[HOWTO] Internet calling (SIP) using pbxes redo gizmo5 is dead

Search This thread

ogdobber

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2008
OK, I have been testing a few different sip providers since hearing gizmo5 is on life support and the plug being pulled in april...
Keep in mind that ANY sip provider can be used (you just need to know the credentials)
So for example, if you have at&t uverse voip telephone, then you can set it up on your nexus s (as well as your cable provider voip or magic jack)
I don't use those, so I can't tell you how to do it, but it is all the same...

instructions

-download sipdroid from the market
-run sipdroid and click "New PBX linked to my Google Voice"
-enter username and password (note if you already have a pbxes account delete it or choose a new username)
-delete/uninstall sipdroid (you no longer need it because gingerbread can do voip natively, you just needed it to configure your pbxes account)

-now go to your phone settings/ call settings/ accounts
add account

username- your name/nickname-200
password- check pbxes for password(same as pbxes under extensions-sipdroid<200>)
server- pbxes.org
[set as primary]

couple things to note- to receive incoming calls check the box, but as it says, battery life will be reduced
with cm7, "internet" calls can be placed over 3g...so using this option all your calls can be free* ...every thing goes through google voice
add "some" personal data so they realize it is not a "drone" account

advanced "not working for free accounts"
go to pbxes.org and sign up for a free account
after you finish entering and verifying log out and log back in
go to the left hand side and click extensions and "add extension" then "sip"

Add SIP Extension

Extension Number: 200
Display Name: your name (or nickname)

Webcall not used

URL: http://pbxes.org/
Text:
Image:
Latitude:
Longitude:

Device Options

password whatever you want

Voicemail & Directory: to link gv

voicemail password: google voice password
email address: xxxxx@gmail
email attachment: yes no
Play CID: yes no
Play Envelope: yes no
Play Next: yes no
Delete Vmail: yes no
vm options:

submit and save

NEXT
click on trunks, then add trunks and select sip
at the end of the URL it will have =SIP change this to =GTALK and hit enter (see below)

https://www2.pbxes.com/config.php?display=6&tech=GTALK

enter google username and password and save
Add inbound and outbound routing

gizmo R.I.P.
Ok it has been two days and no one has ported over the tmobile wifi calling apk:p so I decided to do some research and get the native wifi (internet) calling working
this is a tutorial that has been done before for the nexus one using sipdroid...but we don't need that app for the NS.
not only does it work very good, but you can also make unlimited free wifi calls with it using one extra step;)

1- you need to get a sip client, there are many out there (I tried a bunch with no success), so I ended up using gizmo5
(gizmo5 was just recently purchased by google and is not accepting new accounts, but you can buy a "unused" one on ebay for $8 give or take)

2-Log into https://my.gizmo5.com -> Change email -> Change password -> Write down your Sip Number and username

3-on you phone go to settings/call settings/(internet call settings at bottom)accounts/add account

4-username: Gizmo username
password: Gizmo password
server: proxy01.sipphone.com
set as primary account (check)
*optional settings all remain default

5-after you back out it will save the setting and verify the account you can check receive incoming calls (needed for connecting google voice) and how you "use internet calling" as well
thats it, add money to your gizmo account and make wifi calls within the US for 1c a minute (or international for sightly more)

for added convenience connect gizmo to your google voice (needed for free calls as well)

6-go to https://www.google.com/voice
go to Settings > Phones
click "Add another phone"
name: Gizmo
number: +1747(gizmo5 #)
phone type: Gizmo
*verify the number

for free outgoing calls one more step is needed..

7-go to the market and download "google voice callback free" (or donate version)

8-enter your gmail address and password
-enter callback number-"gizmo number"
-check auto-answer the callback

Thats it:D wifi calling! free if you want (my experience is the call quality is a little better when you are paying a penny a minute (btw thats $10 for 1000 mins...beat that cell provider!)

This is pure VoIP solution. It does not use any voice minutes. It does not incur any charges for incoming calls either. If you are on WiFi, this is a completely free solution.
for outging calls you will incur a small per minute VoIP charge from Gizmo. It costs a fraction of what most cell plans charge.

credits-jacksonj51, smachine, Paul22000, Dave's Tech Shop

yet another solution....
MotorcycleKopp

how to: DETAILED 100% FREE Wifi/VoIP calling set up
I decided to write up this EXTREMELY DETAILED “step by step guide for dummies” on how to set up everything you need WITHOUT HAVING TO PURCHASE ANYTHING (ie. a Gizmo5 account off ebay, or calling minutes/credits)” to be able to place AND receive calls COMPLETLY FREE using WiFi. I’ve noticed that there are quite a few people here that are pretty lost, in regards to setting up this really cool feature on their Nexus S.... so I hope that this detailed “how to” clears up most all of the confusion. Not to mention that this is a 100% TOTALLY FREE way to set this feature (where as the other “how to’s” require that you buy a Gizmo5 account if you don’t already have one).

All you need is:
- your Nexus S (or any other WiFi enabled phone, I guess).
- a FREE Sipgate account
- a FREE Google Voice account (which you should have already anyways).
- the “Google Voice Callback FREE” app (free).

1 - Go to Sipgate.com and sign up for the free account (this will give you free incoming calls)
2 - Once your done setting up your account, click on “settings”.
3 - Click on “Sip Credentials” on the right hand side of the page.
4 - All the information you need to enter into your phone will be here.
5 - Get your phone, turn on WiFi (if not already done so), & go into your phone’s “Settings” …then “Accounts” (under the Internet Call Settings).
6 - Click “Add Account”.
7 - For your username, enter the “SIP-ID” which is shown on the “Sip Credentials” page (see step 3 & 4 above) ****NOTE: this is NOT the user name that you chose when you signed up with Sipgate, this “username” is generated & chosen for you by Sipgate****.
8 - For your password, enter the “SIP-Password” which is shown on the “Sip Credentials” page (see step 3 & 4 above) ****NOTE: this is NOT the password that you chose when you signed up with Sipgate, this “password” is generated & chosen for you by Sipgate****.
9 - For your Server, enter “sipgate.com”.
10 - UN-CHECK the “Set as primary account” box (used for outbound calls)..... that is, unless you DON’T want to use the Google Voice Callback app to be able to place calls for free too (steps 14 &15 below).
11 - Press the “back” button on your phone (which will save the info), and CHECK the box that says “Receive incoming calls” (reduces battery life).
12 - Under “SIP accounts” (on the same screen, on your phone), you will see your username @sipgate.com, and underneath it, the status of your connection will be displayed. It should say “receiving calls” (which means that everything is set up right & you are ready to go!!).
13 - Go to your Google Voice account & add your new Sipgate phone number to your Google Voice account (I believe that you can chose whatever “phone type” you want from the dropdown box, except for Gizmo). Verify the number (you will receive your first FREE WiFi call, from Google Voice).
14 - Now open up your “Android Market” and search for “Google Voice Callback FREE”. Download & install it. Once installed, it will be titled “GVoice Callback” in your apps list.
15 - Set up GVoice Callback according to your own personal preferences. Just make sure that you select your new Sipgate phone number as the “Callback Number”. Also check the “Offical GV app compatibility” box. I also checked the “Auto-answer the callback” box (though I don’t think this is necessarily required).
16 - Finally, exit out of that & go back into your phone’s settings. Go to “Additional settings” and just make sure that the “Call waiting” box is checked.
17 - And you’re done!! You can now place AND receive FREE phone calls using WiFi (through your Google Voice number).

****NOTE: One thing that I’ve noticed is that GVoice Callback only works on 10-digit phone numbers -so just make sure that you’ve included the area code in the phone number of all your local contacts if you want to be able to call them using GVoice Callback****

****ADDITIONAL NOTE: If you have been connected to WiFi for a while, and are trying to make a WiFi call, but you aren't getting a call back from Google Voice (you are stuck on the screen that says "waiting for call back").... just go back into your phone, and go to: "Settings" then "Accounts" (under Internet call settings), and then UN-CHECK the "Receive incoming calls" box. Wait a second or two, and then RE-CHECK the box. Also, try turning off & then on again your GV Callback app. After toggling these two things off & then back on again, you should be able to make the call & be connected relatively quickly (within a couple seconds)****

****ONE MORE THING OF NOTE: It has become apparent that, at times, the party which you are calling will hear an echo of their own voice, when using this set up. Perhaps a different SIP provider will resolve this issue?? Either way, I hope that this guide at least clarifies the process of setting something like this up. If a better method (better SIP provider, etc) is found, be sure to let me know****

Last edited:

ztm.000

Dec 29, 2008
Would it work also if we just ripped the T-Mobile apk from somewhere and installed it? This is a variant of UMA, correct?

Sent from my Nexus S

Psosmith82

Jun 17, 2010
Wheres the sip phone icon? I have it set to only call for internet calls. In the google demos, it actually shows a second phone icon with "sip" written on it. Where is that? Only getting it to work if its set to choose everytime or always

J

JupiterDroid

Ok it has been two days and no one has ported over the tmobile wifi calling apk:p so I decided to do some research and get the native wifi (internet) calling working
this is a tutorial that has been done before for the nexus one using sipdroid...but we don't need that app for the NS.
not only does it work very good, but you can also make unlimited free wifi calls with it using one extra step;)

1- you need to get a sip client, there are many out there (I tried a bunch with no success), so I ended up using gizmo5
(gizmo5 was just recently purchased by google and is not accepting new accounts, but you can buy a "unused" one on ebay for $8 give or take)

2-Log into https://my.gizmo5.com -> Change email -> Change password -> Write down your Sip Number and username

3-on you phone go to settings/call settings/(internet call settings at bottom)accounts/add account

5-after you back out it will save the setting and verify the account you can check receive incoming calls and how you "use internet calling" as well
thats it, add money to your gizmo account and make wifi calls within the US for 1c a minute (or international for sightly more)

for added convenience connect gizmo to your google voice (needed for free calls as well)

go to Settings > Phones
*verify the number

7-go to the market and download "google voice callback free" (or donate version)

Thats it:D wifi calling! free if you want (my experience is the call quality is a little better when you are paying a penny a minute (btw thats $10 for 1000 mins...beat that cell provider!)

This is pure VoIP solution. It does not use any voice minutes. It does not incur any charges for incoming calls either. If you are on WiFi, this is a completely free solution.
for outging calls you will incur a small per minute VoIP charge from Gizmo. It costs a fraction of what most cell plans charge.

Oggs you have more moves than a chess board;) lol

JD:p

b84cops

Dec 17, 2010
Would it work also if we just ripped the T-Mobile apk from somewhere and installed it? This is a variant of UMA, correct?

Sent from my Nexus S

Think this could get figured out in the next 10 days? If not, I have to seriously consider taking this phone back. I don't get cell coverage at my house.

ugh....

lithdoc

Dec 18, 2010
Detroit, MI
I'm having issues linking my gizmo account with GV account. My Gizmo will ring, but GV will not accept the verification code - it keeps saying "sorry, I didin't catch that." Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Last edited:

ogdobber

Nov 4, 2008
Sent from my Nexus S
the tmo apk won't work without a kernel that supports it, the lib files and a build prop mod...no, the tmobile uma client uses your cell minutes...this does not, it is pure voip

;)
Think this could get figured out in the next 10 days? If not, I have to seriously consider taking this phone back. I don't get cell coverage at my house.

ugh....
I was in the same boat, that is why I researched how to do this...now I am set. this is better than the tmobile app because it doesn't use your minutes:D
I'm having issues linking my gizmo account with GV account. My Gizmo will ring, but GV will not accept the verification code - it keeps saying "sorry, I didin't catch that." Has anyone experienced similar issues?
you are ahead of yourself... "turn off" all google voice on your phone and initiate the call from your desktop...then answer the gizmo call on your phone and enter the code (on your phone)...then turn on and adjust your gv settings

Reactions: AndroidMilos

IDtheTarget

Jun 21, 2010

I had to install the Gizmo5 client on my PC. Then when the Google voice verification call came in, there's a little down arrow at the top of the popup box. If you click that, you can open a text with "sound blasts" I think it was. There's a keyboard there, and if you click on the two numbers, GV will accept it.

ztm.000

Dec 29, 2008
Damn, seems like some of you guys are/were depending on this feature... It'd be nice, but I dont need it. Good luck to you all.

lithdoc

Dec 18, 2010
Detroit, MI
I had to install the Gizmo5 client on my PC. Then when the Google voice verification call came in, there's a little down arrow at the top of the popup box. If you click that, you can open a text with "sound blasts" I think it was. There's a keyboard there, and if you click on the two numbers, GV will accept it.

Well, I figured out what the issue actually was... I signed up for Gizmo some 5 years ago, but have not really used it. Anyway, they gave out 2 numbers - one SIP with 747 are code, the other with 775 (I don't know whether they still give those away). I had initially put in the 775, and while it would ring, it would not recognize my inputs. Once I changed it to 747, it all worked like a charm.

lithdoc

Dec 18, 2010
Detroit, MI
Hm, okay, so something is still not working. I followed the directions as listed in the first posting, but I still have no sucess making calls. It just says registered callback, waiting for google to call back, and it goes nowhere from there...

UPDATE: anyway, it seems to work when my gizmo app is open on the computer, but that's kinda useless, since I want to use the phone as the calling device. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

ogdobber

Nov 4, 2008
currently, i don't have a sip account. doesn't this still cost extra money to make happen? is there a cost per minute?

see OP
+10 char

.... but you can also make unlimited free wifi calls with it using one extra step;)

....gizmo5 was just recently purchased by google and is not accepting new accounts, but you can buy a "unused" one on ebay for $8 give or take)

...thats it, add money to your gizmo account and make wifi calls within the US for 1c a minute (or international for sightly more)

alphahere

Nov 6, 2010
Well, I figured out what the issue actually was... I signed up for Gizmo some 5 years ago, but have not really used it. Anyway, they gave out 2 numbers - one SIP with 747 are code, the other with 775 (I don't know whether they still give those away). I had initially put in the 775, and while it would ring, it would not recognize my inputs. Once I changed it to 747, it all worked like a charm.

You are lucky, gizmo stopped the 775 numbers a long time ago. It was supposed to be a back door to make free calls or have free incoming calls to your gizmo account. You have a valuable gizmo account :)

Does anyone know if this is a feature of gingerbread and will be available for other gingerbread phones?

Thanks.

ogdobber

Nov 4, 2008
does this change your phone number? i could never get this setup on the nexus 1, but is the addition of sip calling with gingerbread what makes this work?

if you go (call) through your google voice then that shows up...if you you use straight up gizmo then that will show...All of my numbers forward to my google voice so it doesn't matter what number people call, my phone will still ring;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, I have been testing a few different sip providers since hearing gizmo5 is on life support and the plug being pulled in april...
    Keep in mind that ANY sip provider can be used (you just need to know the credentials)
    So for example, if you have at&t uverse voip telephone, then you can set it up on your nexus s (as well as your cable provider voip or magic jack)
    I don't use those, so I can't tell you how to do it, but it is all the same...

instructions

-download sipdroid from the market
    -run sipdroid and click "New PBX linked to my Google Voice"
    -enter username and password (note if you already have a pbxes account delete it or choose a new username)
    -delete/uninstall sipdroid (you no longer need it because gingerbread can do voip natively, you just needed it to configure your pbxes account)

-now go to your phone settings/ call settings/ accounts
    add account

username- your name/nickname-200
    password- check pbxes for password(same as pbxes under extensions-sipdroid<200>)
    server- pbxes.org
    [set as primary]

couple things to note- to receive incoming calls check the box, but as it says, battery life will be reduced
    with cm7, "internet" calls can be placed over 3g...so using this option all your calls can be free* ...every thing goes through google voice
    add "some" personal data so they realize it is not a "drone" account

advanced "not working for free accounts"
    go to pbxes.org and sign up for a free account
    after you finish entering and verifying log out and log back in
    go to the left hand side and click extensions and "add extension" then "sip"

Add SIP Extension

Extension Number: 200
    Display Name: your name (or nickname)

Webcall not used

URL: http://pbxes.org/
    Text:
    Image:
    Latitude:
    Longitude:

Device Options

password whatever you want

Voicemail & Directory: to link gv

voicemail password: google voice password
    email address: xxxxx@gmail
    email attachment: yes no
    Play CID: yes no
    Play Envelope: yes no
    Play Next: yes no
    Delete Vmail: yes no
    vm options:

submit and save

NEXT
    click on trunks, then add trunks and select sip
    at the end of the URL it will have =SIP change this to =GTALK and hit enter (see below)

https://www2.pbxes.com/config.php?display=6&tech=GTALK

enter google username and password and save
    Add inbound and outbound routing

gizmo R.I.P.

5-after you back out it will save the setting and verify the account you can check receive incoming calls (needed for connecting google voice) and how you "use internet calling" as well

go to Settings > Phones
    *verify the number

yet another solution....
    MotorcycleKopp

I decided to write up this EXTREMELY DETAILED “step by step guide for dummies” on how to set up everything you need WITHOUT HAVING TO PURCHASE ANYTHING (ie. a Gizmo5 account off ebay, or calling minutes/credits)” to be able to place AND receive calls COMPLETLY FREE using WiFi. I’ve noticed that there are quite a few people here that are pretty lost, in regards to setting up this really cool feature on their Nexus S.... so I hope that this detailed “how to” clears up most all of the confusion. Not to mention that this is a 100% TOTALLY FREE way to set this feature (where as the other “how to’s” require that you buy a Gizmo5 account if you don’t already have one).

All you need is:
    - a FREE Sipgate account

1 - Go to Sipgate.com and sign up for the free account (this will give you free incoming calls)
    5 - Get your phone, turn on WiFi (if not already done so), & go into your phone’s “Settings” …then “Accounts” (under the Internet Call Settings).
    6 - Click “Add Account”.
    7 - For your username, enter the “SIP-ID” which is shown on the “Sip Credentials” page (see step 3 & 4 above) ****NOTE: this is NOT the user name that you chose when you signed up with Sipgate, this “username” is generated & chosen for you by Sipgate****.
    8 - For your password, enter the “SIP-Password” which is shown on the “Sip Credentials” page (see step 3 & 4 above) ****NOTE: this is NOT the password that you chose when you signed up with Sipgate, this “password” is generated & chosen for you by Sipgate****.
    10 - UN-CHECK the “Set as primary account” box (used for outbound calls)..... that is, unless you DON’T want to use the Google Voice Callback app to be able to place calls for free too (steps 14 &15 below).
    11 - Press the “back” button on your phone (which will save the info), and CHECK the box that says “Receive incoming calls” (reduces battery life).
    12 - Under “SIP accounts” (on the same screen, on your phone), you will see your username @sipgate.com, and underneath it, the status of your connection will be displayed. It should say “receiving calls” (which means that everything is set up right & you are ready to go!!).
    13 - Go to your Google Voice account & add your new Sipgate phone number to your Google Voice account (I believe that you can chose whatever “phone type” you want from the dropdown box, except for Gizmo). Verify the number (you will receive your first FREE WiFi call, from Google Voice).
    14 - Now open up your “Android Market” and search for “Google Voice Callback FREE”. Download & install it. Once installed, it will be titled “GVoice Callback” in your apps list.
    15 - Set up GVoice Callback according to your own personal preferences. Just make sure that you select your new Sipgate phone number as the “Callback Number”. Also check the “Offical GV app compatibility” box. I also checked the “Auto-answer the callback” box (though I don’t think this is necessarily required).
    16 - Finally, exit out of that & go back into your phone’s settings. Go to “Additional settings” and just make sure that the “Call waiting” box is checked.
    17 - And you’re done!! You can now place AND receive FREE phone calls using WiFi (through your Google Voice number).

****NOTE: One thing that I’ve noticed is that GVoice Callback only works on 10-digit phone numbers -so just make sure that you’ve included the area code in the phone number of all your local contacts if you want to be able to call them using GVoice Callback****

****ADDITIONAL NOTE: If you have been connected to WiFi for a while, and are trying to make a WiFi call, but you aren't getting a call back from Google Voice (you are stuck on the screen that says "waiting for call back").... just go back into your phone, and go to: "Settings" then "Accounts" (under Internet call settings), and then UN-CHECK the "Receive incoming calls" box. Wait a second or two, and then RE-CHECK the box. Also, try turning off & then on again your GV Callback app. After toggling these two things off & then back on again, you should be able to make the call & be connected relatively quickly (within a couple seconds)****

****ONE MORE THING OF NOTE: It has become apparent that, at times, the party which you are calling will hear an echo of their own voice, when using this set up. Perhaps a different SIP provider will resolve this issue?? Either way, I hope that this guide at least clarifies the process of setting something like this up. If a better method (better SIP provider, etc) is found, be sure to let me know****

All you need is:
    - a FREE Sipgate account

6 - Click “Add Account”.

Sent from my Nexus S
    the tmo apk won't work without a kernel that supports it, the lib files and a build prop mod...no, the tmobile uma client uses your cell minutes...this does not, it is pure voip

;)

ugh....
    I was in the same boat, that is why I researched how to do this...now I am set. this is better than the tmobile app because it doesn't use your minutes:D
    you are ahead of yourself... "turn off" all google voice on your phone and initiate the call from your desktop...then answer the gizmo call on your phone and enter the code (on your phone)...then turn on and adjust your gv settings
    would u mind PMing me your how to guide? I'd really appreciate it.

I got it to post finally.
    I started a new thread for it, titled....
    "how to: DETAILED 100% FREE Wifi/VoIP calling set up"
    you can see it at this link....
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10078413#post10078413
    Just an FYI.... if anyone is looking for MY "how to guide" it got moved (by the moderators apparently), and is now BURIED under this "faux free" thread. Regardless, here is the link to MY "truly free" how to guide, directly.....
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10078413#post10078413

motorcyclekopp, added to op... i will clean it up when I get time.
    yes, the mods merged yours onto my thread....in the future, if you have a different way (or better) of doing something ask the op to (add it to the op) this keeps the forum clean and less cluttered...;)