresive have had the trial version running and have used it succesfully many time to send as yet not received any still working on that but information i have suggests i again need to contact my provider to be issued with a fax number ???....... will keep you all posted. :?

aperali

Mar 7, 2004
Rio de Janeiro
Why we need a fax number from provider?

Why we cannot use a standard gsm number?

Anybody knows another software capable to receive faxes without a special fax number?

:roll:

andyclap

I beleive you can't fax directly over GSM because it's a completely different set of communication protocols to fax. It's analogue for a start. GSM modems don't know about fax carrier signals etc. What happens when you get a fax number from yoyur provuder is this number goes to a box at your phone provider, which accepts fax protocols and converts things to go via a GSM data channel to your phone.

I wonder if a completely software fax solution would be possible, ie it opens the GSM audio stream and provides a software based implementation of fax comms. Probably impossible as even though anlogue fax and GSM audio are similar bandwidth (9.6Kbps) the GSM audio codec is geared to voice so wouldn't represent the fax singnal adequately.